Thoughts on Healthy (or at least healthier!) Eating in the Parks

So two of my favorite healthier options are Pecos Bill in MK because of the amazing topping bar and Fairfax Faire at HS. Both had great healthier options.

I've lost a little over 20 lbs since June but figured I'd let my self eat whatever at Disney. Big mistake! I gained weight and felt terrible. Not worth it.

I try to eat healthy most of the year. Christmas, New Years, Birthdays and Disney Vacation I eat whatever and as much as I want. Isn't that what vacations are for?

I mean, if you are simply eating healthy due to weight then sure. But for me, I started working with a dietician because of health problems that are greatly reduced when I eat well. When I eat junk I feel pretty terrible and I don't like feeling terrible when I am on vacation.

But of course, a treat here and there isn't what I'm really talking about.

I gave up soda 2 years ago (that was a STRUGGLE!!) but sometimes I drink more fruit juices than I should. This coming trip my goal is to drink more water.
The snack credit is what gets me when I’m in Disney but this trip I’m there to Run Disney so I’ll treat myself. I will however avoid relying solely on all the fried foods.

I gave up soda 2 years ago (that was a STRUGGLE!!) but sometimes I drink more fruit juices than I should. This coming trip my goal is to drink more water.
The snack credit is what gets me when I’m in Disney but this trip I’m there to Run Disney so I’ll treat myself. I will however avoid relying solely on all the fried foods.
Which race? :) I'll be down for Princess!

I think you can eat as healthy (or not) as you choose at WDW like anywhere else. There are great salads and different foods everywhere and lots of choices (not cheap, but there) I really liked Satuuli Canteen at AK this past visit, love the bowls!

Any other recommendations for healthy quick service? Or just not burgers and fries?
Fairfax faire in Hollywood studios. Check out the Mexican items. Lots of veggies!
Pecos bill in MK has a topping bar that has tons of veggies
In AK Harambe village has some nice options!

talk to the chef - you can get low carb, low sodium food choices

Love this thread. I begin a three week holiday in a few days. I’m looking to eat cleaner after the holidays. I didn’t go crazy, but there have been more elaborate meals, more cookies, etc. I’m craving simpler, fresher foods. I plan on seeking out fresher foods and using my holiday time as the perfect opportunity to reboot. Like other posters, if I feel like a Dole Whip, I’ll have one. But during meal time, I’m going to seek out salads, veggies, fresher foods. I want to feel good. I also plan to enjoy the gym.

May I ask why you are looking for healthy stuff on a holiday?

I've gone back to dieting, but I'll be on a cruise (and then one day at WDW) later this month, and I'm not planning to stay strictly within what I'm supposed to be eating. I do plan to load up on vegetables and lean proteins and minimize carbs for at least two meals out of each day, though, even if I eat unhealthy snacks in between. I'm not looking to continue losing weight during the trip (I accept that I'm probably going to gain a bit, actually!), but I know I feel better and more able to keep moving when I eat relatively well, plus I'd rather not gain so much that I come back from the trip feeling like I sabotaged myself.

We are heading back to WDW next month and I am already thinking about the FOOD! We are not on the DDP this time and one thing I plan to do is ordering from kids menu at QS locations. I've done this before and not only does it save a little money but the portions are smaller and with the "Mickey check meals" there seems to be a bigger effort to providing balanced meals. If you are not on the DDP, they don't care if you order a kids meal or not at QS - it's different at Table Service places - so keep that in mind.
Also - I've read that you can always ask to swap out the standard fries for a fruit or veg side.
I know on vacation we like to treat ourselves - but if you eat much differently on vacation than you do at home, your body will likely not be too happy about it.

I love all the suggestions that everyone has been posting - but I have to ask, are they "healthier" options more expensive in many cases? I have not been to Disney in a while, sadly, b/c it isn't in my budget now... even in my day to day life, I find myself going with burgers & fries often because it's just a dollar or two cheaper than something healthier. I set the (typical) goal to eat cleaner this new year, and I'm inspired by everyone's tips to eat healthy even when on vacation!

I love all the suggestions that everyone has been posting - but I have to ask, are they "healthier" options more expensive in many cases? I have not been to Disney in a while, sadly, b/c it isn't in my budget now... even in my day to day life, I find myself going with burgers & fries often because it's just a dollar or two cheaper than something healthier. I set the (typical) goal to eat cleaner this new year, and I'm inspired by everyone's tips to eat healthy even when on vacation!

I didn't find that healthier options were more expensive. In fact, it was often the opposite, where the healthier option was actually cheaper. You can see this in the below list of options with price comparisons (I'll list what I consider the healthier option on the right).

Columbia Harbour House: Land and Sea Trio ($13.99) vs. Broccoli Peppercorn Salad with Chicken ($10.99)
Harambe Market: Ribs ($13.49) vs. Beef and Lamb Gyro Flatbread ($10.99) or Grilled Vegetable Stack ($9.99)
Be Our Guest: Grilled Strip Steak ($36.00) vs. Layered Ratatouille ($22.00)
Skipper Canteen: Grilled Steak ($35.00) vs. Steak Salad ($19.00) or Curried Vegetable Crew Stew ($18.00)
Liberty Square Market (snacks): Turkey Leg ($10.99) or Hot Dog ($7.49) vs. Mixed Fruit ($3.99) (though, to be fair, a chocolate chip cookie is $3.29!)

I went into planning our trip expecting that it would cost us more to try to eat better, and was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't the case. Good luck with your goal this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter