Top 5 best and worst attractions

As for Space Mountain, my feelings about it are basically the same as Jeff's about Test Track. It's okay. Nice. Not bad. But (and I know this is heresy to some) for me its just basically a wild mouse in the dark with decent music.
...hey, if they'd built Test Track 30 years ago in Magic Kingdom instead of FutureWorld, a great many of my disappointments would evaporate. Conversely, if Space Mountain as we know it was currently being installed instead of Mission:Space, believe me, I'd wail about it.

Context, son. Ya keep, I say, ya keep nee-glecting the context.

I still believe your insistence to avoid the context of the decade in which rides were built (and the orders of magnitude of difference in Disney's available capital across those decades) weakens your "the new is as good as the old" argument to the point of irrelevancy.

Jeff

PS: this is where you let your "newbie" issue unfocus your argument. If you first saw Space Mountain in comparison to roller coasters of the early 1970's you'd see some serious Magic. If you first see it in comparison to late 1990's coasters, my response to your relative disappointment in that situation is "well, duh."

For the definitive answer...

5 best.

1. ToT
2. HM
3. Test Track
4. ToD
5. Dinosaur

5 worst.
1. JIYI
2. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular
3. American Adventure
4. Pochohantas
5. CoP

So there!
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

There is a line in ‘Star Tours’ that neatly summarizes what the best attractions do. Right before you start to fly over the Death Star, the pilot says “I’ve always wanted to do this!” Disney is at its best when it puts you into the “middle of the action”, when it puts you in a childhood adventure that you’ve always wanted to have. Disney is best when it takes the “wish fulfillment” aspect of movies and turns it into a “real life” experience.

All in WDW:

Best:
1. Haunted Mansion
2. RocknRoller Coaster
3. Peter Pan's Flight
4. Spaceship Earth
5. Norway

Honorable mention to the Maharajah Jungle Trek (loved it!) and Buzz simply because it's a blast! Not to mention the Marketplace for me. :D

Worst:
1. Tomorrowland Speedway
2. Mad Tea Party
3. JIYI (what were they thinking?)
4. The Living Seas (this COULD be great)
5. Dinorama

I must give a thumbs up to El Rio Del Tiempo too for two reasons. It's a great ride for kids in a park that's lacking and it's also a wonderful place to cool off on a hot day. It's a friendly little ride and not annoying at all to me unlike my bottom 5.

As for Test Track, it was interesting and different but not fun to me like my top list or even its predecessor. But my 9 year old declares it his favorite in all of WDW so there's another fan.

Couldn't resist...

Mine...

BEST
1-TOT
2-Peter Pan's Flight
3-Haunted Mansion
4-Safari
5-Pirates

WORST
1-Swiss Family Treehouse
2-JIYI
3-Tommorrowland Speedway
4-Who Want's To Be A $$$$ (not interested at all)
5-Mike Fink Keelboats/Tom Sawyer Island

Best:
1. Spaceship Earth
2. Haunted Mansion
3. Splash Mountain
4. Kilimanjaro Safaris
5. Tower of Terror

Worst:
1. Body Wars (Pains me to say that because I think
the idea is cool, but UPDATE the darn thing!)
2. Millionaire (more hype than fun)
3. Space Mountain (the lights are off for a reason)
4. Magic Carpets of Aladdin (Disney missed their chance
here)
5. Backlot Tour

Well, the award for first use of the Foghorn Leghorn voice on the Rumors board goes to Jewell.

Scoop, come on dude, badmouthing Space Mountain? 1) You are a big Disney fan. 2) You are a guy. It's kinda like yellow and blue make green.

Perhaps context rules in this case, but I find it still tells a great story. It's not just a roller coaster in the dark. It's space travel. The use of a rocket to get from one place in the galaxy to another. You've even got a control tower. The flight information, the countdown, the reentry, it all works. And, yes, it was an utterly amazing experience for an 11 year old kid back in the mid 1970's. A rite of passage amongst my buddies in Northern Virginia at the time. A time we were going to see Star Wars every weekend. Indeed, context is important. But, dude, come on. It's Space Mountain for crying out loud.

Sometimes your posts come off much sharper than surely intended.
...yeah, it's a gift.
My point is not to pick attractions out of the decades and compare but to compare with what was from that decade.
I'm down with that, and don't really disagree with anything you just said. In the post I was responding to, you spoke of Space Mountain mostly in relation to Test Track and Primeval Whirl, and I riffed off of that tangent to the actual "list" topic. I wasn't attempting to argue SM onto your list.

Jeff

Top 5-
1. Haunted Mansion
2. Pirates
3. Tower of Terror and rock n roller coaster
4. Safari
5. Breathless

honorable mention - world showcase: drinking beer, eating, parade, illuminations

Bottom 5-
5. Energy adventure
4. speedway
3. mulhulland madness and jumpin jellyfish
2. back lot tour
1. super star limo

honorable mention - afternoon parades, honey I shrunk the audience again

I also like: Buzz lightyear
some people don't like, but not that bad to me: orange stinger, new management at tikki room, test track, living seas
I don't go to but doesn't bug me that it is there: presidents, treehouse

I started reading the thread...but I should probably pop out my best and worst lists before I get influenced by other's thoughts...

Just WDW here...never been west of PA.

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
2. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
3. Splash Mountain
4. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Space Mountain

I love so many others though!

There really are no attractions I hate at WDW (oops, sorry, forgot the dinocrap) ...and putting them on my worst list does not mean I want them taken away...more that they should be improved, but here are my worsts and why..
1. Pocahontas show (not bad, but obviously just a filler)
2. The Land boat ride (thumbs down because of misinformation and Nestle {babykillers} sponsorship...otherwise interesting)
3. Kali River Rapids (way too short, storyline isn't conveyed well, kinda boring....only excitement is the possibility of getting soaked and being miserably wet and smelly for the rest of the day)
4. Dino Rama (this one can be taken away)
5. Aladdin's Magic Carpets (cute enough spinner..fun too...but the placement of it is bad. Really changes Adventureland in an unpleasant way...and can be easily seen from Frontierland, which effects the show there as well.)

I started reading the thread...but I should probably pop out my best and worst lists before I get influenced by other's thoughts...

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
3. Splash Mountain
5. Space Mountain

There really are no attractions I hate at WDW (oops, sorry, forgot the dinocrap) ...and putting them on my worst list does not mean I want them taken away...more that they should be improved, but here are my worsts and why..
2. The Land boat ride (thumbs down because of misinformation and Nestle {babykillers} sponsorship...otherwise interesting)
3. Kali River Rapids (way too short, storyline isn't conveyed well, kinda boring....only excitement is the possibility of getting soaked and being miserably wet and smelly for the rest of the day)
5. Aladdin's Magic Carpets (cute enough spinner..fun too...but the placement of it is bad. Really changes Adventureland in an unpleasant way...and can be easily seen from Frontierland, which effects the show there as well.)

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
3. Splash Mountain
5. Space Mountain

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
3. Splash Mountain
5. Space Mountain

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
3. Splash Mountain
5. Space Mountain

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
3. Splash Mountain
5. Space Mountain

Best
1. Peter Pan's Flight
3. Splash Mountain
5. Space Mountain

My Best
1. Splash
2. ToT
3. Haunted Mansion
4. Muppets
5. Space
6. SpectroMagic for a parade
(I went with six to meet my Disney “full day” quota)

TT is OK, just too everyday (a car that climbs a hill, brakes, and can drive over bumpy roads, wow). The hot and cold rooms are different, but we also have the lame corrosion scene. Even the high speed turn is not that unique. That is if you’ve ever been leaving the parks at closing and suddenly see your exit is 3 lanes over.

Instead of Disney worst how about US best for comparison
1. Spiderman
2. MIB (has to be done at least 3 times)
3. Terminator
4. BTTF
5. Jurrasic
6. Hulk

Now this would be some park.

gosh, get a little tired of the best/worst lists and the next thing you know you're from Iowa :bounce: :bounce:

Best:

1. Pirates of the Caribbean (DL Version)
2. Haunted Mansion (DL Version, cause of the elevator, although if WDW ever had a redo where people enter the actual door and had DL's elevator, I'd go WDW's version)
3. American Adventure
4. Carousel of Progress
5. TIE WDW's Splash Mountain & DL's Indiana Jones

Worst:

1. Arcades w/ non Disney games (TL ones in both WDW & DL, boardwalk games) Sam McKim's Pirate games from DL were awesome though.
2. Paradise Pier minus the Sun Wheel (Stinger, Mullholland, Maliboomer, Jumping Jellyfish)
3. Cosmic Waves (it's listed as an attraction!)
4. DL's Astro Orbiter (why stick it on the ground!)
5. Sounds Dangerous (I just went to disney.com to see if this still existed or if it was a closure casualty and I saw that "Pin Trading" is listed as an ATTRACTION!!!!! )

The things you learn on Disney.com

Triceratops Spin is a "thrill ride"
Dumbo is an "all-time favorite" while Peter Pan is mearly a "kid's favorite"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter