Tips for non park stay at SSR?

DisneyJen

<font color=FF66FF>Chairs the "Keep the Park Game
Greetings fellow DVCers!

DH and I have just booked a 3 night get-away for 8/15 to 8/18 at SSR while DD visits her grandparents:cool1: I had to twist DH's arm (actually the trip is costing us next to nothing as we are using FF miles and DVC points) and promise no parks this time as he doesn't like the parks when they are hot and crowded:confused3

We own at BWV and have stayed at OKW. This is our first trip staying at SSR. We have seen it from the golf course and spa though.

We have ADRs for Yachtsman Steakhouse with a plan to go to Jellyrolls afterward; Turf Club Bar and Grill with a plan to go to DTD afterward, and Citrico's.

Was wondering what other ideas fellow DVCers have other than enjoying the pools?

Thanks!

You can catch a movie at DTD.

Play some minature golf at Blizzard Beach or in front of the Swan Hotel.

Go Resort hopping, maybe do afternoon tea at Grand Floridian.

Rent a boat on one of the lakes.

Do one of the back stage or behind the scene tours.

Golf and spa day.

Illuminations fireworks cruise.

Cruise on the lake to watch Electric Water Parade and fireworks.

Richard Petty driving experience.

Fishing excursion.

Surf lessons at Typhoon Lagoon.

I know you said no Parks, but we like to "Drink" around the world!

Funny you should ask! We are taking the same trip a week ahead of you... We actually just got back in June from our 9 day family trip and loved our first visit home to SSR so much that we are going back without my son to celebrate our 6th Anniversary... We love the pool there and have no problem lounging all morning, taking a nice walk to DTD. visiting a water park (A great deal by the way at about 30 dollars a person with the DVC discount), ect.... Enjoy yourself:cool1:

We enjoy the spa, renting boats & Winter-Summerland.

SSR shows movies at the Grandstand pool on select nights. Details will be on your resort fact sheet when you check in.

If you will have a car, don't forget the beach is not far (nice day trip) & there is outlet shopping.

The previous poster has some great ideas, but here's a suggestion:

I haven't had the chance to do this myself yet, but if you're up for a nice morning walk, there is a path from SSR to OKW. I think it's about a half hour walk (though I could be slightly off).

If you time it right, you can always take the boat back from OKW if you don't care to walk back. My wife and I love a good walk, and of course the views are lovely.

By the way, I'm with your husband on the parks; I'd much rather kick back and take in other things Disney than fight the crowds/heat during the busy season!

Have a nice trip.

Great ideas tomandrobin and richardsa98!

We like to DAW (drink around the world) too:goodvibes We haven't seen AKL yet so I was thinking of having a drink there as well as our favorite happy hour monorail loop:lmao: Maybe a progressive lunch on the monorail loop?

Are there any umbrellas/shaded spots at the pools richardsa98? I :love: the sun (of course I use sunscreen) but DH is more of a "I need shade" person? One of the things we love about the quiet pool at BWV is the tables with umbrellas.

Please keep the ideas coming!!

Thanks!

Thanks Minniegirl and veenstra56!

Love the idea of walking from SSR to OKW. We too love an early morning walk (we are early risers who will need naps before heading out to dinner).

We will have a car (I got a great deal at Budget with our Costco membership) so off property trips are possible too ... although I think there is so much to do on property that we don't get to when we have our family trips. DD (who is 14.5 years old) isn't much into resort touring while DH and I love to check out the theming and vibes.

We keep saying we are going to stroll around Celebration too. Maybe this trip we'll get to it.

Some local friends recommend the restaurants over there as well.

You can always take the short drive to Celebration and have a look around. A couple of good restaurants there as well--
And there is an excellent mini-golf course (Pirates Cove) just off Disney property near the Crossroads shopping area. Their "difficult" course is pretty good.

Never thought of visiting Celebration! Another great idea.

I read a lot about Celebration when it first opened (actually I wanted to enter the lottery to live there:rotfl: ) but sort of forgot about it.

How about a day over at FW? I think you can rent boats, like canoes and rowboats, also rent bikes. Sit in the rocking chairs at Crockett's Tavern, eat at Trail's End. I'm taking my first non-park trip in September, and this was one thing suggested to me.

Simbas mom beat me too it. I was going to suggest Fort Wilderness. They have a nice buffet B , L and Dinner. Also Hoop de Doo Revies is very popular.

I like to go into the barn there and look at the Clidesdale horses (SP?). There is also a walking trail to Wilderness Lodge resort from Fort Wilderness.

You could drive to the space center if you have a car.

How about drink your way around Boardwalk Beach club and the Swan area.

Also you could go to Disney World of sports.

How about Disney Quest.

The last two places you can use your extras on park hopper tickets if you bought them on your last trip and did not use them all.

Have fun

Tigger

As far as that walking trail is concerned, I just got great directions to it over on the resort board. Sounds like a great thing to do!

Are there any umbrellas/shaded spots at the pools richardsa98?

There are tables with umbrellas in the area right behind the lounge chairs. If you get there early enough, like we do, we grab a table and eat breakfast and use the lounge chairs right next to the table!!! Have Fun!:woohoo:

We will be at BCV in October for 6 days and will only spend 2 days in the parks. Here is our schedule:

Day 1 - Check in after DCL cruise then Typhoon Lagoon (Dinner at Beaches and Cream)
Day 2 - Park Hopping (AK an MGM followed by dinner at WS Food and Wine)
Day 3 - Disney Quest, Shopping at DD, and tour AKV at SS (Dinner at Raglan Road w/ PI)
Day 4 - EPCOT all Day (Dinner at Bistro de Paris)
Day 5 - Relax around the pool and parasailing with Sammy Duvall @ the Contemporary and minature golf @ Fantasia (Dinner: Open)
Day 6 - Backstage Magic Tour (no pass needed) tour from 8:30 until 3:30 (Dinner at bluezoo)

This might give you an idea.

You can rent bikes as well. We rented bikes at OKW, rode around there, took the path to SSR, rode around there, took the path to DTD, locked our bikes at the bike stand, went pin trading, shopped,ate lunch and then biked back to OKW. It took about 3 hours but I didn't feel guilty about dessert that night. You can also catch to boat at DTD to go to Port Orleans,book a horse-drawn carriage ride( approx. 45 mins) and then eat at BoatWrights. There is aslo horseback riding at Fort Wilderness. If you golf, you can do a 9 hole course at Oak Trails. It is for beginners/ Experienced players too. Not that expensive. Just relaxing at the spa is great too. Men/women accom. are separate.You can work out at the gym, then go to the spa section. There is a sauna, whirlpool, steamroom, and showers down there. Chairs to sit and relax also.

And silly DH was worried that we wouldn't have enough to do :lmao:

Thanks again for all of the great ideas! DH doesn't think that I can last four days without stepping foot in one of the parks ... silly man:laughing:

Looks like there are many, many options to enjoy our days and evenings together.

We do this all the time. I dont' think can add much to the list, mostly everything we do has been covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter