Travel Advisory - Canadian’s out of country

WJ is not doing international or transborder for 30 days, officially put a nail in the coffin of my mid April trip. My aunt is returning from Phoenix early as she’s been told her medical insurance will not cover after the 23rd. My Dad is being stubborn and not returning until it’s not cold here 🤦‍♀️ I guess the only solace is he’s pretty much a hermit in his trailer, so hopefully that keeps him safe.

WJ is not doing international or transborder for 30 days, officially put a nail in the coffin of my mid April trip. My aunt is returning from Phoenix early as she’s been told her medical insurance will not cover after the 23rd. My Dad is being stubborn and not returning until it’s not cold here 🤦‍♀️ I guess the only solace is he’s pretty much a hermit in his trailer, so hopefully that keeps him safe.

For those who haven't seen WestJet's announcement:

https://blog.westjet.com/statement-on-operations-and-network-from-ed-sims/

WestJet statement on operations and network from Ed Sims, President and CEO
By Edward Sims | March 16, 2020

Today, Prime Minister Trudeau made an explicit declaration to all Canadians abroad that it is time to come home. Based on this statement and the recommendations to Canadians to control the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19, we have made impactful decisions related to our operations.
On Sunday, March 22 at 11:59 p.m. MDT, we will suspend scheduled commercial operations for all international and transborder flights for a 30 day period. To be clear, this means our final commercially scheduled flights from international and transborder destinations will launch on Sunday night by 11:59 p.m. local time; after that, we will be operating rescue and repatriation flights with our partners. As of tonight, international and transborder tickets are no longer available for sale during this 30 day period.

On Wednesday, March 18 at 11:59 p.m. MDT, WestJet will suspend all outbound international ticket sales for travel until Sunday, March 22 at 11:59 p.m. MDT, so we are no longer sending Canadians out of the country and can instead focus on bringing them home.

To assist Canadians in returning home on short notice, we are in the process of lowering prices on our remaining seats into Canada in all cabins.

In addition, we will also reduce our domestic schedule by approximately 50 per cent. At this point, all network changes are in place for the next 30 days.

WestJetters are known for our level of care and this situation is no different. While this is a difficult time, we now have the responsibility as a Canadian airline to bring our citizens home.

-Statement from Ed Sims, WestJet President and Chief Executive Officer

For more details, and to understand how this may impact you, visit Options for WestJet guests.

I have dear friends who left for Florida on Sunday. Talked to them yesterday and they are having a great time and that we should not worry. Thankfully they are staying in a condo and mostly just moving between the condo, pool, and beach. Hoping they won't have difficulties getting home safely in a week's time and then they have two weeks quarantine after that.

I have dear friends who left for Florida on Sunday. Talked to them yesterday and they are having a great time and that we should not worry. Thankfully they are staying in a condo and mostly just moving between the condo, pool, and beach. Hoping they won't have difficulties getting home safely in a week's time and then they have two weeks quarantine after that.

Do they realize they can only fly into 4 airports now?

I have friends (with 2 kids) in Orlando right now. They left on March 10 and not leaving until Friday. I also hope they know they will now have to rent a car and drive from either Toronto or Montreal.

We've been having that discussion around here since 2001. DH works in high tech. He was laid off back then, since then there has been cyclical layoffs in his industry. I've assured the boys over the years that because we have lived with this constant threat we have always been prepared to weather the storm. I let them know we have an emergency fund that will cover our expenses for X period of time. Nothing major will change in the way they live their lives.

Be honest with them. This is a great opportunity to teach a little household finance and the necessity of an emergency fund etc (assuming your child is old enough to understand).

With the fluctuations in the stock market the last few weeks I've been discussing with my DS who is at home the ups and downs I have experienced and how we need to react to it (or not). I hope, he will learn through my experience when he invests his money in the years to come.

Bottom line, we can model positive reactions to everything that is going on around us today. We can also let them know that we are upset/anxious/mad/ concerned and let them know that is also a normal reaction. Our kids watch us more closely than we are always willing to acknowledge. We and they will grow stronger as a result.
This is such wise and important advice!! Just about a year ago we moved into a new home and adjusted our budget in major ways. Because I work for myself and my income isn't always guaranteed we decided that we would look for a home that we could afford on one income. Then we made some other major adjustments to the way we lived and spent.
Now that the shock is wearing off I am so so so grateful that we can weather this on one income for as long as it takes. And I will be stressing the importance of this to my teen/young adult children!

This is such wise and important advice!! Just about a year ago we moved into a new home and adjusted our budget in major ways. Because I work for myself and my income isn't always guaranteed we decided that we would look for a home that we could afford on one income. Then we made some other major adjustments to the way we lived and spent.
Now that the shock is wearing off I am so so so grateful that we can weather this on one income for as long as it takes. And I will be stressing the importance of this to my teen/young adult children!
Yes to this! Years ago I read a book called “The Two Income Trap.” It always stuck with me. And I too speak to my kids about living smaller than you need to.

Not really sure where to post this as it isn't travel related and I don't want to start a separate thread.

DH is a Bell Canada technician, meaning going in and out of people's homes all day. He goes back to work Monday. I'm thinking DD and I should eliminate contact with others as we wouldn't want to spread anything.

What would you do?

Not really sure where to post this as it isn't travel related and I don't want to start a separate thread.

DH is a Bell Canada technician, meaning going in and out of people's homes all day. He goes back to work Monday. I'm thinking DD and I should eliminate contact with others as we wouldn't want to spread anything.

What would you do?
I’ve seen a couple families in our circle with a similar situation & yes, that’s what they did. One even split the family up. Husband stayed in the home for now, family moved in with grandparents temporarily. Needs must.

I was just on the Halifax Airport website looking at all of the arrivals/departures for the US and Sun destinations. I wonder how full the planes are?

What would you do?
Is your DH's company making any recommendations? I would be worried about him getting it from a client more than I would worry about him spreading what he might get from you, since you are already quarantined like the rest of us. What is Bell doing for him?

Is your DH's company making any recommendations? I would be worried about him getting it from a client more than I would worry about him spreading what he might get from you, since you are already quarantined like the rest of us. What is Bell doing for him?

Yes, that is what I meant, him getting it from clients, not us.

I believe they have a set of questions they have to ask them before they go in to the house and they have to have 1m distance from the customer LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter