• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for first cruise with prosthetic / wheelchair?

brentm77

DIS Veteran
We will be cruising for the first time with my daughter since she lost her leg to cancer. She will have a new prosthetic by then, but I suspect use will be limited to short durations still. She will most likely use arm crutches for much of the cruise, and a wheelchair when worn out. We have an ADA room on the Wonder, for a four night Baja cruise to get her acclimated to traveling again. For those with similar experience, would you mind giving me some feedback?

1) What does the muster drill look like with someone with mobility impairments? I'm picturing those crazy crowds and backed up elevators, and it looks extra difficult. Do they have anywhere to sit if she isn't in her wheelchair? I assume it's best to just get there really early and then wait for the crowd to disperse? (Do the ADA rooms go anywhere unique for the drill, like the theater, or do they put you out on deck if that is the normal place for that area of the ship?)

2) Disney knows of her impairment - will they take this into account when assigning dinning? It would be much easier to have a table that isn't difficult to get to.

3) Do you have any other tips? I want this to go well to build her confidence.

Thank you!

Go to your muster station early and explain the situation. Depending on where it is, they may have a spot off to the side of the group where she can wait, or they may have another option. They should be able to get her a place to sit, especially if you get there early. I don't think ADA rooms have a special muster location; muster stations are assigned based on room location and easy traffic flow in case of evacuation. Having ADA rooms go to their own location could possibly disrupt that.

Once you get onboard, go to wherever Dining Changes is located (it'll be listed in the app). You can talk to them about your table location-wanting one that's easy for your daughter to navigate to, etc. If they haven't already set that up, they can take care of that for you then (easier to do then than once you're at dinner).

@RedHead0186 , I think those are excellent suggestions. On board, I use a rollator and recently on Wish they had those who had limited mobility sit in a certain are and we were dismissed ahead of the others. Now, both times our Muster Station was in the Marvel restaurant.

Sorry to hear about your's DD's cancer and amputation. I hope she is doing well now and enjoys the cruise as a reward for all she's been through!

If she might need to sit for the muster, I would not count on having a place to sit unless she uses her chair. I'm sure she prefers to use the prosthetic and walk, so maybe let her decide. It will be the same muster location as other staterooms in your area.

If she needs to use the elevator to get to the muster station, be sure to go early. Speak with the CM and ask if she can be excused a couple of minutes early. I know they often do that with folks in wheelchairs to get a head start towards the elevators. Otherwise, just hang back and let the crowds disperse after the muster drill.

For dining, I would contact Special Services and put a request for "wheelchair pathway to table" on your reservation. That way whether she is walking or using the wheelchair, the table should hopefully be easily accessible. Unless specifically requested, I don't know that they will automatically assume anything with regards to table assignment. Also be aware that table location can vary by MDR, so while a specific table number might be close to the door in one MDR it could be in a corner at another MDR.

Enjoy your cruise!

Depends on which cabin, if it's one of the aft cabins those muster in Animators Palate as one of the locations. Also as lanejudy said the Muster Leaders normally allow those in wheel chairs and scooters to leave a minute or two early to grab an elevator.

Depends on which cabin, if it's one of the aft cabins those muster in Animators Palate as one of the locations. Also as lanejudy said the Muster Leaders normally allow those in wheel chairs and scooters to leave a minute or two early to grab an elevator.

It is aft, Deck 7. Do you know if that will be Animators?

In a true emergency when the elevators won't be available, the crew would carry your DD down stairs to the muster station. So it's good for her to meet the crew in the area and make sure they're aware of her situation.

My 12 year old has been in a wheelchair our last two cruises on the Wish and the Fantasy.

1. I would try to show up 10 minutes early to the muster drill and then just let it clear out. Our last muster drill was on the Fantasy and was located in the theater. We just grabbed an accessible seating spot.

2. They should take that into account. I believe there is a help line for guests with special needs that you can contact and remind them (in case you haven't talked to them already).

3. If you ever go to Castaway Cay they have Beach wheelchairs that can go in the water. Also, the Wish (and I assume the Treasure) are a little more accessible friendly. The Aqua Mouse is accessible and there is a built in pool lift in one of the pools.

On the Fantasy last month my wife and I had to haul my son up the stairs to the Aqua Duck so he could finally ride it. We have a mesh soft mesh seat/sling with handles but it was still a chore, since he's approx 100 lbs. It was well worth it as he had been too small to ride it on his 3 previous Fantasy/Dream cruises. Now that he was finally tall enough he could no longer walk up the stairs. Best GoPro video ever!!!

We will be cruising for the first time with my daughter since she lost her leg to cancer. She will have a new prosthetic by then, but I suspect use will be limited to short durations still. She will most likely use arm crutches for much of the cruise, and a wheelchair when worn out. We have an ADA room on the Wonder, for a four night Baja cruise to get her acclimated to traveling again. For those with similar experience, would you mind giving me some feedback?

1) What does the muster drill look like with someone with mobility impairments? I'm picturing those crazy crowds and backed up elevators, and it looks extra difficult. Do they have anywhere to sit if she isn't in her wheelchair? I assume it's best to just get there really early and then wait for the crowd to disperse? (Do the ADA rooms go anywhere unique for the drill, like the theater, or do they put you out on deck if that is the normal place for that area of the ship?)

2) Disney knows of her impairment - will they take this into account when assigning dinning? It would be much easier to have a table that isn't difficult to get to.

3) Do you have any other tips? I want this to go well to build her confidence.

Thank you!
When on the ship have her consider which physical activities give her the best bang for her buck.
For example, is it really worth it walking the entire length of the ship standing in elevators to get to dinner? Perhaps it would be a better plan to bring the wheelchair and crutches but leave the wheelchair safely outside of the restaurant and walk into your table. Especially recommended since when my father started using that system, he felt he was able to get a more comfortable chair for dinner than the wheelchair itself. Also why tire out the leg standing in a line that wouldn’t give you a place to sit down when rest would be required?
Bring the chair on port stops because a leg sore could slow her recovery or stop her from getting the most out of her vacation.
You do want to get places early because when you’re in a wheelchair and a standing room only event you lose options quickly. The pirate show up on deck nine will have a handicap section for you and the family with the wheelchair to sit stage left.

we stayed in a handicap room and seem to go just about anywhere in the restaurant not always closest to the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter