Tokyo subway pass or Suica card?

princesscinderella

DIS Veteran
I’m trying to finalize all my plans for our Japan trip next month. On Klook I came across a Tokyo subway card that is unlimited for 24, 48 or 72 hours and seems easier than getting a Suica card and having to load money on it. We already have JR rail passes too so do we need a Suica card too if we buy the subway passes instead? I also have a wise card which we will be using for other purchases and ATMs while in Japan. Thanks 😊

The rail system is Tokyo is a bit complicated-there are multiple companies operating lines. Most are either Tokyo Metro/Toei (and covered by the 24/48/72 hour pass) or JR (covered by JR pass). There are a few spots that operated by other private companies and would need a separate ticket or SUICA/PASMO. SUICA or PASMO work on any line.

I'm not sure what Klook is charging for the 24/48/72 pass, but you can buy they VERY cheaply at the tourism offices in Tokyo-it's only 1500 yen (less than $10 US) for the 72 hour pass.

I'm not sure if it's changed and SUICA does this now too, but with PASMO you can get the 500 yen deposit and any remaining balance refunded at the airport when you leave. We did a combo of the tourist pass and PASMO, since we wouldn't be "out" any money.

You most likely would be able to get by with just the 24/48/72 pass + JR pass, but it's worth taking a look at any activities and see if they are located off a private line, in which case a PASMO or SUICA would be helpful.

The rail system is Tokyo is a bit complicated-there are multiple companies operating lines. Most are either Tokyo Metro/Toei (and covered by the 24/48/72 hour pass) or JR (covered by JR pass). There are a few spots that operated by other private companies and would need a separate ticket or SUICA/PASMO. SUICA or PASMO work on any line.

I'm not sure what Klook is charging for the 24/48/72 pass, but you can buy they VERY cheaply at the tourism offices in Tokyo-it's only 1500 yen (less than $10 US) for the 72 hour pass.

I'm not sure if it's changed and SUICA does this now too, but with PASMO you can get the 500 yen deposit and any remaining balance refunded at the airport when you leave. We did a combo of the tourist pass and PASMO, since we wouldn't be "out" any money.

You most likely would be able to get by with just the 24/48/72 pass + JR pass, but it's worth taking a look at any activities and see if they are located off a private line, in which case a PASMO or SUICA would be helpful.
Thanks so much, you explained it very well. It’s $10 on Klook for the 72 hours so it’s the same price however I’m getting a 24% back capital one shopping offer on Klook purchases right now so that would make it cheaper if it’s eligible. Good to know that it’s refundable at the airport before we leave. I like the idea of the unlimited pass if we get lost we aren’t paying per ride or having to figure out tickets each way. We had a similar train pass with the go-Copenhagen card when we travelled there last summer and it was so easy we just hopped on any train we wanted.

There’s the Suica app if you have an iPhone. It basically becomes Apple pay and can be tied to a credit card instead of having to load money.

There’s the Suica app if you have an iPhone. It basically becomes Apple pay and can be tied to a credit card instead of having to load money.
I will have to look into getting the app. I think I read that everyone would need their own Suica card which could be interesting if they are all drawing from the same credit card with how hit or miss they are in Japan as we are a family of 5. So would each of us need the app separately on our phones? My kids are all old enough to handle this as they are teens if this is the case.

The reviews for the suica app are pretty terrible. I think we’re all planning to get our own cards

You can get Pasmo Passport cards at Haneda. They are 1500 yen and work like a tap card when you use transit (or in convenience stores, etc). There is no deposit (it’s a tourist card), but you can’t get money back (but could spend it at 7-11, etc.) Reloads can be done in convenience stores or at train stations with cash.

This met all our transit needs for Tokyo and Kyoto (except Shinkansen). We did JR, subway and busses.

That said if you are ONLY using subway/have JR passes, the 72 hour pass may be better for you. We did not have JR passes and used a mix of JR and subway

I will have to look into getting the app. I think I read that everyone would need their own Suica card which could be interesting if they are all drawing from the same credit card with how hit or miss they are in Japan as we are a family of 5. So would each of us need the app separately on our phones? My kids are all old enough to handle this as they are teens if this is the case.

Everyone would need the app. You won't be able to get a regular Suica card, just the Welcome Suica for visitors, which only lasts for about a month and doesn't refund what is not used.

The reviews for the suica app are pretty terrible. I think we’re all planning to get our own cards

Really. I hadn't heard that. Locals can't get the physical card anymore. Many locals use the app if they didn't already have a card. Visitors can get the Welcome Suica card though.

Everyone would need the app. You won't be able to get a regular Suica card, just the Welcome Suica for visitors, which only lasts for about a month and doesn't refund what is not used.

Really. I hadn't heard that. Locals can't get the physical card anymore. Many locals use the app if they didn't already have a card. Visitors can get the Welcome Suica card though.
Maybe the Japanese version of the app works better? There are a lot of reviews saying it doesn’t work in English. I’m looking on the App store for iPhone

To see if a subway pass makes sense, you'd need to map out all the routes you're taking and see if these are Tokyo Metro/Toei lines. It's possible you may only travel via JR around Tokyo and Tokyo Disney so you wouldn't need this or you'd go someplace like where you'd take a train operated by a different company.

Most likely, it'll be simplest to get an IC card for each person. Pasmo Passport or Welcome Suica should be available at the airport. If you have iPhones, you can try mobile Suica but some people have issues with foreign credit cards.

People also forget that you can always buy tickets. If you're only taking a few trips that aren't on JR, you can do this if you really don't want to buy an IC card.

Maybe the Japanese version of the app works better? There are a lot of reviews saying it doesn’t work in English. I’m looking on the App store for iPhone

The issue is that foreigners are trying to top up using a foreign credit card. The types of foreign credit cards that are accepted by the app change with each update which is frustrating for foreigners. So it'll accept most foreign Visas for a few months then stop accepting them. Or it allowed you to pay using Apple Pay for a while and then that got removed, etc.

Just a warning, foreign android phones can't use digital IC, you have to have proprietary hardware that is only sold with Japanese phones called "お財布携帯". If you have an iphone, you should have no problems with the app, but there's no guarantee it will work with a foreign credit card. Some people put the physical suica card in the back of their phone case so you can still easily scan it, as long as your phone case is thin enough it should work. I'm not sure if you can get a suica, but there;s also different kinds of IC cards. I know manaca is one of them for example and I had no issues with it in Tokyo or Osaka.

I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed with planning this trip as there's such a learning curve to planning everything, especially dealing with such a language difference and the credit cards being declined at random. Thanks so much for everyone's advice and relaying your experiences.

You actually don't need an app to add Suica to your iPhone, it's added directly from your Apple Wallet (so maybe that's why the "app" has poor reviews, not sure what the app is for). This is generally the easiest thing if everyone has their own iPhone since no fumbling with cards and loads easily with Apple Pay to avoid payment issues. I think it even works if your phone is out of battery. You can load money into it using Apple Pay, I think it used to be limited to Amex/Mastercard but may now be allowing Visa depending on your iOS version. I think you can also load money at the stations.

All you have to do is open your Apple Wallet, hit the plus sign to add a Transit Card, and type in Suica. Sooooo easy! In fact, I just set mine up now in about 60 seconds. Selected a card from my Apple Pay and added 1000JPY. No payment issues at all! I think the limit is around 20,000JPY ($128 USD). Many places take Suica for payment like convenience stores!

Edit: You can also add your existing physical Suica card to your apple wallet from what I understand, but then the physical card will no longer work. But it would be handy for someone that already had a card with a balance and preferred using the wallet version.

Last edited:
You actually don't need an app to add Suica to your iPhone, it's added directly from your Apple Wallet (so maybe that's why the "app" has poor reviews, not sure what the app is for). This is generally the easiest thing if everyone has their own iPhone since no fumbling with cards and loads easily with Apple Pay to avoid payment issues. I think it even works if your phone is out of battery. You can load money into it using Apple Pay, I think it used to be limited to Amex/Mastercard but may now be allowing Visa depending on your iOS version. I think you can also load money at the stations.

All you have to do is open your Apple Wallet, hit the plus sign to add a Transit Card, and type in Suica. Sooooo easy! In fact, I just set mine up now in about 60 seconds. Selected a card from my Apple Pay and added 1000JPY. No payment issues at all! I think the limit is around 20,000JPY ($128 USD). Many places take Suica for payment like convenience stores!

Edit: You can also add your existing physical Suica card to your apple wallet from what I understand, but then the physical card will no longer work. But it would be handy for someone that already had a card with a balance and preferred using the wallet version.
That's right. That's what we were planning on doing, not the actual app. Thanks for the reminder. My notes said app.

EDIT: Also, Welcome Suica can't be added to Apple Wallet/Pay. Probably the same for Pasmo Passport.

A Suica generated from Apple Wallet doesn't have all the features of a proper mobile Suica generated through the app. For example, I'm pretty sure a Suica generated from Apple Wallet cannot be linked to shinkansen tickets and can cause issues if trying to add shinkansen tickets or additional transportation cards to an Apple Wallet.

In the past, some people had issues generating a Suica through the Apple Wallet but could generate one through the app. But, for most foreign visitors, generating a Suica from Apple Wallet is simpler and likely sufficient.

Last edited:
A Suica generated from Apple Wallet doesn't have all the features of a proper mobile Suica generated through the app. For example, I'm pretty sure n Suica generated from Apple Wallet cannot be linked to shinkansen tickets and can cause issues if trying to add shinkansen tickets or additional transportation cards to an Apple Wallet.

In the past, some people had issues generating a Suica through the Apple Wallet but could generate one through the app. But, for most foreign visitors, generating a Suica from Apple Wallet is simpler and likely sufficient.
Oh boy, lol. I am planning on just buying a paper ticket at the station for the shinkansen since I will be taking it after I land in HND, so I don't know what time it will be and thus don't plan to book in advance. I know SmartEX gives people credit card troubles when trying to book online so I wanted to avoid that. I've read the horror stories of people not scanning in the right order and not properly ending their trips and running into issues, we'll see if I can avoid that or not :laughing:

Meanwhile there's me and my sister who have Samsung phones and cannot use the app 🙃

We planned on picking up whichever card is available at Haneda. I've heard the Suica cards can sell out later in the evening but we'll be landing at 3:30 pm so I think we'll be okay.

My mom and I used digital Suica through Apple Wallet on our iPhones in October and it was really easy to set up and add on the go. We set it up and added an initial amount of money while we were still at home (I used a Mastercard and she used an Amex, which were in our Apple Wallets). I kept a~$20 balance and added on the go throughout the trip. My mom didn't have cell/data on her phone, so we just had to make sure to keep an eye on her balance and add more money when she was on wifi. As long as the balance is high enough, you don't need cell service or wifi to use digital Suica at the turnstiles. Everyone needs their own card (or phone with digital Suica).

We used the digital Suica on subways in Tokyo and Kyoto, and also the buses in Kyoto. You can also use it at many stores (I used it at 7-11, Lawsons, and Disney) and vending machines if you want to get your balance to zero at the end of your trip.

For the Shinkansen, you can buy tickets on the web site and link it to your digital Suica, but you need your Suica number (for this, I had to download the "Suica finance" app to find my number, since you can't see it through Apple Wallet). Once we linked our Suica numbers when we bought the Shinkanen tickets, we just scanned our phones at the turnstile (a phsyical ticket popped out with our seat assignment). Alternatively, you can just pick up or buy your ticket at the Shinkansen ticket window at the station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter