• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for January

SilverL

My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!
Well, my family is going to WDW in January. 10 people. 3 young kids and 3 teens, grandparents and my mom and dad.

I was wondering how hot it is in January?

How crowded is it?

Would it be better to lug around the filtered water bottles than to buy bottles water at the park?

What is the tallest height requirement at WDW?

Thanks!

- Shawna

I always travel to WDW in Jan, and will be again in 2003. Weather is unpredictable, 2 years had perfect weather nice sunny days highs around 20/23. One year was so cold we wore the coats we brought from Canada the entire week. I don't know if its coincidence but the cold year was the first week of Jan the warm years we went the sec. week of Jan.

I love Jan. because the crowds are very light. Last year we didn't need to use FP once and never waited longer than 10 mins.

If you like the water thru those filtered bottles that would definitely be your cheapest option, bottled water is expensive in the parks.

I am um...vertically challenged (barely 5ft) and I travel with my 6yr old son, so I've only ever paid attention to min height requirements, not maximum!!
Happy planning and have a wonderful trip!!

I hope you have a great time at WDW in January, that is our favorite month to go. It really isn't very crowded at all, and even though the hours the parks are open are shorter than in the summer you just don't have the long waiting lines in January. The last time hubby and I went was January '01 and we never used "fastpass" at all, didn't need it. Most times we could just walk right onto a ride/attraction, or if we did have to wait it was never more than 10 minutes. It was great!! :D
As for the weather? We live in Michigan so we're always just happy to get away from the SNOW!! :) We took both warm weather AND cold weather clothes, and used them all. During the day we wore shorts and t-shirts, but at night needed long pants and sweatshirts. Actually, last time they said it was the coldest winter Florida had had in 50 years, so it was pretty chilly at night. I was kind of wishing I had ear muffs and gloves, but we still had a GREAT time! We've gone in January several times and the last time was the coldest, but still nice during the day and you could swim if you wanted to.

Thanks for the info :)

I was wondering about the height requirements because all my three cousins coming are pretty short.

I'm trying to talk my mother into the water bottles, considering bottles water is like 2.50 in WDW I tihnk it would be worth getting the bottles.

We went last august, but it was just me, my mom, dad, and my little sister. I don't like vacations with them because there's no one my age, but this year i'll be with my cousins that are only a year apart from me :)

One last quesiton, and I know it's gonna sound odd, Are all the toilets automatic flushing toilets?

My little 6 year old cousin Jessica is afraid of auto toilets because htye always flush while she's sitting on it LOL!

To answer your toilet question, not all the toilets are automatic flush but a lot of them are. We solved the problem with a tip I learned on these boards. Just bring a tiny pad of post-it notes and stick it over the sensor. It won't flush when she's on it and then just take it off when you leave and it will flush. It worked out great for us on our last trip!! Have fun in January, and remember, just bring layers (one of them being fleece)!!
Also, check out wdwig.com, I think that will answer all your height requirement questions.

I can't give you any info on January (but everyone else already has), but I always bring a filtered bottle with me to WDW. In the morning I fill it up with ice and a little water and depending on how hot it gets, the water stays cool most of the morning. It's one of the best investments I've ever made!!! :p

We squeeze in a Jan. trip every year. The weather is a little unpredictable. I've had a couple of trips with perfect 70-80 degree weather and one with temps in the 50s. You just have to pack a little of everything for a Jan. trip! The upside is the crowds are nonexsistant. No waits for anything!

I'm also going in January and although I'll pack clothes for all types of weather, I really hate having to carry something I really don't have to. I'm just affraid I'll get there with something warm and then not need it, and then I'm stuck with it all day.

We are going in January also, but will have the stroller to carry our jackets/sweatshirts in. I will also be checking www.weather.com for the 10 day forecast to at least get an idea of how cold/hot it may be then. I can't wait to get back to WDW!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter