Travel Changes?

I finally broke down and called Nat Geo yesterday, even though our Alaska trip isn’t until June 3.

They handle things differently from ABD - all communication about a trip comes from the “Expedition Manager”. I had not heard a single word from mine after receiving the PIF reminder last week, but that doesn’t really bother me because our trip isn’t until June. I’m sure they are plenty busy trying to deal with current travelers as well as people scheduled on trips for the rest of March and April.

They also don’t have anything on their website, but again, that doesn’t bother me, as I’d much rather communicate with a human.

Anyway, the rep that I spoke with confirmed that if Nat Geo cancels, I will get a refund (or the option to reschedule, but I don’t think we will be able to). I‘m confident that if things are still like this within a couple of weeks of our departure date, they will cancel. Hopefully, things will improve and we can still go (although, I’m not holding my breath).

I did ask if they have had blanket cancellations of trips up to a certain date. She wasn’t 100% sure, but she thought all March trips had been cancelled, but that April trips were being handled on a case-by-case basis, depending on the destination.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me, though admittedly, I do not know what they are telling people with trips in April.

Personally, I’m ok with the “wait and see” approach, given how much time we still have until our trip. Our flights are already booked, and the airlines aren’t addressing flights that far out, yet, either.

I am glad I booked this trip with a tour provider rather than piecing something together on my own. At least this way, I only have to deal with Nat Geo, the airlines (although, we have flights booked on three different ones), and Airbnb.

Thankfully, I have a self-imposed policy of only booking Airbnbs with hosts who have flexible cancellation policies, so I should be in pretty good shape there, too.

I am shocked and appalled at how ABD handled the England/France and Australia trips this week. Waiting so long to cancel that it’s inevitable guests are already en route or have arrived at the destination is simply inexcusable. ABD owes those guests MORE than just a full refund, IMO.

Wow. I really can't believe how poorly ABD handled things. I hope everyone gets back safely from Australia. Refunding out of pocket costs seems like the minimum they can do here.

Along with many others, I have serious reservations about traveling with ABD again after this. I really hope ABD is reading these boards and realizes the damage they have done to their brand.

I am shocked and appalled at how ABD handled the England/France and Australia trips this week. Waiting so long to cancel that it’s inevitable guests are already en route or have arrived at the destination is simply inexcusable. ABD owes those guests MORE than just a full refund, IMO.
I so agree with this. I cannot *believe* that they have left this family in Australia on their own to get back from a tour that ABD insisted was happening, and then that *THEY* cancelled on the first day of the tour!! It is totally unconscionable that they are not arranging flights home for these families! Gee whiz, they're letting them stay in the hotel rooms for a couple of nights until they make their own arrangements. How generous! ABD probably can't get refunds for those hotel rooms at this point anyways! I'm truly, truly appalled. As if it's not bad enough they didn't cancel until the last minute (BEYOND the last minute!) but then to abandon these folks -- I'm livid, and it doesn't even impact me. New flights and reimbursement for their old flights is the MINIMUM ABD owes them!!
Wow. I really can't believe how poorly ABD handled things. I hope everyone gets back safely from Australia. Refunding out of pocket costs seems like the minimum they can do here.

Along with many others, I have serious reservations about traveling with ABD again after this. I really hope ABD is reading these boards and realizes the damage they have done to their brand.
As folks know, I am really gung-ho about ABD, but even I am seriously questioning ever traveling with them again if they are capable of mis-treating their Guests in this way! A trip credit is really not something I'd appreciate at this time, because they are making traveling with ABD look less and less appealing with each day.
We are in Australia for our trip. After refusing to cancel prior to departing and advising us that the trip was going forward, disney cancelled on the first day of the trip. They are providing A refund and allow us to stay in hotel for 2 days to work out flights. Problem is we had booked non refundable hotel and excursions post trip. In addition, we booked flights with cc points so we are not sure we can even get through to get new flights in time. Do you think these are costs we should ask disney to reimburse or provide trip credits. they are refunding cost of trip. We are frustrated because we asked numerous times to cancel because we saw this happening, and they kept refusing until we flew from Florida and landed Sydney. I know the situation was fluid but the fact is this was foreseeable and they couldn’t have handled worse. Just dont know what if any thing is appropriate ask if there is even something to ask for. I am in hour 3 of wait time with cc travel company and extremely frustrated but trying to keep in mind there are lot of people way more impacted than us because of this virus.
I would ask for EVERYTHING that you don't get a refund on! And *ANY* expenses you incur between today & making it home. Phone calls. Meals. Airfare change fees, or costs for booking a new flight with cash. This is totally their responsibility, and they owe you for not handling it better. I cannot FATHOM that they've abandoned you. Are the Adventure Guides still there, or did they manage to get *them* flights out? You may have to wait until you're back home to deal with this, but I would let ABD know you expect them to make it right, because they were definitely in the wrong. Oh, and I really hope you got the cancellation today in writing. Insist on it!

Sayhello

Last edited:
We are in Australia for our trip. After refusing to cancel prior to departing and advising us that the trip was going forward, disney cancelled on the first day of the trip. They are providing A refund and allow us to stay in hotel for 2 days to work out flights. Problem is we had booked non refundable hotel and excursions post trip. In addition, we booked flights with cc points so we are not sure we can even get through to get new flights in time. Do you think these are costs we should ask disney to reimburse or provide trip credits. they are refunding cost of trip. We are frustrated because we asked numerous times to cancel because we saw this happening, and they kept refusing until we flew from Florida and landed Sydney. I know the situation was fluid but the fact is this was foreseeable and they couldn’t have handled worse. Just dont know what if any thing is appropriate ask if there is even something to ask for. I am in hour 3 of wait time with cc travel company and extremely frustrated but trying to keep in mind there are lot of people way more impacted than us because of this virus.

This is truly shocking and puts me permanently off ABD. #1 they should arrange and pay for your flights home. This should not be left up to each family.
#2 any costs you incur over there should be covered because they are a direct result of ABD refusing to cancel your trip, only to cancel it once it started. #3 I would work with you post stay companies separately since you would have had an issue with them even if ABD had cancelled responsibly. Most hotels are being generous with cancellations.

Honestly this is one of the worst handling of luxury travel I have ever heard. This was not a sudden emergency (like a natural disaster/outbreak of war) where they had no way of knowing. This was them placing your family in this position and then abandoning you. This is enough to tank their business, and you should push for repayment of all of your costs.

I so agree with this. I cannot *believe* that they have left this family in Australia on their own to get back from a tour that ABD insisted was happening, and then that *THEY* cancelled on the first day of the tour!! It is totally unconscionable that they are not arranging flights home for these families! Gee whiz, they're letting them stay in the hotel rooms for a couple of nights until they make their own arrangements. How generous! ABD probably can't get refunds for those hotel rooms at this point anyways! I'm truly, truly appalled. As if it's not bad enough they didn't cancel until the last minute (BEYOND the last minute!) but then to abandon these folks -- I'm livid, and it doesn't even impact me. New flights and reimbursement for their old flights is the MINIMUM ABD owes them!!
As folks know, I am really gung-ho about ABD, but even I am seriously questioning ever traveling with them again if they are capable of mis-treating their Guests in this way! A trip credit is really not something I'd appreciate at this time, because they are making traveling with ABD look less and less appealing with each day.
I would ask for EVERYTHING that you don't get a refund on! And *ANY* expenses you incur between today & making it home. Phone calls. Meals. Airfare change fees, or costs for booking a new flight with cash. This is totally their responsibility, and they owe you for not handling it better. I cannot FATHOM that they've abandoned you. Are the Adventure Guides still there, or did they manage to get *them* flights out? You may have to wait until you're back home to deal with this, but I would let ABD know you expect them to make it right, because they were definitely in the wrong. Oh, and I really hope you got the cancellation today in writing. Insist on it!

Sayhello

Sayhello
Honestly this is one of the worst handling of luxury travel I have ever heard. This was not a sudden emergency (like a natural disaster/outbreak of war) where they had no way of knowing. This was them placing your family in this position and then abandoning you. This is enough to tank their business, and you should push for repayment of all of your costs.

Ditto from me--you guys said everything I was thinking. This is appalling. As some of us have been saying for weeks, this was completely foreseeable. The fact that ABD went ahead with these trips with all that is going on is appalling and irresponsible. Whoever made these decisions should be fired--flat out.

@pdsgator I hope you are also blowing them up on Twitter and Facebook with this horrible service. Sadly a public lashing seems the only way to get companies to pay attention. I'd also be composing that letter in my mind to send to them when you get back. The fact that they aren't helping you with flights is unbelievable. I'm crossing my fingers for you that you find a flight ASAP. Hugs to you all.

I travel with ABD despite the premium cost due to TRUST. This trust has been broken with the families stranded in UK/France and Australia. I would have never thought they would leave families to make their own way home.
What about the summer trips I have upcoming? Will they leave me stranded in a 3rd world country with no way home? This is my worst nightmare for my family and now we have proof that they will leave us there and get their guides home only. I would expect this if I went OYO or with an economy tour provider, but not ABD.

@pdsgator hoping you get home safely. please keep us updated.

I am sorely disappointed in ABD. To compare them to delta, I also had a trip planned for San Diego for work. I booked my flight with delta and also booked a flight for my daughter with my SkyMiles points. I was waiting for their 72 hour window to call and cancel to give their customer service reps time to handle all the mass calls they are receiving. Just received an email from delta saying we can now cancel online and the change fee would be waived. This is how a company should behave in times like these.

@pdsgator hoping you get home safely. please keep us updated.

I am sorely disappointed in ABD. To compare them to delta, I also had a trip planned for San Diego for work. I booked my flight with delta and also booked a flight for my daughter with my SkyMiles points. I was waiting for their 72 hour window to call and cancel to give their customer service reps time to handle all the mass calls they are receiving. Just received an email from delta saying we can now cancel online and the change fee would be waived. This is how a company should behave in times like these.
Yes Delta and Tauck are the clear winners of the pandemic!

and 368 more people died today in italy.
That is completely beyond anything i can comprehend.
this is why we have to "flatten the curve".

368 people died today from corona. Just in Italy. Bringing their total who have died from corona to 1,809

and spain is well on their way, with the rest of europe not that far behind.

meanwhile, who at ABD thought it should be business as usual? that person should be fired.
and abandoning a customer on the other side of the world? really? i would never have believed it possible before all this happened...

Last edited:
So I just got off the phone with ABD, they called me, my PIF was March 7 and I had emailed them and asked if I could cancel my tour (July) and use my deposit as a placeholder. The problem arises as it was already a placeholder to begin with as we had to cancel our SA ABD previously.

I had to speak to a supervisor as it wasn't a straightforward move, and he said that at the moment the adventure was still going, and I said yes I realize that but considering that nobody knows when travel restrictions will be lifted I didn't feel like sending them a whole bunch of money right now and could they make an exception due to the unprecedented circumstances that we currently find ourselves in.

They allowed me to move my deposit back to a placeholder.

One less thing to concern myself with. Now back being worried about husband and son living in Spain suddenly on lockdown and my daughter and I in the NW UK waiting to see what happens here and also with her exams which are scheduled for the next 2 weeks.

Yes Delta and Tauck are the clear winners of the pandemic!

Put JetBlue in there too! They retroactively refunded me a $200 cancellation fee even though I cancelled the March flight prior to their easing of change/cancellation fees. They did it through their chat function with no hemming or hawing.

So I just got off the phone with ABD, they called me, my PIF was March 7 and I had emailed them and asked if I could cancel my tour (July) and use my deposit as a placeholder. The problem arises as it was already a placeholder to begin with as we had to cancel our SA ABD previously.

I had to speak to a supervisor as it wasn't a straightforward move, and he said that at the moment the adventure was still going, and I said yes I realize that but considering that nobody knows when travel restrictions will be lifted I didn't feel like sending them a whole bunch of money right now and could they make an exception due to the unprecedented circumstances that we currently find ourselves in.

They allowed me to move my deposit back to a placeholder.

One less thing to concern myself with. Now back being worried about husband and son living in Spain suddenly on lockdown and my daughter and I in the NW UK waiting to see what happens here and also with her exams which are scheduled for the next 2 weeks.

I hope you and your family will be well.

I am hoping ABD does this for us as well. I have a PIF for SoCal/DL coming up in less than a week and a PIF for a Rhine cruise at the end of April. I wish I could just get a refund at this point, but would be happy with placeholders.

While it was clear that we were cancelling our spring break trip weeks ago (as nothing that has happened is surprising to me, been predicting this fallout for months now), but wanted to wait until my hubby caught up with me. It also gave Hilton time to decide to waive the rules on pre-payment, etc. And the call went well (not expecting the same result with our car reservations, but that's an issue for tomorrow).

But of course, now, we have to all hope that this is a shorter time issue (which is questionable) and that these travel entities, from tour companies, to airlines, to hotel chains, will still be around to make good on all of these delayed trips. Again, not something that is a given. (I think that it will be questionable whether the travel insurers will be around long term and if they are, whether "pandemic" or "epidemic" will be covered going forward - I think highly unlikely.)

I also agree that it seemed stupid to continue any trips this last week, but also remember that hindsight is 20/20 and the events of this last week (and the speed at which they occurred) I think took the world by surprise. I mean, people were still getting on cruises last week (and the cruise ship issues have been going on for weeks).

Even on this last Friday, a friend of a friend was still talking of going to France next weekend for spring break. I was like, are you on drugs? Wake up and realize what is going on here.

And, with respect to the issues of getting people home to the US - again, the President's move on Friday was nothing that people would have predicted much earlier than it occurred. This is crisis management on a scale that almost no one is prepared for.

I hope everyone is healthy and gearing up for a long haul at home.

While it was clear that we were cancelling our spring break trip weeks ago (as nothing that has happened is surprising to me, been predicting this fallout for months now), but wanted to wait until my hubby caught up with me. It also gave Hilton time to decide to waive the rules on pre-payment, etc. And the call went well (not expecting the same result with our car reservations, but that's an issue for tomorrow).

But of course, now, we have to all hope that this is a shorter time issue (which is questionable) and that these travel entities, from tour companies, to airlines, to hotel chains, will still be around to make good on all of these delayed trips. Again, not something that is a given. (I think that it will be questionable whether the travel insurers will be around long term and if they are, whether "pandemic" or "epidemic" will be covered going forward - I think highly unlikely.)

I also agree that it seemed stupid to continue any trips this last week, but also remember that hindsight is 20/20 and the events of this last week (and the speed at which they occurred) I think took the world by surprise. I mean, people were still getting on cruises last week (and the cruise ship issues have been going on for weeks).

Even on this last Friday, a friend of a friend was still talking of going to France next weekend for spring break. I was like, are you on drugs? Wake up and realize what is going on here.

And, with respect to the issues of getting people home to the US - again, the President's move on Friday was nothing that people would have predicted much earlier than it occurred. This is crisis management on a scale that almost no one is prepared for.

I agree with you and with the hindsight, fluidity, unprecedented aspect of the situation.

But ABD did not give families the flexibility to cancel without significant financial loss. We are talking a lot of money for these trips. Not just a few thousand, but several thousands. Families are stranded without flight assistance. Other companies have been very flexible with cancellations way before all the government announcements.

(I think that it will be questionable whether the travel insurers will be around long term and if they are, whether "pandemic" or "epidemic" will be covered going forward - I think highly unlikely.)
Epidemics/pandemics are already *not* covered by virtually all travel insurance, unless you purchase their expensive "Cancel for any Reason" riders. Insurance companies are not stupid, that's for sure!
It did *not* take a lot of us by surprise. Those of us who have been posting here, and keeping up with the Johns Hopkins site, etc, totally saw it coming, and have been trying to get ABD and airlines to come around for a almost 3 weeks.
I have friends that went to WDW and Disneyland this week before the shut down. Everybody has their own idea of what constitutes a good or bad idea in these situations.

I agree, the travel bans make this all more complicated, but that is one more reason that ABD should NOT have abandoned folks in Australia, and should be working doubly hard to get them back home.
I hope so, too. This is not going away any time soon.

Sayhello

Epidemics/pandemics are already *not* covered by virtually all travel insurance, unless you purchase their expensive "Cancel for any Reason" riders. Insurance companies are not stupid, that's for sure!
It did *not* take a lot of us by surprise. Those of us who have been posting here, and keeping up with the Johns Hopkins site, etc, totally saw it coming, and have been trying to get ABD and airlines to come around for a almost 3 weeks.
I have friends that went to WDW and Disneyland this week before the shut down. Everybody has their own idea of what constitutes a good or bad idea in these situations.

I agree, the travel bans make this all more complicated, but that is one more reason that ABD should NOT have abandoned folks in Australia, and should be working doubly hard to get them back home.
I hope so, too. This is not going away any time soon.

Sayhello
Ditto again, SayHello. This is getting to be a habit :)

Ditto again, SayHello. This is getting to be a habit :)

As is my liking everything you guys are posting! I have not had the ABD rose-colored glasses on for a while now, but even I am beyond flabbergasted at the abominable way ABD has handled just about everything since this crisis began brewing. Leaving folks stranded to make their own arrangements home after insisting trips would go forward and then cancelling the day before or the day of the scheduled departure is beyond unconscionable! Shame on ABD!!! Kind of wishing we didn’t have the 2021 Rhine River Cruise already booked, but that is absolutely the last ABD we will ever be taking. They have completely destroyed any remaining goodwill.

Amen, Sayhello! ABD is clearly not paying attention. Or using money to guide there decisions. It's going to be far more costly in the long run, this incompetence.

But lots of stupid decisions are being made. My school, for example, is transferring to online starting Wed. They want all faculty to hold office hours by remote means (Zoom). However, they also want these remote office hours to be held on campus! So students can come down if they want. What the what?

There's gonna be some lawsuits after this is all over...

Last edited:
As is my liking everything you guys are posting! I have not had the ABD rose-colored glasses on for a while now, but even I am beyond flabbergasted at the abominable way ABD has handled just about everything since this crisis began brewing. Leaving folks stranded to make their own arrangements home after insisting trips would go forward and then cancelling the day before or the day of the scheduled departure is beyond unconscionable! Shame on ABD!!! Kind of wishing we didn’t have the 2021 Rhine River Cruise already booked, but that is absolutely the last ABD we will ever be taking. They have completely destroyed any remaining goodwill.

I'm soooooo glad I have no ABD booked right now. I have a feeling there will no vacay for me this year at all.

We are in Australia for our trip. After refusing to cancel prior to departing and advising us that the trip was going forward, disney cancelled on the first day of the trip.

Did ABD state the reason why they cancelled Australia? The coronavirus numbers don't seem as bad in Australia compared to many other places, including the US. The only thing I can think of is that New Zealand recently imposed a 2 week quarantine on anybody entering that country.

If ABD won't travel to Australia, I would think that means they have to cancel all non-domestic trips, well in advance of the actual trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter