Thoughts on WDW before or after 4-Night Bahamas Cruise

R2Dad2

Earning My Ears
Wife and I have been taking our crew (5 kids aged 16-8) to WDW every 3 years for the last 12 years, but this time a 4 Night Bahamas cruise on the Dream (9/28 from Canaveral) is the focus at the request of a grandparent. We're going to try to squeeze in a short (3 day?) trip to WDW before the cruise, but are debating whether to put it before or after the cruise. Thinking before might make the most sense, but looking for insight from those with experience.

It's nice to do it before the cruise as we felt like being on the ship was relaxing after the hustle and bustle of the parks. Personally, we do a couple days before and a couple days after when we do a 4 night - then we don't have to worry about getting to the airport on the same day as embarkation or disembarkation.

Enjoy your cruise!

For sure before, Disney Parks with kids = vacation after to recover.

Solid advice on the flight/airport, but fortunately we don't have to fool around with flights and just drive south 7 hours from Atlanta. And I get the sentiment behind using the cruise to "recover." I think that's why we have only gone to WDW every 3 years...it takes us that long to recover from the last trip. Maybe if we "recover" on the cruise we'll come back sooner.

My daughter and I just did 4 days at WDW before our 4 night cruise. I am so glad we did WDW first because we were able to recover. Granted it took until the 2nd full day of the cruise to get there but I think if we had done it the other way around I would still be hurting a week later.

Agree about before. We spent a few days at WDW after once, and it almost felt like we never went on a cruise. :)

Wife and I have been taking our crew (5 kids aged 16-8) to WDW every 3 years for the last 12 years, but this time a 4 Night Bahamas cruise on the Dream (9/28 from Canaveral) is the focus at the request of a grandparent. We're going to try to squeeze in a short (3 day?) trip to WDW before the cruise, but are debating whether to put it before or after the cruise. Thinking before might make the most sense, but looking for insight from those with experience.
Another vote for parks first, cruise second.

Always do WDW before the cruise. It is part of our 'get to the cruise one day ahead' plan. Flying into MCO from NM is a good half-day adventure for us. Besides, even one day at the parks is like running the marathon all day. I can't imagine doing it again and again after a relaxing cruise.

My preference is WDW before the cruise. We've done it the other way because that's how the schedule worked out (when the Dream left on Sundays for 4-nights), but given a choice I'd do WDW first.

Enjoy your vacation!

My husband and I cruised in November to Nassau. We did the Christmas party the night before the cruise and then when we disembarked we went to Hollywood Studios for the day. On arrival we stayed at All Star Movies and on last night we stayed in the tower at the Coronado Springs. Very nice and highly recommend it.

My husband and I cruised in November to Nassau. We did the Christmas party the night before the cruise and then when we disembarked we went to Hollywood Studios for the day. On arrival we stayed at All Star Movies and on last night we stayed in the tower at the Coronado Springs. Very nice and highly recommend it.
That's because you went to DHS before RotR opened. I wouldn't recommend this strategy at the moment. DHS is a madhouse.

That's because you went to DHS before RotR opened. I wouldn't recommend this strategy at the moment. DHS is a madhouse.
Yikes. One of the main reasons I'm wanting to do the parks it to finally go see GE at DHS. Hopefully it will calm down by September.:chewy::earsboy:

All right, the consensus is clear and the debate is settled. The wife and I agree, and we're going to do three nights at WDW before. Now on to the next debate, which resort and which of the four parks gets left out? But that's for a different forum I suppose. Thanks for the input.

This is what we have done both times we cruised...a 3 day park trip before the cruise. We've debated going the other direction and adding it on at the end but in our experience, the cruise is SO much more relaxing than the parks that we like to end with the cruise. Its a nice way to wind down the vacation. Start with super hectic park days, then a crazy busy first day on the ship getting to know our way around, figuring out everything, etc... and then we slowly settle in and just breathe!!

Another reason to do the parks first.

On the ship, almost ALL food is included. Kids get in the habit of snacking on whatever/whenever they want. Their meal plus a grown up appetizer to sample? Seconds on drinks? Soft serve ice cream? Dessert at every meal? No problem on the ship.

That attitude at the parks will cost a fortune.

All right, the consensus is clear and the debate is settled. The wife and I agree, and we're going to do three nights at WDW before. Now on to the next debate, which resort and which of the four parks gets left out? But that's for a different forum I suppose. Thanks for the input.
Caribbean Beach Resort would give a nice Caribbean feel before you head out to the Bahamas. Just a thought.

This is not the advice you asked, but may I chime in with an alternative? A four day cruise, wonderful as it is, will fly by at the speed of light. It's really only 3 days out of the port, and at the end of the second full day out they start telling you about disembarkation!

I would skip WDW and take a 7 day cruise. Since we visit WDW often that's easy for me to say, but I just offer it as a though. The cost would be "about" the same for 3 WDW + 4 DCL vs 7 DCL. You'll have some relaxing days at sea, visit more ports, have more entertainment, get a chance to see all the MDRs plus Palo if you want, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter