Tipping at Palo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otimon

DIS Veteran
Contrary to popular opinion, an article I just read stated that tips were already included in the extra cost of the meal for special dining on the ship. Makes sense it would be but who knows for sure? How about evening dining at Cabanas? Not much solid info on this from Disney.

Contrary to popular opinion, an article I just read stated that tips were already included in the extra cost of the meal for special dining on the ship. Makes sense it would be but who knows for sure? How about evening dining at Cabanas? Not much solid info on this from Disney.
Can you cite/link the article please?

It has been reported on these boards that some portion, probably quite small, of the Palo dining fee does go to the server as a gratuity. That being said, most choose to offer additional gratuity as it is not enough to cover what the tip on a similar meal's price tag on shore would be.

I've heard that the cost for Palo includes the tip, but that was not from an official Disney source. We've only eaten there as Platinum so we always leave a tip anyway.

Great question. DH and I will be eating at Palo for 1st time. I want to make sure not shaft anyone.
Do I leave an extra tip? Will it be taken from the onboard credit account?

Time was DCL was more transparent about how much, if any, of the extra cost went as a tip. When they raised to cost of Palo a few years ago, that information sort of disappeared. And the statement "your discretion" comment as to whether to tip at Palo appeared on the DCL website.

There's no definite answer available to us, the general public. Many people just tip as they deem the service/meal to be worthy of.

I've been told (by other guests) that the portion of the tip that's included in the upcharge is pooled to be shared by all Palo servers, and, if you tip additionally, that goes directly to your server. Don't know how true that is.

Last edited:
we normally over tip.................more than 20% of the ticket because a comparable meal would be much more than 40 a head.

Anyone have any guidelines? We are eating dinner there (without alcohol) and I was expecting to add $20 to the bill for an even $100. Is that good enough? It's 25%.

When it was $30pp, we left an extra $20. Now that it's $40pp... I'll probably still leave an extra $20. I disagree with the "it would cost more on land so more tip is justified" mentality since I've already paid to eat that day (a fairly substantial amount, I would argue, given the cost of the cruise itself).

When it was $30pp, we left an extra $20. Now that it's $40pp... I'll probably still leave an extra $20. I disagree with the "it would cost more on land so more tip is justified" mentality since I've already paid to eat that day (a fairly substantial amount, I would argue, given the cost of the cruise itself).
I was just giving the reason why we tip how we do................as someone said earlier, the tipping is discretionary so feel free to tip how you feel is appropriate for your situation.

I was just giving the reason why we tip how we do................as someone said earlier, the tipping is discretionary so feel free to tip how you feel is appropriate for your situation.

Yes sorry I didn't mean to single you out, I have however heard many times that people say a tip should be based on the "land" price of the meal so I was responding to that. In any event a comparable meal here in my (large, urban) city wouldn't be more than $40 pp (=$55-60 CAD) so I feel pretty comfortable with a tip at $20. Everyone certainly views things differently.

How about evening dining at Cabanas?

My understanding is that servers at Cabanas get a portion of the standard gratuity for dining room staff, so it is not necessary to tip them separately. You can, of course, leave a gratuity for excellent service, but it would need to be in cash since you won't have a charge to sign.

The situation in Palo, as others have said, is less clear. We do tip separately comparable to what we would tip for a similar meal on land, because the Palo staff may not benefit from the shared gratuities.

My understanding is that servers at Cabanas get a portion of the standard gratuity for dining room staff, so it is not necessary to tip them separately.
Where did you see that?

The daily auto gratuity on DCL is per guest is $13.50. That breaks out to
$4.50 per day to your room host
$4.50 per day to your dining room server
$3.50 per day to your assistant server
$1.00 per day to your head server.

Those gratuities go directly to your specific servers, not into a pool to be shared.

You can see on this gratuity coupon sheet that the names of the people receiving the gratuities as well as the actual amount going to them is indicated
gratuities sheet 2014 0220 P1040185 1500a.jpg

The servers in Cabanas are in training. They are salaried. You can tip them or not, as you deem the service to be worthy of.

Anyone have any guidelines? We are eating dinner there (without alcohol) and I was expecting to add $20 to the bill for an even $100. Is that good enough? It's 25%.
That’s what I would leave but maybe $25 now that they raised the price.

FWIW, our Palo server at brunch on the Dream in March specifically said any gratuity for him was not included in the cost of eating there. I’ve never had a server say that before, especially without being asked. I wondered if they’ve had fewer people tipping now that it’s gone up to $40pp.

I’ve never had a server say that before, especially without being asked.
I would be wary of any such claims made out of the blue. Typically, Disney doesn't like their employees discussing what they are (or are not) paid. That would include gratuities.

I'm not saying that there is a substantial (or even any) tip included in the Palo upcharge. Just that such information, volunteered without question being asked, may or may not be true. Or only partly true.

Cabanas -- My understanding is that the servers in Cabanas in the evening are "in training" and get a wage and are therefore not expecting any tips. I have read recently that evening Cabana servers have actually refused tips.

The servers at b'fast and lunch in Cabanas are part of the MDR serving crew and get their tips via the daily tips that people pay (or pre-pay)

Yes sorry I didn't mean to single you out, I have however heard many times that people say a tip should be based on the "land" price of the meal so I was responding to that. In any event a comparable meal here in my (large, urban) city wouldn't be more than $40 pp (=$55-60 CAD) so I feel pretty comfortable with a tip at $20. Everyone certainly views things differently.

I would love to find a Palo level meal for $40 pp. There are higher end chain restaurants like Flemmings, Fire Birds, and Morton's that cost more than $40 pp. If you go on vacation to, say, New Orleans, and eat at Antoine's, it would be at least $75 pp without the baked alaska or any alcohol. Admittedly, Antoine's is better than Palo, but still. Maybe I need to visit your city.

As for tipping at Palo, it depends on if you get the wine pairing or not. Without the pairing, we typically do $20 a person. With the pairing, I may do $30 for those with the pairing and $20 for those without since you're getting extra attention from multiple cast members (sommelier).

FWIW, our Palo server at brunch on the Dream in March specifically said any gratuity for him was not included in the cost of eating there. I’ve never had a server say that before, especially without being asked. I wondered if they’ve had fewer people tipping now that it’s gone up to $40pp.
Mine said the same thing on the Dream as well. He basically said gratuities were at my discretion and made a point that he received nothing from the cost pp.

He was a great server though (one of the best I ever had) and deserved a generous tip which I was glad to give him. My mom didn’t like all the explanations and long speeches but I assured her this was a completely different dining “experience” from what she’s used to. The servers at Palo and Remy take tremendous pride in their work. Best to relax and take it all in. I was a bit under the weather that day so my appetite wasn’t all there, but we still enjoyed ourselves and spent roughly 1.5 hours there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter