Topolino's or California Grill

ilanakan

DIS Veteran
We're planning to visit in September (fingers crossed) and will be on the dining plan. We want to do a couple of signature dining experiences, and have the option of Topolino's or California Grill. If we have to choose between the two, which of them would you recommend, and why?

They are both good in my opinion. I love the steak and the pasta at Topolino's as well at the deserts. I also love the Steak and Sushi at California Grill as well as the desert choices. They both have signature cocktails and are similar in prices. If we were to only chose one it would be California Grill dinner for the MK fireworks.

I would choose California Grill. My DH and I ate at Topolinos and the food was so salty I couldn’t eat it. Plus after a long day at the park a three hour meal was too long.

That’s tough, really tough. It would depend on my mood. Sushi vs. Italian.

Last edited:

That’s tough l, really tough. It would depend on my mood. Sushi vs. Italian.
Topolino's is not really Italian as in what most people expect Italian to be. They have a great steak, bouillabaisse, seafood etc. California Grill has I believe 8 or 10 sushi rolls but they are not a sushi restaurant. They have really good wood fired pizzas, steak, seafood etc. I go back to California Grill for the Crème Brûlée alone :)

Topolino's is not really Italian as in what most people expect Italian to be. They have a great steak, bouillabaisse, seafood etc. California Grill has I believe 8 or 10 sushi rolls but they are not a sushi restaurant. They have really good wood fired pizzas, steak, seafood etc. I go back to California Grill for the Crème Brûlée alone :)

I would say Topolion is Italian with lots of seafood, olive oil, and fresh pasta IMO. Yes, Cali Grill is not a Sushi place per say, however, their rolls are fantastic as a meal. Having eating at both numerous times it’s hard to choose. Yes, I love the Crème Brûlée.

I would say Topolion is Italian with lots of seafood, olive oil, and fresh pasta IMO. Yes, Cali Grill is not a Sushi place per say, however, their rolls are fantastic as a meal. Having eating at both numerous times it’s hard to choose. Yes, I love the Crème Brûlée.
Yes it is Italian but what I said "is not really Italian as in what most people expect Italian to be". Being from an Italian family and having our own town in Italy, I know what Italian is. Most people associate Italian food with Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. Yes those are Italian but not really. And yes CG has amazing sushi rolls.

We hated Topolino's for a whole host of reasons. We are fortunate to eat at many of the signature restaurants and it is (by far!) our least favorite. Also, we knew the food was "Mediterranean" and were prepared for that.

Yet, in our opinions, the food was not good, the service was slow/indifferent, the room noise was crazy loud (not because it was busy but because it's one big tiled room) and we found the prices to be breathtakingly high for the quality.

We might go back to have a drink, see the fireworks but it will be a long long while before we'll even try this restaurant again.

I was hoping to be able to answer this in April on our trip. We have ADRs at both, but not sure that trip will happen.
May have to try again this fall.

We've eaten at CG many times, and just recently at Topolino's for the first time. We'd definitely give the edge to CG - more options for us that we like. DInner at Topolino's was nice - it's a gorgeous restaurant with amazing views (especially around sunset), and our service was outstanding. But only a percentage of the menu was of interest to us - and it's quite pricey (although some entrees at CG are pricey, too). We'll definitely return to CG before we do Topolino.

Made ADR's for Cal Grill. I know it's a few months off, but really stressed this trip will have to be cancelled. :(

I would choose California Grill. My DH and I ate at Topolinos and the food was so salty I couldn’t eat it. Plus after a long day at the park a three hour meal was too long.
That was our experience as well!

We had an absolutely amazing dinner at Topolino's a few weeks ago. Everything was fabulous!! The bread and olive oil they bring out is the best I have every had. My husband I I shared the olives to start with glasses of sparkling wine. The bread, olives, and sparkling went so well with the spectacular sunset! It was nice being able to step out on the terrace to take in that view.

Our main courses were excellent. Seafood fettuccine for my husband and veal chop for me.

We stepped outside at 9 to watch the three fireworks going off on the distance. MK, HS, and Epcot are visible. Epcot view is the better of the three. As others said fireworks is not why you dine here. Cool to watch but if you are looking for a fireworks experience CG is the winner.

Hoping to dine here again!

we always eat at Cali grill every trip, its never disappointed us for over 15 years of dining there. We tried both a dinner and the character breakfast at Topolinos in January. The breakfast food was great and service was great but the dinner was as if we ate at a totally different restaurant. Dinner was very bland, service was nothing at all to write home to and very impersonal. We had the dinner earlier in our trip than the breakfast. When we total our incredible server how different our experience was versus dinner he told us he hears that all the time. He continued to tell us to make sure and let someone know or if we get a survey to put that on there. He said the dinner service is run by a manager who came from outside of disney run establishments while the manager at breakfast came from several disney run restaurants and understood their standards better.

CG is on the plan for every trip I take with my wife. I tried Topolino's in February and ... it was nice. The veal chop was good and the lamb shank was... good. The whole experience was good, but in a 'just good' sort of way.

Thing is, every element of the place (the decor, staff, the food...) was so deliberate. Like the head chef put everything exactly where he wanted them to be and loved the outcome; meanwhile I was underwhelmed.

we are rebooked for Sept and going to book Cali grill tomorrow~ I get to redo all adrs and hope this trip is a GO!!!!

we are rebooked for Sept and going to book Cali grill tomorrow~ I get to redo all adrs and hope this trip is a GO!!!!
Hoping our trip will be a go at the beginning of Sep. Really worried we won't be allowed out of Australia or that things won't calm down by then, not to mention the economy going down the drain, and what that means for us as far as affording the trip. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter