TR - Memorial Weekend Madness - Feeling the Force & Celebrating the 5th - COMPLETE

I'm so sorry to hear things didn't go quite as planned. That's always a bummer especially when you feel like you've put so much work into planning your trip! I guess the only thing you can do is learn from those tough experience for next time - we've all been there.

I AM enjoying reading about your experiences - you're a great writer! I hope things start looking up a bit for you on the trip!

:thanks: and :welcome:

There were a few more challenges on the trip but also some great moments. I think the trip got better each day...

Sometimes Disney trips are so hard. We have such high expectations and then sometimes, things don't work out as planned and it's such a let-down. Your son seems so nice, I don't blame him for wanting to pose with characters. When you think about it, it is strange for children to wonder what the heck these things are.

Your post reminded me of an interaction we had with another parent on our Disney trip last Feb. We were taking the elevator at Poly and we were talking to a guy with a double stroller. I think we were all pretty worn out. He was like "are you having a good time (yes...), this is a nice place huh (yup...), but man this is a lot of work!" We couldn't agree more. Disney does feel like hard work sometimes....the planning, scheduling, walking, waiting in line, etc.

And yes, I guess I can see how DS would be frightened of the characters...it's just strange because he wasn't last year!

I'm here! I haven't had a lot of DIS time the past few days, and missed you starting a TR!

That heat really will do you in - that's why I don't dare go in summer! Although I can definitely see the draw of SWW! I'm loving all of the photos! Not sure if I'll ever give in to doing that - the guys in my family who would appreciate it the most, are also not happy in heat or crowds. So, I'll have to appreciate it through TRs. It does look like you made the right call to take ds back to the room.

During the trip we said we would never go back during this time of the year again due to the heat. But I am sure we were hot and tired when we said that. :)

Day - 3 - Part 1
SWW and Disney Jr. fun

I can't believe I am on day 3 already! Getting a little bummed that we are nearing the end.

Today was our last day at Hollywood Studios and we had a big day planned. We had the deluxe feel the force package, which entitled us to special parade and fireworks viewing spots, fast access to Darth Maul, and reserved seating for all the SW shows. We also had a fast pass for TSMM and planned to check out the Disney Jr. show.

The day started off great! We had a fast pass for Star Tours that morning, but we decided just to skip it and sleep in a little later. We didn't get inside the park until 9:30am or so. Check-in for our package was at 10am and when we arrived, there were only a few people in the area. Waiting for the parade to start was the hardest part. DS was a little restless so we walked around some shops...and I let him have a birthday lollipop.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Then the snacks came out! Ice cream, popcorn, soda, and water were included in the package. The ice cream was just a big mess but at least it kept us occupied for a little bit.

Finally the parade started.

ry%3D480

Our viewing location was right at the start of the parade
and we were directly on the curb. I thought the parade was awesome. I wouldn't wait two hours like some people do in order to get an unobstructed or shady view. I do believe purchasing the reserved viewing was the only option for us to see this parade. Even waiting the hour with snacks was pretty rough. We probably didn't need to get there that early. Our reserved section didn't get that crowded and the CM offered up some spots in the wheel chair section as well because it was almost empty.

And now for a ton of parade pics:

ry%3D480

This was Donald leaning down to say hi to DS. I think Stormtrooper Donald made quite an impression on DS. He immediately wanted to hold his little stormtrooper figure.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480
ry%3D480

So DS was holding his little stormtrooper figurine and of course he drops it....right on the edge of the parade route. I was trying to find a break in the parade to swoop down and get it quickly. Before I could get it though, Zam Wesell scooped down and placed it on the curb next to DS. Then she stood there and stared at him trying to get his attention. It was a really cool moment. Unfortunately, I was not quick enough with the camera to capture it. Here she is though (in the purple) from the show that happened after the parade.

ry%3D480

Another perk of the package was that you get to walk directly behind the parade up to the main stage. This gave us prime viewing spots for the post parade show. This was so cool. There were CMs holding up a rope to keep out the crowd and leading us towards the stage. There were a couple of ladies that tried to cut under the rope and join us, but the CMs blocked them. There was a gentleman walking next to me that said "this is so cool...my wife does all the planning, all I have to do is pack my bag. I don't know how she finds all this stuff." I said it ain't easy being the family planner...you should thank your wife!

The post parade show was great. I do think that DS was startled by the crowd and by some of the pyrotechnics (there were a few booms and smoke..). He started shouting, " I go potty, I go potty.." So I picked him up to try and move out of the crowd and towards the restroom but I couldn't get anywhere. People were packed like sardines and we were squished mid-center in the front. We just had to wait it out. I suspected that he just wanted to leave the situation and didn't really have to go that bad. Once we could move and I found the bathroom, I had to drag him in kicking and screaming to use the bathroom.

Here are some pics from the post parade show:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The parade and post show were a highlight of our trip!

Last edited:
Day - 3 - Part 2

I am not 100% sure what happened next...whether we had lunch or did TSMM first. I am just going to go with lunch! If I recall, we were sitting outside of the restrooms trying to figure out what was next and I said lets go eat! We walked towards TSMM and ended up at Studio Catering Co. I didn't have very high expectations because I have always read that HS didn't have great counter service options outside of Starring Rolls. But this food was yummy. I did wait FOREVER to order and then a long time to actually get the food. I got the turkey panini and soup, beef brisket sandwich for hubby, and nuggets for DS. It was all good!

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

While we were at lunch, we saw some storm troopers and imperial officers. One of the officers approached a young boy suspiciously. "Your hair color is not natural. Are you in disguise? I believe there is some deception in our midst" or something like that. The boy was a redhead. Then the stormtrooper pretended to scan his face. It was pretty funny.

After lunch, we headed over to TSMM for our fast pass. I think the normal wait was an hour and a half. There is no way that I would wait that long for any ride, ever.

Stormtrooper head rode with DH. DH really got a kick out the ride queue. I think he was getting nostalgic over some of the old school toys.

ry%3D400

So I was pretty excited about the whole family going on the ride together. I was hoping DS would enjoy it. DS did seem to enjoy the ride queue but not the actual ride very much. He didn't want to put the glasses on and some of the noises bothered him. I finally stopped shooting and just talked about the scenes with him. He does like Woody and Buzz. His dad was having a blast though. After the ride he was trying to compare scores. Umm...I scored like 100 points.

After TSMM, it was time to head over to Disney Jr. Live. I was happy because I knew that DS would love this. We went to this show last year and I just enjoyed watching his reaction. This year, I got DH to come along with us and sit on the floor with DS while I chilled in the back on a bench. Birthday hat, stormtrooper head was keeping me company.

The show is pretty neat. It is basically a puppet show with one live actor. There are segments with Mickey Mouse Club House, Sofia, Doc McStuffins, and Jake. DS really loved it. There w
ere bubbles and fake
gold doubloons falling from the ceiling. I could see him sitting with his daddy and just having a blast, especially when it was time to dance!

ry%3D400

Outside of the Disney Jr. theater, there are meet and greet locations for Jake, Sofia, and Doc McStuffins. Last year, DS had a great interaction with Jake. This year, he ran towards Doc McStuffins. We waited in line for about 15 minutes. DS was super hyper, especially as we got closer to the Doc....but then yep, you guessed it. As soon as it was actually our turn, he wouldn't go near her. He was hiding behind me and actually pulling on my pants so hard they were coming down. To say I was annoyed would be an understatement. To be honest, I think I said "GET OFF OF MY PANTS, RIGHT NOW!." It was not my finest moment. My hands were full with stormtrooper head, a water bottle, and camera bag..plus my pants were coming down. So I sat down my bag and stormtrooper head (not so gently) and picked up DS to go over to Doc McStuffins.

This was the end result.

ry%3D400

When it was all over, the Doc actually leaned down and picked up my stuff for me. I'm sure there was some young woman (or man) in that costume thinking get this crazy lady out of here. But it turned out all good.

This was actually not the first encounter between DS and Doc. Last year, we went to the Disney Jr. dance party. Not sure if this is still held but it was the cutest thing. It was like a disco party for the preschool crowd.
DS loved dancing with the Doc and I think he developed a little crush.

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

After we had our Doc encounter, DS shouted "Jake, I go see Jake.." and I said no way buddy. We were done with the character meets for awhile.

At this point, I was ready to head back to the room. I wanted to take a break and then had an errand to run outside of the Disney bubble. The only thing keeping me from exiting right at that moment was our express access to Darth Mall. It was only good for the day and I knew that if I didn't use it then, I wouldn't use it at all. So we made our way over to the shopping complex. I didn't find this experience particularly special and if I think about it too hard, it makes me feel silly. Think about it...I paid money for a special pass that would allow me express entrance to a store where I could spend more money! Disney has this model worked out pretty well. It was handy though to skip the line to get in the store. I think DS was hitting his limit and so was I. So we quickly made our purchases (t-shirts and mugs) and left. I was able to use Disney visa rewards to cover most of the cost.

DH and I split up again, so that he could watch SW shows and I could go back and rest. DS and I took the car back to CBR. On the way out of the park, I had to take care of some bad guys.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We made it back to CBR and rested for awhile. I really wanted to take a nap, but needed to run to the store. I had the bright idea that I should go get ear protection for DS since he was afraid of the fireworks noise. So I went off in search of Dicks Sporting Goods. DS literally slept from the time we left, through the store (was in stroller) and back to the resort. This made me very, very happy but also a little jealous. I was
exhausted too. I ended up going to Krispy Kreme, getting coffee, and sitting in my car for about 20 minutes...just trying to wake up and get it together.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like you had a packed day. Would you say the premium pass was worth it?

Day - 3 - Part 2

I am not 100% sure what happened next...whether we had lunch or did TSMM first. I am just going to go with lunch! If I recall, we were sitting outside of the restrooms trying to figure out what was next and I said lets go eat! We walked towards TSMM and ended up at Studio Catering Co. I didn't have very high expectations because I have always read that HS didn't have great counter service options outside of Starring Rolls. But this food was yummy. I did wait FOREVER to order and then a long time to actually get the food. I got the turkey panini and soup, beef brisket sandwich for hubby, and nuggets for DS. It was all good!

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

While we were at lunch, we saw some storm troopers and imperial officers. One of the officers approached a young boy suspiciously. "Your hair color is not natural. Are you in disguise? I believe there is some deception in our midst" or something like that. The boy was a redhead. Then the stormtrooper pretended to scan his face. It was pretty funny.

After lunch, we headed over to TSMM for our fast pass. I think the normal wait was an hour and a half. There is no way that I would wait that long for any ride, ever.

Stormtrooper head rode with DH. DH really got a kick out the ride queue. I think it was getting nostalgic over some of the old school toys.

ry%3D400

So I was pretty excited about the whole family going on the ride together. I was hoping DS would enjoy it. DS did seem to enjoy the ride queue but not the actual ride very much. He didn't want to put the glasses on and some of the noises bothered him. I finally stopped shooting and just talked about the scenes with him. He does like Woody and Buzz. His dad was having a blast though. After the ride he was trying to compare scores. Umm...I scored like 100 points.

After TSMM, it was time to head over to Disney Jr. Live. I was happy because I knew that DS would love this. We went to this show last year and I just enjoyed watching his reaction. This year, I got DH to come along with us and sit on the floor with DS while I chilled in the back on a bench. Birthday hat, stormtrooper head was keeping me company.

The show is pretty neat. It is basically a puppet show with one live actor. There are segments with Mickey Mouse Club House, Sofia, Doc McStuffins, and Jake. DS really loved it. There w
ere bubbles and fake
gold doubloons falling from the ceiling. I could see him sitting with his daddy and just having a blast, especially when it was time to dance!

ry%3D400

Outside of the Disney Jr. theater, there are meet and greet locations for Jake, Sofia, and Doc McStuffins. Last year, DS had a great interaction with Jake. This year, he ran towards Doc McStuffins. We waited in line for about 15 minutes. DS was super hyper, especially as we got closer to the Doc....but then yep, you guessed it. As soon as it was actually our turn, he wouldn't go near her. He was hiding behind me and actually pulling on my pants so hard they were coming down. To say I was annoyed would be an understatement. To be honest, I think I said "GET OFF OF MY PANTS, RIGHT NOW!." It was not my finest moment. My hands were full with stormtrooper head, a water bottle, and camera bag..plus my pants were coming down. So I sat down my bag and stormtrooper head (not so gently) and picked up DS to go over to Doc McStuffins.

This was the end result.

ry%3D400

When it was all over, the Doc actually leaned down and picked up my stuff for me. I'm sure there was some young woman (or man) in that costume thinking get this crazy lady out of here. But it turned out all good.

This was actually not the first encounter between DS and Doc. Last year, we went to the Disney Jr. dance party. Not sure if this is still held but it was the cutest thing. It was like a disco party for the preschool crowd.

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

After we had our Doc encounter, DS shouted "Jake, I go see Jake.." and I said no way buddy. We were done with the character meets for awhile.

At this point, I was ready to head back to the room. I wanted to take a break and then had an errand to run outside of the Disney bubble. The only thing keeping me from exiting right at that moment was our express access to Darth Mall. It was only good for the day and I knew that if I didn't use it then, I wouldn't use it at all. So we made our way over to the shopping complex. I didn't find this experience particularly special and if I think about it too hard, it makes me feel silly. Think about it...I paid money for a special pass that would allow me express entrance to a store where I could spend more money! Disney has this model worked out pretty well. It was handy though to skip the line to get in the store. I think DS was hitting him limit and so was I. So we quickly made our purchases (t-shirts and mugs) and left. I was able to use Disney visa rewards to cover most of the cost.

DH and I split up again, so that he could watch SW shows and I could go back and rest. DS and I took the car back to CBR. On the way out of the park, I had to take care of some bad guys.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We made it back to CBR and rested for awhile. I really wanted to take a nap, but needed to run to the store. I had the bright idea that I should go get ear protection for DS since he was afraid of the fireworks noise. So I went off in search of Dicks Sporting Goods. DS literally slept from the time we left, through the store (was in stroller) and back to the resort. This made me very, very happy but also a little jealous. I was
exhausted too. I ended up going to Krispy Kreme, getting coffee, and sitting my car for about 20 minutes...just trying to wake up and get it together.

Wow, sounds like you had a packed day. Would you say the premium pass was worth it?

Our family did not get all of the value from the package. I knew that we wouldn't when we purchased it.

There were two packages, deluxe and premium. We had deluxe. Some of the different perks from the deluxe package is getting reserved seating to all the shows, getting to walk behind the parade, and express Darth Mall access. DH only did one show and we did none. I heard that the parade and viewing areas for the premium package were more crowded than deluxe. We loved the parade viewing. However, my DH had a strong negative reaction to the fireworks dessert party...so I'm just not sure how to answer. If I was alone, I would have really enjoyed more of the pass perks...but then I would be lonely :).

Last edited:
So on the way home from school tonight, I had this conversation with DS:

Me: Did you have fun at Disney World
DS: Yes
Me: Do you want to go back
Me: What do you want to see at Disney World
DS: Castle!
Me: Really??? Even with the scary fireworks
DS: Yes! Castle. Fireworks go boom boom

:confused3

If you read the post about or MK night experience and read the posting coming up about the SWW fireworks, you will realize why I find this so confusing.

I'm so jealous you got the deluxe premium package for Feel the Force! I tried to get it but it was sold out for the entire weekend we were there. Your pictures of the parade are awesome. Plus, we never made it to Darth's Mall because the line was too long! And where did you get those great shots with the stormtroopers and you fighting Darth with the lightsaber? Totally didn't see those and we had a lot of pics with PP photographers!!

So on the way home from school tonight, I had this conversation with DS:

Me: Did you have fun at Disney World
Me: Do you want to go back
Me: What do you want to see at Disney World
DS: Castle!
Me: Really??? Even with the scary fireworks
DS: Yes! Castle. Fireworks go boom boom

:confused3

If you read the post about or MK night experience and read the posting coming up about the SWW fireworks, you will realize why I find this so confusing.
Your DS is so funny. Well, I think you are a GREAT mom for booking such a fun packed trip for your family :)

I never thought about blocking the sensor. I have a road trip coming up in a few weeks and I will definitely try this out! Thanks for the tip.

It was pretty funny seeing the reaction to "stormtrooper head." That bank was definitely the best Disney purchase we have had in awhile.

A band aid will also work in a pinch to cover the sensor! I'm enjoying your report. My DD is 20 now. It gets easier. Enjoy these days, though. The days are long, but the years are short!

Day - 3 - Part 2

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

Stormtrooper head rode with DH. DH really got a kick out the ride queue. I think he was getting nostalgic over some of the old school toys.

ry%3D400

ere bubbles and fake

ry%3D400

This was the end result.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

At this point, I was ready to head back to the room. I wanted to take a break and then had an errand to run outside of the Disney bubble. The only thing keeping me from exiting right at that moment was our express access to Darth Mall. It was only good for the day and I knew that if I didn't use it then, I wouldn't use it at all. So we made our way over to the shopping complex. I didn't find this experience particularly special and if I think about it too hard, it makes me feel silly. Think about it...I paid money for a special pass that would allow me express entrance to a store where I could spend more money! Disney has this model worked out pretty well. It was handy though to skip the line to get in the store. I think DS was hitting his limit and so was I. So we quickly made our purchases (t-shirts and mugs) and left. I was able to use Disney visa rewards to cover most of the cost.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

exhausted too. I ended up going to Krispy Kreme, getting coffee, and sitting in my car for about 20 minutes...just trying to wake up and get it together.

Oh, bless your heart! From the outsider's perspective, though, the "GET OFF MY PANTS!" comment was pretty funny!

I'm so jealous you got the deluxe premium package for Feel the Force! I tried to get it but it was sold out for the entire weekend we were there. Your pictures of the parade are awesome. Plus, we never made it to Darth's Mall because the line was too long! And where did you get those great shots with the stormtroopers and you fighting Darth with the lightsaber? Totally didn't see those and we had a lot of pics with PP photographers!!

Sorry you couldn't get the package you wanted. I literally stalked it (through the SWW thread) until we could book. I do think the parade viewing was the best part of the experience. We had a great, low stress location.

The magic shot was over by the Coke area. I was walking back from Darth Mall towards the entrance. There was like no line either. I don't think most people noticed the photographer.

Last edited:
A band aid will also work in a pinch to cover the sensor! I'm enjoying your report. My DD is 20 now. It gets easier. Enjoy these days, though. The days are long, but the years are short!

Nice. It seems so common sense to cover the sensor, but I just hadn't thought about it before.

Yes, I keep reminding myself that he wouldn't be a little guy forever.....I actually can't believe he is 5 now!

Last edited:
Thinking about how fast my little one is growing up has me reminiscing about our first trip to WDW in Feb 2013. DS was not quite three and my mother came along. This is one of my favorite pics of the whole trip. We were all so excited and just really happy to be together. This was a bit of a reunion as we had recently moved away from our families.

ry%3D400

Oh, bless your heart! From the outsider's perspective, though, the "GET OFF MY PANTS!" comment was pretty funny!

Well...I think I would rather have people laughing at me/the situation than thinking I am a mean, crazy lady.

Great report...thanks for sharing. My daughter is 7 and has down syndrome and has lots of issues with the loud noises at Disney. We bring headphones for her which help quite a bit.

Day 3 - Continued

So while DS and I were off running our errand, DH stayed at Hollywood Studios to check out a show and build his lightsaber at Darth Mall.

I believe the show he watched was Stars of the Saga. He said he really enjoyed it and thought James Arnold Taylor was pretty interesting. I really wanted to see this show (or any show) but didn't think it wise with DS. Since DH is really the huge SW fan, I took one for the team and let him have some solo fun as long as he promised to take some good pics. He delivered I think:

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

After the show, DH went to build his own lightsaber. Of course this could only mean one thing....epic lightsaber battles!

ry%3D400

The force is strong with you padawan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter