• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Three Things...Gratitude Thread

I'll be honest...April isn't usually one of my favorites and this year, there's more than usual that's making me anxious about the month. April is sort of a busy calm before the storm that comes in May and early June. It's both work and school related. This year is going to be exceptionally crazy, but looking for the good...

1. DHs birthday- It's mid month and it's a crazy week. I have plans for a cake, but I'm trying to figure out when I'll be able to make it.

2. Bluebonnets- Only once have we done iconic Texas bluebonnet pics, but it is nice seeing the patches of blue flowers here and there at this time of year.

3. The calm before the storm- While the anticipation and anxiety over the storm is there, my Aprils are now much less frenzied than they used to be. I was previously in a work team that was much more impacted by tax season and Aprils were awful. Now, I am in a totally different area and while I do have a territory with an end of April deadline, I'm afforded 2 months to get it in. I got it finished last month, so April is clear for early prep of my monster problem child territory (with an absurdly short window) that turns over in June.

April is the last month of classes, so that's nice! Of course, it means summer classes are on the horizon and that's pure H-E-double hockey sticks, but still, it's nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for the semester.

My bulbs are starting to come up!

We can always have snow in April, but getting to April is a psychological lift, the whole "we made it thru another winter" feeling.

ETA: I was up early this morning (Tuesday, not Monday when the poll was posted, around 5am) and realized that the birds are back! Lots of song filling the air today!

Last edited:
Projects !! Too many to count I’ve been trying to tackle one every weekend from tiny to chip away at the bigger ones

Got my sinks cleaned - figured out how to get the drain stoppers out after 6 yrs abd clean them and flushed the pipes to clean the drains - one drain was plugged and got it cleared - so proud of myself !!!

Stupid sliding screen door came off 3 times I figured out how to put that back on in its tracks and get it working properly

Sliding closet door / came off its track - got it back on and adjusted its bracket to slide correctly!!!

This may not sound like much but I had zero knowledge on any of the above and zero power tools - blessings to people who post Google how to videos to show you how to fix these things absolute God
Send for me !!! I’ve done several other little things all thanks to Google !!! I’m very grateful for people who post these videos !!! ❤️🙏🙏🙏😊

(Tues, 4/2) - 3 projects you're grateful you did (or hired done, if DIY is not your thing)

1. This one was hired done, but so glad we did it - we widened our driveway. We have a side entry garage and our driveway just wasn't wide enough to let cars park in it (at all) and still get in and out. So, one of the first things we did when we moved in was widen the driveway. Sounds minor, but when there is always an extra car parked outside, it was super inconvenient!

2. Landscaping - DH and I worked on it (he did more than me, but I did help).

3. Building shelves in our storage room - again, DH did most of the work, but I helped figure out plans and what all materials we would need.

Sacred to me building of my closer walk I pray to and with God by His Love.

Dad has put together over the years such as bookcases. Dad and I were both grateful to a worker through IKEA assembling a tall bookcase/storage drawers for us a few years ago along with two small carts with drawers.

We both enjoy putting together 100 piece jigsaw puzzles🧩Creating/Personalizing cards and scrapbook pages mean a lot to me, too.

1. I really like assembling furniture and fitness equipment. They're like big puzzles that become functional once completed.

2. In our last house, we needed to do something with our worn master bathroom counter and sink basins before putting our house on the market. It wasn't in the budget to put in a new counter, so I refinished it with this granite look product. I had to sand everything down, remove the old caulk, take out the fixtures, apply layers of this stuff to give it the look of stone, seal it, re-caulk, and then add in new sink fixtures. I got some help on the fixtures and had to hire a glass guy to take out the massive mirror, but it looked so good when I was finished.

3. I can't take credit for the actual gutting and execution, but I did the designs for the remodeling of our bathrooms on my own. Tile shopping was the most fun (and funny). I would pick slow times to go in and lay out tiles in large scale mock ups on the floor to see what worked best together. Seriously, for our blue bathroom, I had 1/2 scale model of the main shower wall laid out on the floor of the store. The shower wall involved three kinds of tiles, including a really bold inlay. I needed to make sure it was bold "wow" vs. bold "eyesore." Once I picked every single tile, cabinet, sink, fixture, glass door, tub, mirror, grout, paint, etc., I made elaborate digital design boards for the contractor. Over time, I've regretted some of those choices, but they should be easy fixes whenever we go to sell this house.

1. I do elaborate hanging baskets every year. I enjoy picking out the plants and color schemes.
2. Stacked planter herb garden—I did that myself with a little help from DH with the heavy lifting. We had a mild winter and I am noticing many plants already coming back—more than usual.
3. In the fall I often plant bulbs in containers for the spring. Earlier I had a pot of grape hyacinths bloom. They are all done, but my larger hyacinths are blooming in my dining room right now and I have a pot of tulips ready to bloom on my porch.

The flagstone fire pit that me and boy put in during COVID. It is a large circle of flagstone with the pit in the middle. We did it the right way, no cutting corners with the leveling, foundation and stone. It turned out to be a lot of work but was well worth it to have time with the boy.

Fast forward to last summer. We hired the landscaper to put in a flagstone pathway on the side of the house. My back and knees thanked me for that. :D

Good Wednesday Morning :wave:

No rainbows by me today, but we will have snow showers :headache: 👎🏻

#1 - Yellow - Daffodils. I have none in my yard, but I like looking at them in other people’s front yards. I really should plant some bulbs this autumn (I say this every year)

#2 - Green - Watermelons. It’s a safe fruit for me to eat. I’ve had such a taste for watermelon lately.

#3 - Blue - Stitch. I’ve always been a Stitch fan, and now my DD20 is too (she’s been seeing him around our house almost her whole life). Stitch has become so popular, that it’s been fun buying DD Stitch things.

Green- Money. Sounds crass to say, but it's nice to not worry about things, moment to moment. We lived for many years with less than adequate income. While we aren't rich by any means, it's nice to know that an unexpected bill (car repair, medical expense) won't force us to carry a credit card balance anymore, like it did for quite a while.

Blue- The ocean. I am not a beach-person, but walking along the ocean or sitting watching the waves is my "happy" spot.

Purple- So many lovely things are purple: Lilacs, tulips, wine, grapes, eggplant, my favorite Maleficent leggings (which I'm wearing and is what made me choose purple)!

Red - my favorite color !! My red Minnie Mouse Harvey Purse I’m grateful I got it clean myself so I could continue using it as I love it so much !!

Orange - fresh orange juice - love it can’t drink it anymore but was grateful when I could as it’s delicious

Yellow - 😊 always associate this as the happy color - it’s just a nice calming color I’m grateful my bedroom is a shade of yellow / orange very calming

Green - I’m grateful for green grass so my weeds have a place to grow for my pesky deer and those adorable rabbits 🐇🦌

Blue - I’m grateful for blue jeans my mother hated them why I don’t know but we as kids were not allowed to have them didn’t get any until I was a teen and purchased my own ❤️

Purple - my second favorite color - I always have at least on room in my house painted a shade of purple and own several purple shirts love this color

ORANGE - While uniforms and fan gear have complimentary colors, my college has just one official color. LET'S GO ORANGE!!!!! 🍊

YELLOW - It's one of my faves in general. It's the color of my office. It's the color of the Crocs that I'm wearing at this very moment. It's also the color of the big school bus taking DD17 to Galveston for a 3-day HOSA state competition and the color of the big buses that get DD15 back and forth from away games. So, grateful for the buses. 🚌 It's also the color of softballs, but that's closer to neon. 🥎

BLUE - While I love the first two and will wear them, blue is my favorite color. I love blue flowers, I go gaga over bluebirds (saws several pairs over the weekend), I like blue colored birds in general (even those squawking blue jays), my home office chair (that I'm barely using since switching to a standing/walking desk) is blue, my bedroom walls are blue, and when possible...I will opt for a blue vehicle. 🐦🚙💙

Our bouquets for myself and my bridal party-I used wood flowers and made them all myself
Some of the paintings/drawings I've done-not that they're amazing-just happy they look like what they're supposed to be lol
I was able to change the electrical box and the filter on our old furnace myself

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter