Tony's review

If you are referring to the 'end pieces' there on the calamari, it is not all that uncommon. From my somewhat limited experience, when I order squid from a chain place or a lower end place (where I picture they order all of their food from Sysco), you get just rings, but when you order it from a better restaurant, and this applies not only to calamari, but also when served in paella in a couple of Cuban restos I've visited, they include the whole squid minus the head and looks like what is pictured.

I agree that it is a turnoff in appearance, but the taste is fine and it is authentic as far as I can tell.

Yes, we were told that some people like those better. We had to pass.

Kevin,

I have to agree with your review at least on the food. The following is from my trip report over Thanksgiving with my daughter.

After getting fast passes for Big Thunder we headed back to Tony’s to check in. The place was packed. I did notice some empty tables outside and since it was our goal to watch the parade I told the hostess we were willing to wait to get a table. She said it should not be a problem and after a minute or two wait we were directed to a table that was in a perfect spot.

There was a hostess outside that was screening people trying to get into the restaurant and turning away anyone without reservations. We chatted a bit about how uninformed some people were thinking they could walk up for dinner on a very busy weekend.

Shortly after placing our order, Spectromagic started. It was a unique vantage point and we both enjoyed the view.

I wish I could say the same for the dinner. DD had the cheese flatbread and I opted for the baked ziti. The flatbread was pretty good but the ziti was AWLFUL. Yes, since I am Italian and cook a lot, I am somewhat hard to please when it comes to Italian cooking but this was bad. More like macaroni and cheese with tasteless tomato sauce instead of cheese. It is a shame that they have this great location and waste it by not caring about the food. Would I go again? Probably, because of the experience but I will come with very low expectations of the food.

The service was fine. We were seated right after we got there (no one made us move from place to place) and the table was great. It would have been a (pleasantly) memorable experience if the food was at least decent. I mean come on, rustic Italian is not that hard to make.

Enjoy the podcast and the restaurant reviews.

CJ

Our Family had the Best TS Meal of our Whole Trip but
we did not order Spagitti because I can make that at home.
We tryed to get another ADR for the end of our week but
it was all booked up.
I had even considered canceling my ADR for Tony's after
all the Bad Reviews--so glad we keep it because we wouldn't
have had a good meal all week.
Looking forward to eating again at Tony's on our upcoming trip!
Thanks for the Positive Review of Tony's.

DebºoºS;23611351 said:
:rotfl2: Dittos. Once was enough for me.

Brown Derby & Concourse Steakhouse are also on my never make that mistake again list.
I've got bad news for you about the Concourse Steakhouse....

The only good thing about Tony's from our last trip was seeing Uma Thurman to the side of it sneaking a smoke.

I just heard Kevin's review this morning. What a disaster. :rotfl:

We've never had a desire to eat lunch or dinner at Tony's. You can get average Italian food anywhere. (I know, Kevin, this wasn't even average.)

We did have breakfast there once, and it was a delightful experience, with a great server. We would have made it a tradition, but they stopped serving breakfast (except during the Crystal Palace renovations.)

My DB and his family love Tony's. They've only been to the World in the summer, so the air conditioning may have a lot to do with that.

Kathy

I don't always agree with Kevin on his reviews as I think some of this is personal taste, but hit hit the nail on the head regarding Tonys.

My wife and I went a few months ago and the food was bland and barely fit for consumption at best.

No I did not complain loudly but told our waitress we did not care for any of it. This was the first meal of an adult only trip and looking back I should have not agreeded to pay for this.

Our waitress for the record was very efficient and quick, but the product they were serving is a disgrace.

I totally agree with Kevins review on the food. The only good experiance I've ever had there is the location. We have gotten a seat on the patio both times we ate there. The hustle and bustle of main street is amazing. Too bad such a crappy place to is in such a prime location.

I just listened to the review, and I will agree with the theme. They could musicians playing and just make it more cozy. While we enjoyed the food, the atmosphere left something to be desired. We sat in the area that is not outside, but not really inside either. It would be wonderful to sit outside. We sat in the big white room. It was just DH and myself, and it definitely waasn't a romantic atmosphere like is portrayed in the movie.

And, DH also had the calamari. He has always enjoyed calamari, but after eating at Tony's, I don't know if he'll evr be able to eat it again. He's always had the rings. Along with the rings at Tonys were the whole little baby squid like in this picture. It was disgusting.
http://www.cornichon.org/archives/FF%20crispy%20calamari.jpg

Years ago they used to always have Pluto hanging around. Guess he was one of Tramp's buddies.

BTW, those are the squid's tentacles in your pic, and my absolute favorite part. I'm always disappointed when we only get the rings.

Being that I'm Italian, I've cleaned and cooked many a squid. Trust me, that's far from the worst part of these slimy guys. :eek:

I just listened to the review, too. I 100% agree with Kevin on this one. I've always thought that this could be one of the fantastic restaurants on property, especially at Magic Kingdom. It'd be wonderful to have a homey place in the park to use at a rescue from the heat, crowds, etc.

The issue with "standing" was absolutely hysterical. I tend to have bad experiences with waiters and waitresses at restaurants here in Jersey, just by luck of the draw. Our friends joke about it being an ongoing case of bad luck. Because we eat out a lot, you can imagine how many similar experiences I have had.

My parents ate at Tony's last year and also found it to be horrible. We all thought that the restaurant themeing would be fun, but it was definitely a disappointment. I have yet to find good Italian at Disney and hope they change this one particular venue in the near future.

Originally Posted by Madi100
And, DH also had the calamari. He has always enjoyed calamari, but after eating at Tony's, I don't know if he'll evr be able to eat it again. He's always had the rings. Along with the rings at Tonys were the whole little baby squid like in this picture. It was disgusting.
http://www.cornichon.org/archives/FF...20calamari.jpg

You'll be happy to know that when Kevin and I went to do the review there were no tentacles in the calamari. I enjoy them but they skeeve Kevin out so he wouldn't have even tried them if they had the legs on the plate. As Kevin said - the calamari were actually one of the few highlights of this meal.

As far as the arguing/loud host/hostesses - since alot of people are saying they experienced the same thing I am wondering if this is supposed to be theming that just went 'bad'. You know - the typical loud Italian family (of which I am one so please don't write to me about 'hate speech').

Perhaps they think this would be cute or funny and they just couldn't pull it off.

John

As far as the arguing/loud host/hostesses - since alot of people are saying they experienced the same thing I am wondering if this is supposed to be theming that just went 'bad'. You know - the typical loud Italian family (of which I am one so please don't write to me about 'hate speech').

Perhaps they think this would be cute or funny and they just couldn't pull it off. John

If they planned for this to be a family atmosphere like they have at the Prime Time, they missed. It works at the Prime Time, it's believable (to a degree) and quite enjoyable but what y'all have described at Tony's is just bad management! I hope that since the review is out maybe someone higher up will take a look and see for themselves and fix things!

My wife and I went a few months ago and the food was bland and barely fit for consumption at best.

No I did not complain loudly but told our waitress we did not care for any of it. This was the first meal of an adult only trip and looking back I should have not agreeded to pay for this.

Our waitress for the record was very efficient and quick, but the product they were serving is a disgrace.

You bring up a good point. I should have complained about the food but did not (even to the waitress). If we don't speak up, things will stay the same by default. It could be a great place to dine because of the location if they only put in the effort. Me bad for not speaking up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter