Tiw vs. ddp

Pbuttadad

Mouseketeer
Ok... I have read multiple post on this subject and still can't decide to get the TiW card or ddp!!! We have a trip coming up this nov/dec with 8 adults and 4 kids(2 being under 3). Some of them want ddp, others never been to Disney and don't know the difference.
We are newbie DVCers and will be staying 8 nights and our family of 4 will be returning in 2015 for 2 more trips within the 13 month period. My dilemma is the particular restaurants they really want to go to.
LeCellier Yak & yeti
Fultons 1900 park fare
Be our guest Akershus
Yachtsman Sanaa
Chef mickeys Mama melrose
Tusker house
We may not do all due to the amount of TS meals it requires, but you get the drift. Character meals and some pricier ones. Plus will be taking my DW to V&A on a date night.
Please help with any suggestions/experiences. Thanks!!!

We looked VERY seriously at what we have actually spent on dining on 2 separate Disney vacations (8 days each) compared to the cost of the standard dining plan and we have been about $30/day less expensive without the dining plan - for 2 adults.

We use TiW and don't really do a lot of TS - maybe dinner every other day - but almost always signature when we do (so 2 dinners would be gone in one).

TiW works in V&A, dining plan does not - that alone could be a savings of nearly $100 (our last V&A bill - dinner for two with the wine parings, coffee after dinner and desert was $550!)

If you plan on a lot of TS you may come out ahead on DDP

We just don't like the idea of having to track what we have left, how many snacks, etc. - we've watched people doing it and it looks like a great way to ruin a vacation!

I believe that starting in August Victoria and Albert will no longer be part of the TIW discount.

We are also having this conversation we will have 6 adults and 1 child (age 5) and one "infant" (2 year old).

We are currently leaning towards the TIW card - we are going to decide once we make all our reservations at the 180 day mark -(cost it out) but right now we think that we can make out better of TIW especially since the 20% discount can count towards alcohol - we are not big drinkers but it will be nice to have a glass of wine and know you are getting a small discount.

I would think in your situation you can definitely save money on the TIW since you are going multiple times during the 12 month period.

I believe that starting in August Victoria and Albert will no longer be part of the TIW discount.

Correct - should have qualified my statement - but TiW still good at V&A for most of this year - our ressie is early March.

I think this depends greatly on your plans for adult beverages. You have four kids in your party and if the adults are not drinkers, I think the DDP might be a good option. We have one son so it is usually 3 of us in the parks on our vacations. We will easily spend $60-$75 (sometimes more) dollars on meals per day per person. For us at $58.66 per person, the dining plan makes sense.

If we plan on drinking because we are without our son or meeting friends for the vacation, then TIW makes a better choice.

A few years, we purchased both and used the TIW for the amount above and beyond what the DDP covered. Not sure if this still works.

Have fun

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'd like yo hear if someone has any price models/comparisons?

DxDP worked great for the kids and I in 2009. No alcohol for me and the boys loved sit down meals (17 and 9 years old) with dessert EVERY DAY because they do not get dessert at lunch and dinner at home. I did not compare prices, but based on my journal, it was a fair value, plus I got a gift card from AAA that ended up covering all the tips.

In 2013, it was an adult only trip(3 people) and with the price increase the DxDP was a bit over $2100 for 7 days for 3. We bought a TIW. We ate at Yachtsman, Bluezoo, Jiko's, Narcoossee's, Hoop de Do, Victoria and Alberts, Yak n Yeti, the restaurant with the pyramid in Mexico, Sci Fi, and 50s Prime Time as well as counter service. We sometimes split courses, sometimes ordered apps, wine or cocktails, my husband drank around the world, we ate what we wanted when we wanted. We budgeted $2100. (the cost of the plan) With the cost of the ap and the TIW, we came out about $50 ahead and had a great time.

I'm going again in less than 2 weeks with the youngest son and due to his meds, he eats a big breakfast and dinner, but only grazes during the day. I will bring some of his favorite snacks for that and use my TIW again for dinners. We have Yachtsman, La Cellier, Hoop de Doo, and Rainforest Cafe planned and will just wing the rest. On this trip, maybe a glass of wine with dinner.

My feeling is that it is best to figure out your budget and then eat what you want. Vacation is not for stressing about this.

Ok... I have read multiple post on this subject and still can't decide to get the TiW card or ddp!!! We have a trip coming up this nov/dec with 8 adults and 4 kids(2 being under 3). Some of them want ddp, others never been to Disney and don't know the difference.
We are newbie DVCers and will be staying 8 nights and our family of 4 will be returning in 2015 for 2 more trips within the 13 month period. My dilemma is the particular restaurants they really want to go to.
LeCellier Yak & yeti
Fultons 1900 park fare
Be our guest Akershus
Yachtsman Sanaa
Chef mickeys Mama melrose
Tusker house
We may not do all due to the amount of TS meals it requires, but you get the drift. Character meals and some pricier ones. Plus will be taking my DW to V&A on a date night.
Please help with any suggestions/experiences. Thanks!!!

We used to do DDP but basically figured out we were eating food we didn't want or need and rallying to max it out by trips end. Now we buy the essentials at Publix when we get there and use TIW for quality meals vs food we really didn't want or need. You'll get close to your full ROI with meals at Yachtsman, Le Cellier and Sanna, the rest is money back in your pocket.

We have used both and have come to the conclusion that TIW is a better option. You don't eat what you don't want to and don't have to keep track of credits. We eat at signature restaurants, breakfast in the room and lunch in the room 50% of the time.

I think this depends greatly on your plans for adult beverages. You have four kids in your party and if the adults are not drinkers, I think the DDP might be a good option. We have one son so it is usually 3 of us in the parks on our vacations. We will easily spend $60-$75 (sometimes more) dollars on meals per day per person. For us at $58.66 per person, the dining plan makes sense.

If we plan on drinking because we are without our son or meeting friends for the vacation, then TIW makes a better choice.

A few years, we purchased both and used the TIW for the amount above and beyond what the DDP covered. Not sure if this still works.

Have fun

late to the game, but you can use TIW after DDP
"Disney Dining Plan:
If you are on a Disney Dining Plan, you may still use the Tables in Wonderland discount on any food or beverage items that are purchased at a participating restaurant, above and beyond what the Disney Dining Plan covers. For example, if you are dining on the Disney Dining Plan, and you order a bottle of wine, you will be presented with a check for the bottle of wine, at which time you may use your Tables in Wonderland discount as long as the restaurant participates in Tables in Wonderland."

late to the game, but you can use TIW after DDP "Disney Dining Plan: If you are on a Disney Dining Plan, you may still use the Tables in Wonderland discount on any food or beverage items that are purchased at a participating restaurant, above and beyond what the Disney Dining Plan covers. For example, if you are dining on the Disney Dining Plan, and you order a bottle of wine, you will be presented with a check for the bottle of wine, at which time you may use your Tables in Wonderland discount as long as the restaurant participates in Tables in Wonderland."

You should be able to do this. We have TIW and went in October with my brother's family who was on DDP. They used DDP for their meals, we used TIW for ours and any items (appetizers etc.) that were not covered under their DDP. Should work the same for you. You may want to ask disney before purchasing though. (I would never do a DDP after purchasing a TIW card, but that's just me) hope that helped!

I used the link below to calculate our dining expenses for our trip at the end of the month, 2 adults 1 child. It ended up being the same, OOP, DDP and TIW...

I don't have enough posts yet to post a link, but http in front should work.

seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon#!dining-plan-calculator/cxc0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter