Tips for this week for newbie?

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
We have free tix and will be coming to the parks for one full day/night this Friday or Saturday. We 100% understand the crowd levels. Totally. We are satisfied if the kids get to ride velocicoaster and hulk only.

Looking for some glimmer of hope that we can enjoy simply being in the parks. We love taking in scenery, people watching and getting some snacks and drinks.

Advice or tips? Thanks!

We have free tix and will be coming to the parks for one full day/night this Friday or Saturday. We 100% understand the crowd levels. Totally. We are satisfied if the kids get to ride velocicoaster and hulk only.

Looking for some glimmer of hope that we can enjoy simply being in the parks. We love taking in scenery, people watching and getting some snacks and drinks.

Advice or tips? Thanks!
Honestly I could spend hours exploring the Harry Potter lands. The details are absolutely incredible even if you just look in each store window. Go in every store and LOOK UP, so much to see. In Studios don't miss the hidden back alleys, and all the effects in there.

If you can I'd do Hagrids over Hulk!!

You will have an amazing time and memory no mattrr the crowd levels!

Make sure you have the app downloaded. Watch some YouTube videos now so you are somewhat familiar with the layout of the parks and where your “cannot miss” attractions are located.

If you can make a plan when it comes to food and stick to quick service places. Again watch some videos and check out the app so you know where you’d be ok with eating in each park. Try to eat at off times (11:15 am, 2:30 pm etc).

Take a collapsible water cup if you have one. If not an everyday plastic water bottle will work fine. -there are Coke Freestyle machines that have a water button for easy access to free water throughout the park.

If your kids are old enough, use single rider lines, ESPECIALLY for the Hulk coaster. That particular single rider lines moves faster than any other coasters -at least for us.

Yes, if possible, arrive as early as possible, and use the single rider lines.

As far as just enjoying the parks, here are some non-attraction activities.

1. Photo opps in Toon Lagoon.
- There are so many great Easter eggs and fun details to take in in this area that most people just walk right past.
- Take time to explore the outsides of the buildings in this area. Lots of fun places to pose for pictures.
- Check out the board walk area with all the campy jokes and silly puns.

2. Take a Look at the Playground Areas
- If I Ran the Zoo in Dr Seuss Area - This is a fun area to walk through even if you don't have little kids. There are lots of fun details and hands-on-exhibits to take in here.
- Go up to the back side of Me Ship the Olive in Toon Lagoon, and there are free water guns you can fire on riders as they float past on the raft ride (assuming the raft ride is running and not on refurb right now, not sure).
- Camp Jurassic - Go to the back of the area and take a walk through the caves. Worth at least a quick look.

3. Find your family crest at the little store in the Lost Continent.

4. People watch at the Fountain in the Lost Continent.

- This is such a fun entertaining activity, but don't get too close unless you want to get wet. It's not always on, so sometimes you have to check back a few times before you catch him interacting with people. You can talk to him and ask him questions.

5. Google some Easter Eggs before you go and look for them around the park.
- The love birds at port of entry in Island of Adventure.
- The Mythos troll.
- References to old movies and attractions like Jaws.
- The phone booths.
- Listen at doors, try handles, look in windows, look up at ceilings, etc.
- The Berlin Wall behind Hard Rock.
- Really look around the Seuss area. Find Horton's eggs. See what happens when you throw a coin in the fish's mouth in the pond. Look around inside the circus tent. Take a stroll through the Truffula trees and listen at the yellow "pipes". Lot's of great opportunities in this land to really just stroll around and take in little details.
- There are tons and tons more than the above. Have fun exploring.

6. Check out the different bakeries
- most of have fun themed cookies, cupcakes, and other desserts that are worth a look
- have a treat

7. Have a fun themed meal
- quick service at one of the HP restaurants
- nice sit down at Mythos
- character theming at Toothsome, going just for an elaborate desert is always fun

8. Really explore all that the HP areas have to offer, not just the rides
- Exchange your muggle money for wizarding
- find moaning Myrtle
- find the talking mirror
- perform spells / find the secret spell spots
- explore Knockturn Alley
- send mail by owl post
- watch the wand show
- look up at ceilings when in buildings, great details all around
- listen at doors, look in windows
- great photo opp in front of window down back alley off side of Three Broomsticks
- find Kreature
- call the ministry
- watch the stage shows and Castle projection show (if running)

9. Meet and greets with characters

10. Watch the parade in Universal Studios

11. Check out a baby dinosaur hatching at the Discovery Center

12. Watch a Pilot at the NBC Media Center and get paid for it

13. Watch the 3 different stage shows at Universal Studios

14. Watch all the different street performers at Universal Studios

Yes, if possible, arrive as early as possible, and use the single rider lines.

As far as just enjoying the parks, here are some non-attraction activities.

1. Photo opps in Toon Lagoon.
- There are so many great Easter eggs and fun details to take in in this area that most people just walk right past.
- Take time to explore the outsides of the buildings in this area. Lots of fun places to pose for pictures.
- Check out the board walk area with all the campy jokes and silly puns.

2. Take a Look at the Playground Areas
- If I Ran the Zoo in Dr Seuss Area - This is a fun area to walk through even if you don't have little kids. There are lots of fun details and hands-on-exhibits to take in here.
- Go up to the back side of Me Ship the Olive in Toon Lagoon, and there are free water guns you can fire on riders as they float past on the raft ride (assuming the raft ride is running and not on refurb right now, not sure).
- Camp Jurassic - Go to the back of the area and take a walk through the caves. Worth at least a quick look.

3. Find your family crest at the little store in the Lost Continent.

4. People watch at the Fountain in the Lost Continent.

- This is such a fun entertaining activity, but don't get too close unless you want to get wet. It's not always on, so sometimes you have to check back a few times before you catch him interacting with people. You can talk to him and ask him questions.

5. Google some Easter Eggs before you go and look for them around the park.
- The love birds at port of entry in Island of Adventure.
- The Mythos troll.
- References to old movies and attractions like Jaws.
- The phone booths.
- Listen at doors, try handles, look in windows, look up at ceilings, etc.
- The Berlin Wall behind Hard Rock.
- Really look around the Seuss area. Find Horton's eggs. See what happens when you throw a coin in the fish's mouth in the pond. Look around inside the circus tent. Take a stroll through the Truffula trees and listen at the yellow "pipes". Lot's of great opportunities in this land to really just stroll around and take in little details.
- There are tons and tons more than the above. Have fun exploring.

6. Check out the different bakeries
- most of have fun themed cookies, cupcakes, and other desserts that are worth a look
- have a treat

7. Have a fun themed meal
- quick service at one of the HP restaurants
- nice sit down at Mythos
- character theming at Toothsome, going just for an elaborate desert is always fun

8. Really explore all that the HP areas have to offer, not just the rides
- Exchange your muggle money for wizarding
- find moaning Myrtle
- find the talking mirror
- perform spells / find the secret spell spots
- explore Knockturn Alley
- send mail by owl post
- watch the wand show
- look up at ceilings when in buildings, great details all around
- listen at doors, look in windows
- great photo opp in front of window down back alley off side of Three Broomsticks
- find Kreature
- call the ministry
- watch the stage shows and Castle projection show (if running)

9. Meet and greets with characters

10. Watch the parade in Universal Studios

11. Check out a baby dinosaur hatching at the Discovery Center

12. Watch a Pilot at the NBC Media Center and get paid for it

13. Watch the 3 different stage shows at Universal Studios

14. Watch all the different street performers at Universal Studios
This is all so perfect for us!

Thank you all - we had the BEST one day in the parks. My 10 year old daughter was the brave one to wake up early with me and get there for the 8:00 am opening (we didn't stay onsite) (arrived at 7:40, scanned right in and lined up to wait for the open). We stayed at Hyatt Place across from Universal and we all actually enjoyed that walk. We did it the day before as well to hang at City Walk.

I had a set plan and we did have an AAP for my son (which is actually a bit tough to use (I had applied for the new IBCCES card and picked up the AAP the day before so was ready) and I was a bit disappointed by the system). We started at Islands to get a return time for Velocicoaster (it was only a 25 minutes wait so I had to actually wait there for the time to jump up and then they gave me a return time). Then we headed straight to explore all things Hogsmeade - how nice and quiet early in the morning! We boarded Hogwarts Express and explored all of Diagon Alley with no one around us. Got our Butterbeer and meat pasties and looked through all the windows. Studios was SO quiet as well and we took a ton of pictures and rode ET when it opened at 9, then met 6 characters! I'm in love with our pics. DH and son wanted to "sleep in" and met us around 10 and we hopped right on the new minions blaster ride. The crowds and wait times were creeping up by then, but we got in Mummy after that, Men in Black, then hopped back on Hogwarts to get back to Islands. Kids rode Velocicoaster with the AAP (still had to wait an hour in the Express Line - that's way too long for my son so the day started to break down a bit). He also had to hold on to his pass so I couldn't get a return time for anything else while waiting. We got a return time for Spider Man after that which was 75 minutes away so we walked, ate, shopped. They rode Spiderman, but it broke down right at the end. Then I walked the AAP all the way to Hagrids for a return time which was 2 hours away so we went to City Walk at this point. Sat outside for a drink while kids shopped. Back for Hagrids and the wait wasn't nearly as long (guess b/c of no Express Line) and then we were done! Son wanted to get a return time for Rip Ride Rocket but that was at 130 min and we all knew the best decision was to leave the parks. DH needed to be done - we went off "campus" to Fogo de Chao and had a fun last night of the trip meal.

DH didn't enjoy - but that's him and anything related to Orlando - I have pushed him too much over the years, ha. The kids and I had a lot of fun but the wait times/crowds are not a good match for my son so we will have to do Express Pass/stay at a premier hotel if/when we return.

But - great memories, great pics, and that quiet time with my daughter is something I will cherish!

Glad you had a great time.

I agree about HP. Exploring the HP areas early morning when you have them practically to yourself is always a favorite activity of ours. We try to save one Early Entry each trip just to play with wands and wander around Diagon Alley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter