• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TransGeneration on LOGO

LJC1861

DIS Veteran<br><font color=teal>Suffers from a Tag
I just finished watching 2 eposides of this compelling documentary. It features 4 transexuals who happen to be college students. 2 are male to female, and 2 are female to male....all from different backgrounds and from different parts of the country. I can't even fathom how difficult like must be for these young people.

I remembered how hard I struggled to tell my family that I was lesbian. I can only imagine how much harder it must be to tell your family about your gender identity issues.........

Linda

The entire series actually aired during the fall of 2005 on the Sundance Channel, and my partner and I watched it faithfully. We, too, found it absolutely fascinating. My partner is about to finish getting her master's degree in Public Administration, so she can go into government/polotics and work for lobbyist organizations like HRC. She's been heavy in GLBT studies and issues for many years, so needless to say she was completely raving about this series. I don't want it say too much about it, since you've only seen the first 2 episodes, but it's definitely worth watching. :)

Billie,

I don't think I saw the first 2 episodes....just 2 episodes. They seemed to be about in the middle in that they weren't just introducing the people being profiled. It was so sad to know that Raci had to resort to getting her hormones off the street and the panic that she was in when she ran out. It broke my heart to see TJ just fall apart when trying to write to his Mom. Lucas touched me in that he is trying so hard to be sensitive towards his family...and reaching out to his Dad the best way he can. The only one I had difficulty with was Gabbie, who doesn't seem to be living.....just sitting waiting a painfully long time for surgery. I hope that I can see more of this show....I want to know how it all turns out.

Linda

I am totally obsessed with this show! It's giving me a lot of insight and understanding about something I know very little about and truly hope it's doing that for lots of other people to. It's great little show and I love all the people on it.

I was lucky enough to see the two hour trailer version of the show at a special preview screening before it aired on Sundance in the fall. It was a good show but kinda painful for me to watch them go through the more painful parts. So, I'm totally outting myself here, but I think I'm the only tranny on the disboards. If you think your pals think your nuts for being queer and loving disney imagine being trans on top of it! One thing many non trans folks don't think about is one of the things I love about 'the world.' Being able to go on a vacation where there are gender-neutral (aka companion) bathrooms everywhere was amazing. I often dread travel in general because of this but at WDW it's cool. The only thing that was kinda sticky was dinner at CRT where the CMs call everyone 'my lord' and 'princess' and such-I gave my server a challenge but in general it was an awesome trip and reaffirmed my life long love of Disney. I know my partner and I will be treated well there.

abminer said:
So, I'm totally outting myself here, but I think I'm the only tranny on the disboards. If you think your pals think your nuts for being queer and loving disney imagine being trans on top of it! One thing many non trans folks don't think about is one of the things I love about 'the world.' Being able to go on a vacation where there are gender-neutral (aka companion) bathrooms everywhere was amazing. I often dread travel in general because of this but at WDW it's cool. The only thing that was kinda sticky was dinner at CRT where the CMs call everyone 'my lord' and 'princess' and such-I gave my server a challenge but in general it was an awesome trip and reaffirmed my life long love of Disney. I know my partner and I will be treated well there.
Abminer -- Thanks very much for being so open. I'm so glad to know that WDW is a comfortable environment. The importance of a companion bathroom for someone besides people needing 'assistance' had never occured to me. thanks for educating me.

I agree with ya'll about the program Transgeneration...it is very well done! It's been a while since I saw the program. I keep looking for more episodes and I guess I've just missed them. Like LJC1861, I felt horrible about Raci! It just plain stinks that she has to get her hormones off the streets! It made me mad when I saw that! I can't even imagine how difficult these people's lives are...everything that they must endure is just amazing!

abminer, thanks for being strong enough to share with us! I totally agree with you about the bathrooms though...it's too bad we can't have some bathrooms like when I lived in Holland...both sexes used the same facility and everyone had a private stall.

Anyway, I hope to find more episodes...I find it very informative and interesting!

Well, that's my 2 cents!

I agree with all of you, I caught an episode over Xmas and found it enlightening. I'll make an effort to try and catch the rest of them.

Did anyone catch the new episode Mon. night? Raci is wanting to live in the dorms and I am worried for her. I was not clear on if they were an all girls dorm or if they were mixed. If it is an all girls dorm, will they let her live there? God I hope so, she wants to live a normal college life and be able to be on campus. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to be transgendered and to go through the whole process of reassignment. It just tears at my heart to see what some of them are going through. I hope that someday this information will be shared in a more public way, as far as schools, etc. Growing up in a small town, I wonder how a teen would go about getting info., help and support here. It is truly amazing the courage and the strength these young people have.

Yeah...I saw the episode about Raci wanting to move into the dorms. I am just plain worried about her! I think it was the same episode where the women in her family had a "mini-intervention" with Raci. They sat her down and had a talking to her about the way she is dressing and acting...she had been out partying earlier in the episode and a guy started hooking up with her on the dance floor...she seemed to be having a good time until the guy got too close and she literally ran off the dance floor. Her mom spoke to the camera about how she is worried that someone is gonna hurt her child...for the way she dresses and then find out the physical gender and freak! It's an honest fear for a parent...I know I'd be freaked out about my child...there are so many weirdos who will do whatever just because they don't like you. (I still remember a guy who was a year older than me in school...he was gay and did drag locally. One night a pyscho freak and his wife took the guy out, beat him, killed him and decapitated him because of who he was...SICK!) I really felt for Raci's mom...no parent wants to see their child suffer.

And TJ? Wow! That phone call to his mom...wow! Totally different culture there...

Lucas...I sure hope his dad can talk to him...hope they can meet in the middle.

And then there's Gabby...who just seems too...I'm not sure what, but something...I just can't put my finger on it. All I can say is what awesome grandparents she has...and a Presybterian (I know I didn't spell that right) minister taboot!

I set the Tivo to record the future episodes for me so now I should be able to follow. Like T&KHayes, I just can't imagine where teens have been able to find the information...glad they are sharing in hopes of helping others.

T&KHayes said:
Just a reminder folks...new episode tonight! :thumbsup2

Thanks for that reminder! Now, I know why I've been missing the new episodes...usually gone with DS to his music lessons on Monday night...but I set the TIVO to record the programs last week...it had better work or I'll be trying to catch it in repeat mode later in the week.

Okay...finally got to watch another episode...Raci went to her first GLBT meeting on campus...what a load she removed from her shoulders! I think she will start having more positive moments in her life...her friend, Janua (can't spell the name right, but the guy who does captioning for Raci at school)...he was at the meeting and I think it was good for her...he seems like he'll be a good source of support.

TJ...seemed like the visit to his girlfriend's house was going good...you can tell he's really dreading the trip home...looks like he was not packing for TJ to visit family, but the daughter they expect to see again. Wow! I'm sure there are some very different cultural factors involved with the family in Cyprus.

Lucas seems to be hanging in there...supporting his friend during surgery...but wow! What about Gabbie? I felt so badly for her friend Kate, who had the surgery and if it hadn't been for her mom, would have had no suppport. I just get a weird vibe from Gabbie...Kate pretty much hit on the nose...Gabbie just wasn't being a good friend, but I think there might be more to it.

I'm a little peeved with my TIVO and DirectTV...it seems they aren't quite synced and the TIVO cuts off before all of the update info is over. Anyone know a website that I can go to and find the followup? I guess I'll try logo.com...or google search, but if anyone knows, it'd be helpful. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter