TR MyMagic+-Our September Adventure to Disney and Universal/IOA

streetlight

Earning My Ears
Who: lisa & will from New York, NY
lisa is a restaurant manager by grand central station (but wants to act) and will is a toy buyer for a small children's store near union square (but wants to write). We're in our early 20s and have been together for almost 3 years.

Some of our favorite disney things: the Muppets, Donald Duck, Imaginering, Dinosaur, Haunted Mansion, disney's amazing marketing, winnie the pooh, Nightmare Before Christmas, alice in wonderland, sword in the stone, and anything pixar

Where: Pop Century; Universal/IOA for 3days and Disney for 4 days. Sept 15-21

Why?: Last year I took will on his very first Disney trip and he loved it so much were going again for the same dates this year for his very first Universal/IOA trip and back to Disney, of course

The basics: We've been dreaming up this second trip since we left last September but didn't start getting anything together until about April. A little short notice for me seeing as I LOVE to plan. And now we're leaving in 13 days!!!
I decided to write this TR because I've lurked on many other TRs in my time and also we have been selected to be a part of the MyMagic+ and Fastpass+ test and thought that could certainly help out future vacationers.

Dining Reservations: Brown Derby, California Grill, Artist Point, Raglan Road, Olivia's Cafe, Chefs de France, San Angel Inn, and every living moment is spent trying to get a reservation for Be Our Guest but I would also take getting to test the fastpass+ lunch service. No matter what we're finding a way to eat in there. Or at least take a look around.

This is my first report, and first post on DIS really, but I have read loads so hopefully this isn't too awful. But I do promise there will be a TON of typos.

I was very interested in MyMagic+ when everything started coming out about the last few months. I certainly had my reservations at first about RF and all that but the more I've read about it the more secure I now feel. I was very curious if the full program would be ready by our trip. On my disney experience page there was always a link for "manage magic bands" and "manage fastpass+" Every once in a while I would click on them to see if it would magically get me into their program.
Well... that sort of worked. But it was probably just a clever coincidence. Eventually every time that I signed in a little window popped up trying to tell me about mymagic+ By this time I had already read up as much as I could on the new system but I continued to always click on their links just in case they were looking for people feverishly reading about it.
Then about 2 weeks ago a window popped up telling me to customize my magic band:confused: From reading I knew I would have to receive an invitation to use mymagic+ and when I clicked on it, sure enough it just asked me for my confirmation number(which I didn't have) I went and searched vigourously through my email and spam to make sure I hadn't missed the invitation.
I hadn't.
But the very next day I clicked on the fastpass+ link just for kicks and low and behold it let me customize for our entire week! :banana:
(still no email or magic bands though)
The fastpass+ system was a little overwhelming at first. How in the world o I know what I want to do at 11am on a tuesday a month from now? But after playing with it and changing my reservations about 324 times i think that I've figured it out.
I really love how easy they make it for you to change or alter a fastpass+. You just have to understand their language. Basically you select your day and then pick up to three attractions and it gives you 3-4 choices of time lines for your events. It seemed to me it was either, everything early, middle of day, or late. You can't individually change attraction times at this stage but you can after you confirm your selections.
Disney says you can make fastpass+ selections for all of your party together or separately and that is exactly how I suggest doing this. Either all together or all separate. I'm sure that it is possible to combine but at that point I had spent much too time trying to figure out the system.
To change/alter a fastpass you have 4 options "select or replace" "change" "copy" or "cancel"
select or replace in my experience just overwrites anything that you already have chosen.
"change" has been my favorite tool. You can either change the attraction or the time for any selection of your party.
"copy" will copy an existing fp from one member to another
"cancel" will cancel any selected fps

You can only make fp+ selections for one park a day so it isn't the best for avid park hoppers.

About 2 days after it let me create fp+ reservations when I clocked manage magic bands it let me customize our bands. I was extremely excited :cool1:
You get to pick from about 6 colors (red, blue, green, orange, pink, and grey were our choices)
You can personalize them with up to 9 characters, including spaces, and no special characters (!,&, etc)
There was a notice at the top of the page saying to hurry and customize because our bands could be shipped at any moment. And no kidding, our bands were shipped 2 days later.

We got them in about 5 days. Even better was the day we got our magic bands we finally got our invitation email to participate in MyMagic+
Not sure how we already had our magic bands in hand(literally) and had only just received our invitation. To top it off, this morning I received a mailed invitation to test mymagic+ over two weeks from initially planning fp+ services.
So if you are extremely anxious to know if you'll be contacted, I suggest keep clicking on the pages for them because it certainly worked for us.

This basically is the email/letter we got. (they looked exactly the same.) And our reservation number for mymagic+ was our same resort package number.

As an upcoming Disney Resort hotel Guest, you could help us test a new way to experience Walt Disney World Resort before we share it with the rest of the world. It's a new collection of magical tools we're calling MyMagic+.

Since MyMagic+ is still being developed, we're offering this opportunity for some Guests, like you, to test it out during your upcoming visit and tell us what you think works and where we need to improve. But don't worry, if you decide not to participate in this test, you will still enjoy a great Walt Disney World visit.
As a tester, you get to try our NEW MagicBand.
This cool and colorful wristband is an all-in-one accessory that connects you to all of the selections you've made. You can use the MagicBand to:
• Enter your Disney Resort hotel room with just a touch.
• Enter the Walt Disney World Parks (valid Park admission required).
• Access the FastPass+ attractions and shows you've selected.
• Purchase food and merchandise at select locations*.
And, test our new FastPass+ service to reserve access to select attractions and shows before you leave home.
Disney FASTPASS® Service has always been a great way to enjoy Walt Disney World attractions with little or no wait. During this test, with the NEW Disney FastPass+ service** you can reserve access to select attractions and shows in advance (valid Theme Park admission required).
If you would like to participate in the MyMagic+ test,
simply visit MyDisneyExperience.com and complete the
steps below by September 5, 2013.

We are going during free dining.
Flying Jet Blue.
We're renting a car through SIXT. I haven't heard too much about this company but we chose it because they don't charge a fee for under 25 renters. It will require a shuttle from the airport but it says it only takes about 5min. Plus they have an express line at the rental place if you pre-enter things online. I'll give them a full review when we get back.
Affecting our dining is Will is allergic to soy and peanuts and I'm pescitarian. So fish is pretty much the only thing we can eat together seeing as he hates vegetables and is allergic to almost everything I get protein from. Plus his favorite food is a cheeseburger and I haven't eaten meat in over 5years.

The plan:
We have changed plans back and forth and made and cancelled so many reservations that my head is left spinning. :eek:
But, for now at least, this is the idea.
We arrive in Orlando around 9:30am, pick up our rental, and head straight for universal. We spend a short day there tiring ourselves out then head to Pop Century to check in and take a nap. Now Will thinks that we'll then either go back to universal or relax at the hotel (depending on how we feel) But I have a surprise for him. I secretly purchased an extra day ticket to disney and that night Magic Kingdom will be open till midnight, so I'm going to take him there our first night to see our favorites. I've been hinting for weeks that we'll be so tired the first day and must take a nap at some point.
We're also trying to decide if we want to eat at California Grill on our first night. The other option would be tuesday (a universal day) so we could possibly see the halloween fireworks from the restaurant. I'm really excited to try it especially so close after the renovation.
The next two days will be spent at Universal/IOA. Will has never gone. We can't wait to see the new Simpsons land and of course Harry Potter world.
Our third night we'll eat at either Artist Point or California Grill depending on what we decide about the fireworks.
Wednesday(4th day) will be in Epcot. We have fp+ for soarin, mission space, and test track. Test track was closed on our last trip so I can't wait!
For lunch we're having Chefs de France. We originally planned on Le Cellier but seeing all of that steak probably would have killed me. For dinner we'll be enjoying San Angel Inn. We went on our last trip but Will was feeling unwell and we had to wait over 30min to even see the receptionist for our reservation so hopefully this time will be better. The food was great, at least.
Thursday we'll be at Magic Kingdom. We're planning to do Be Our Guest for lunch (hopefully with fastpasses) and possibly even for dinner if we can get a reservation. I hear the food is decent but I really want to just check out the dining rooms. They look amazing in pictures. Our fp+ are peterpan, haunted mansion, enchanted tales with belle, and they gave us a bonus one for ariel's under the sea.
Friday will be Animal Kingdom. We're having breakfast at Olivia's Cafe and dinner at Raglan Road. fp+ for dinosaur, safari, and finding nemo.
I haven't found any food I like at animal kingdom. I was so mad on our last trip that a park devoted to animals only serves animals to eat. I had to get a specially altered dish at the yak&yeti express last time and it wasn't good, just noodles. One place also has a grilled veggie sandwich but again, it wasn't good and no protein to speak of.
After Raglan Road we'll be at downtown disney, they sent us free passes to disney quest. Our favorite is the buzz lighters bumper cars. Too cool.
Saturday we spend at Hollywood Studios and eat at Brown Derby for lunch. fp+ indiana jones, star tours, and toy story.
We will possibly leave the park early to check out the disney outlet store on our way back to the airport. (depending on hoe many souviners we already have.)
And then it's back to the day jobs. But hopefully it'll be super crazy fun that'll last forever in our hearts :goodvibes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter