Transfer Restrictions?

Beth

Just happy to be here...
Please remind me...

Are you restriced to one transfer per <i>calendar year</i> or <i>use-year</i>?

Thanks
- Beth

Can you help us help you by defining 'transfer' for us ? I, at least, am not familiar with this term as it is applied to DVC.

I think it is per use year (but I could be wrong!!)

Transfer refers to our ability to transfer points from one member to another. Banked/borrowed points may not be transferred. Points transferred will retain their original home resort and use year. One transfer per year is allowed- either in or out.

And Doc... "both" parties are affected, right?

So are both sides held to the use-year from which the points were transferred, or is the receiving party restricted to his "own" use-year?

Due to the many posts I've read on point transfers between members, I've always just accepted that transfers into or out of a member's account are limited to once per year. Today I actually got out my Member's Guidelines and cannot find anywhere that says transfers are limited.

Item #3 of my Member's Guidlelines document is entitled "Transferring Vacation Points Between Members". (It's on page 7 of the 8/15/99 revision). There are 7 items in this section which describe restrictions to transfers. NONE OF THEM SAY ANYTHING ABOUT TRANSFERS BEING LIMITED IN NUMBER.

Can anyone tell me where in the DVC documents it says that transfers are limited to once per year? I can't find it. Did this perhaps get changed in a subsequent revision of the documents? Thanks!

CarolMN.

I, for one, can't tell you that I've read it anywhere, either, except on these Boards.

Good Question... Anyone?!?

One in OR one out per use year. So transfers from one member to another limits both for the entire use year.

Can anyone tell me where in the DVC documents it says that transfers are limited to once per year?

Since I'm away from home, I don't have access to any of my documents, but I have looked transfers up many times and am certain the once per year limitation is in there. It is also in the POS in multiple locations.

Multisite POS dated 3/2000
Only one (1) Transfer per Club Member, either as Transferee or Transferor, will be permitted during a given use year.
Since Club member is the "owner of record", I wonder if you could make an arguement for multiple owners for multiple transfers but I doubt it. Also by the wording, it could preclude a single owner with multiple contracts from more than one transfer per year. I guess it's good that our contracts are different with my wife not being on one and being the contact person on the other.

Thanks, Dean. I was looking in the 3/2000 "Disney Vacation Club At Disney's Boardwalk Villas Component Site Public Offering Statement". Is that the same document that you quoted from? I hope not, because I would have cheerfully sworn there was nothing in there about transfers. I'll look again. And also in the CD they gave us.

PS. I don't think I will ever use the transfer option. I just want to be more familar with the documents and how to find info. They're not the most user-friendly things I've ever had to read! :D

I looked through my OKW 3/2000 and didn't see it. It does reference the "Home Resort Rules ang Regulations" in the OKW POS which is where I found it in the Multi Site POS. This makes sense as this is more of a Club function than an ownership function.

Though I do not have the documents with me, the one transfer per year rule is stated in more than one document. One thing to understand is that the one-transfer rule is limited in application. It only applies to the actual transfer of points from one member to another. It does not apply to a member who uses his points to make a reservation for another member or person; for example if you rent to another member and you do the reservation using your points and putting the reservation in the other's name, that is not covered by the one-transfer rule as you have not actually transferred points from your account to the account of the other member, and you can make ressies for another using your points as many times of year as you want.

What about transferring between two memberships? I have 2 different use years at BW - If I need to transfer a few points more than once a year (to have the points required in the account/per night work out) would I be restricted?

I have not had a problem doing that; once the CM had to get a supervisor to help her, but this falls under the exceptions that drusba pointed out.

Originally posted by LIDisneyFan
What about transferring between two memberships? I have 2 different use years at BW - If I need to transfer a few points more than once a year (to have the points required in the account/per night work out) would I be restricted?
I also have 2 contracts, both at OKW. I explored extensively about this questions even before I bought and have continued to test the waters when necessary. The word I've gotten in every case is that the rules are official but there is "significant flexibility" when looking at multiple contracts and single owners. They essentially said they'd look at it on a case by case basis but it shouldn't be a problem. Of course use years, points expiration and home resort priorities will remain the same. One area it would be important is for "exchanges" like DCL where DVC can only make the reservation from one contract.

What I've found is they will always make it work. What I have noticed in the last year though is that the pauses on the phone when I mention it, knowledge and willingness of MS to make it happen is just a little less than it was a couple of years ago.

We have two contracts one at OKW one HH. I just booked cruise for next year. We booked two rooms. In order to do what I wanted on points MS booked first room on points from HH. Then transferred remaining points to OKW account and booked second room. This left my remaining points at OKW where I want to book our next trip at 11 month window.

MS did state that you could not transfer banked points and could not undo transfer of points once they have moved points. I did have to wait on the line while a supervisor manually transferred the points as their system would not let them do it this far in advance. She also stated this option you could only use once every use year.

With one owner and 2 contracts, they will tranfer banked and borrowed points when the need arises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter