To those who've recently returned......

WDWfan uk

<font color=red>.... but you can call me Shirley :
......... can you tell us how you found security at the airport?
How strict are they about the contents of your hand-luggage i.e. "sharp objects"?
Is it taking longer to clear security at both ends?

Well, in November/December...yes, things were definately slower at both ends.

The biggest impact is actually getting on the plane, not the 'regular' x-ray screening place where you go airside... but at the gate, this is mainly where they are doing the hand search of the luggage. They split us up...one line for the women, the other for men, and it looked like they were searching every third person's hand luggage...of course, due to the nature of the beast, the mens queue moved a LOT quicker than the ladies due to less/smaller bags :rolleyes:

Now I don't disagree with the fact that these searches need to be made, but the way they did it was annoying...they don't start boarding the plane until about the same time as they always used too, which means it's either a mad rush getting seated before take-off, or the plane just gets delayed because everyone's not through... I'm hoping now that they've had a little practice that this will have been improved on now!

As for the other end...the most noticable security feature is you have to go through another x-ray scanner before you get out. Yes, another line I'm afraid...but was a quick moving one atleast, so not much trouble really.

Oh, and as for sharp objects...yes, strict...tweesers, nail clippers, anything remotely like that, if the 1 in 3 search finds them, that's where they'll be confiscated. Anything remotely ambigous, I'd put it in the case.

Penny :)

Oh, and coming back home, at MCO there is a line now, as only people who have tickets to fly can go to the gates, so they check those before you can get to the shuttle that takes you to the terminal...but again...it moved pretty quick.

Penny :)

At Heathrow Helen's mother was found to have a small pair of scissors in her hand luggage!

At MCO in Feb , at the gate the staff were doing random searches on people travelling alone, and again at Washington. The searches were hand scanners for metal objects , footware inspections and full hand luggage checks.

Our December trip:

Gatwick on the way out had HUGE queues at security, totally blocking the hall, but it only took us about 10-15 minutes to get through. It was the queues at check-in that were horrendous. As Penny says, there was a further security check just before boarding. There were Virgin staff walking the check-in queue asking questions about electronic equipment, sharp instruments, crackers, etc.

There was a queue at customs at MCO which is something I've never experienced before - usually we just sail through. Some people were being stopped and questioned and others were being allowed to walk on through. We were OK - the customs officer couldn't believe we only had 3 small cases for a family of four! She said her job would be so much easier if everyone was like us, in which case I would have thought we would have been more likely to be searched - less to look through. Oh well.

It seemed to take forever to get through the security checkpoint. The queue didn't seem that big, but it was slow-moving.

Coming home, we were on the late flight (8.40pm), but we'd arrived early to chill out at McCoys. The queues at security for the earlier flight as we walked past were enormous, but by the time we went through there was no-one there. In fact the airport was dead and we've decided that this flight time suits us and we've booked it again this time.

Coming back into Gatwick I don't recall anything being any different from normal.

We went Heathrow to Miami, so slightly different to normal WDW route (early Feb)

Heathrow Out - a breeze, no queues, various searches etc, definitely no sharp objects allowed in hand luggage. Hand luggage was allowed as normal,

Miami - cleared customs quickly

Miami Back - enormous queues, and we'd arrived late (ie 1 hour 30 to take off!!) the staff were laid back, everyone was processed the search queue was huge (lots of flights in same queue) and we got to boarding with 20 mins to take off, barely manged duty free and we were on, loaded and off on time!! Quite amazing, we had no time to waste at all which is great as far as I'm concerned!! However, the searches are thorough, my 12 year old daughter had the body and shoe scan searches, DH had trainers on and wasn't searched!! I think it's good that the searches appeared totally random.

Heathrow - normal scrum no difference

Hi Shirley,
We came back on Monday from the Gatwick to MCO trip with Virgin, and Security was much the same as in Nov.
Passports and security checks done while waiting in the check-in queue at both airports.
Hand luggage weighed on the way out but not on the way back.
Queue no longer than usual at control and scanners before lounge. Random bag and body searches before boarding, a bit of a nuisance but didn't delay us at all.
New passageway from unloading gate to immigration-no change in Immigration.
An extra scanner still in place also which is a nuisance but we thought they were rattling thru better than in Nov.
Still keen on no sharps or aerosols etc. at both ends.
Customs still have the Beagles (they are so gorgeous) checking for fruit and veg etc. We had some bananas in my bag earlier in the day and the dog still picked up the smell!
They have two people asking Questions as you go into Customs, like have you been on a farm recently etc. They let some people thru and some are sent for luggage checks-there doesn't seem to be much logic as we have been searched once and let thru twice.
The Gates on the way back are no longer open to you unless you have a boarding pass and passport. The queue can be very long so if you are on the early flight try to get thru early and on the late flight hang around a bit until the queue goes down if you can.
Customs at Gatwick was the usual"I see no Custom's Officer!" Thank goodness after all the shopping we had done!

Carol:smooth:

Hey Carol,

We may have been on the same plane ???, we arrived back on Monday. We were on the 8.40 PM mco - lgw.

On the way out (10/03/02) @ Gatwick, i did notice there were more x-ray machines open than usual. So this went pretty smooth. Once through this, i were pulled over and had my shoes tested for explosives, with that new machine.

On arrival at Orlando, we were the first off the plane, but we still queued for about 10 mins in the immigration lines. Then we entered another queue and we were asked a few questions regarding being on a farm etc. This queue was around another 5 mins.

We then entered another line (5 mins) just before the shuttle bit. This was another metal detector and they told us everyone had to do this as it was a secure area and some people were on connecting flights, once through this, a kind lady pulled me over AGAIN, and asked me to take my shoes off for an explosives test. Apparantley the machine can pick even the slightest trace of explosive material. If you have fired a shotgun the explosives from the cartridge will be detected by the machine.

Fortunately, our bags came off the carousel first and we were first in the line for Virgin's dedicated Dollar line. So in all we cleared everything in around 30-40 mins!

On the return leg at Orlando, i noticed the security was no different to pre Sep 11th apart from having to flip my belt buckle over and a body search, just after going through the metal detector . Also, Virgin were doing randomn security checks at the gate, just before getting on the plane - Body and bag search.

Hi Paul,
Yes we were on the same plane back. We were on row 27 but you obviously made much better time getting out at MCO than we did. Of course this had nothing to do with me stopping at Starbuck's.
Carol;)

...... thanks a lot :)
Kevin, were the scissors confiscated?
Did you pack tail-combs rather than take them in luggage? What normal handbag items would you suggest putting in the suitcases? At one time I remember the US airlines wouldn't allow pencils/pens.

BTW, my son's backpack was checked for explosives on arrival and departure at MCO in 1999.

....... and yes, those dogs are gorgeous :D

Security checks at Manchester and Sanford are still alive and well. No real problems though, yes, they do create extra lines to stand in - but that's part of the fun (not!)

Our Gaz was amazed to be body searched at manchester on the outbound plane - they even checked under his watch and hat - but his skin head was a tad short!

I offered me body to the pretty lady attendant but she just ignored me advances.

We cleared all the securiey and customs checks really fast since we had disabled assistance, we went thro the wheel chair lines - ie. no lines. The only problem was in washington, cos Baz had his Cigar cutter in his pocket - DOPE!

We were taken to one side by a national guardsman with a really BIG gun!!! and Baz was almost stripped whilst they investigated all but the most intimate places - poor thing - LOL. Mind you these guys with guns really upset Zachy and he was almost in tears - the way they casually waved us around by pointing the guns at us.

We didn't get asked any questions at US customs- just checked the passports and waved us thro.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter