Travel Changes?

Just heard back from Kevin. Evidently, when you book insurance along with your deposit, that locks in the date. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help!

so i guess i'm screwed then since i did take their (very expensive) insurance.
Stupid me yet again.
Should never have booked the ABD to begin with. And now the insurance is adding insult to injury.
the more i read about ABD on these threads, the more they seem like scam artists.
Note to me, read and believe the fine print. And consider all the possibilities, even something as unexpected as coronavirus and that ABD won't give a flying you know what about the extenuating circumstances.
I have to say, my annoyance is spilling over on my feelings towards disney in general. Perhaps i should change my handle.

Alongside the August 2020 cancellations, Sept 2020 trips can now move to a new date with no penalty. We've taken advantage of that (and not a moment to lose, as PIF was today) and move our trip to Feb 2022.

Alongside the August 2020 cancellations, Sept 2020 trips can now move to a new date with no penalty. We've taken advantage of that (and not a moment to lose, as PIF was today) and move our trip to Feb 2022.
according to others who've posted, if you bought ABD insurance, you can't move your trip.
Did you have ABD insurance?

according to others who've posted, if you bought ABD insurance, you can't move your trip.
Did you have ABD insurance?

This is somewhat complicated. The direct answer is "yes", but when I first inquired about a date change a couple of months ago, I learned that although we had PAID for the ABD insurance, the rep didn't actually.... apply those funds to the insurance and execute the policy. At the time, this annoyed me because the reason we paid for it early was to qualify for a pre-existing condition waiver (which you can only get by buying the insurance within 14 days of the deposit). Now we don't have that waiver. But it did enable us to change our dates. You're reminding me that I need to call them and find out if the insurance policy has actually been PURCHASED for this new trip or if the money is just moved around...

Still, given what is on their website right now re: the policy update for September trips, they may be allowing it regardless of insurance. "Guests currently booked on adventures through September 30, 2020 can change their reservation and receive a 100% credit to be used toward a future adventure. Guests may select a new travel date and/or an alternate adventure by March 31, 2021 by calling (855) 223-0025 or (407) 566-8345. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply."

Edit to add: We didn't move the date before today because it wasn't just the deposit money we had down. We had also bought airfare through ABD that they wouldn't let us move without losing. With the new policy update from yesterday, we were able to move the airfare money too.

This is somewhat complicated. The direct answer is "yes", but when I first inquired about a date change a couple of months ago, I learned that although we had PAID for the ABD insurance, the rep didn't actually.... apply those funds to the insurance and execute the policy. At the time, this annoyed me because the reason we paid for it early was to qualify for a pre-existing condition waiver (which you can only get by buying the insurance within 14 days of the deposit). Now we don't have that waiver. But it did enable us to change our dates. You're reminding me that I need to call them and find out if the insurance policy has actually been PURCHASED for this new trip or if the money is just moved around...

Still, given what is on their website right now re: the policy update for September trips, they may be allowing it regardless of insurance. "Guests currently booked on adventures through September 30, 2020 can change their reservation and receive a 100% credit to be used toward a future adventure. Guests may select a new travel date and/or an alternate adventure by March 31, 2021 by calling (855) 223-0025 or (407) 566-8345. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply."

our trip is october 25th, so it doesn't fall under this.
I could wait until the PIF and see if they cancel, but i don't know why they would cancel the disneyland trip in october.

our trip is october 25th, so it doesn't fall under this.
I could wait until the PIF and see if they cancel, but i don't know why they would cancel the disneyland trip in october.

Sorry if I'm missing something you already posted about, but have you already requested a date change? It's possible that what happened to me may have also happened to you - maybe they applied the "insurance" payment to the trip in general and didn't actually underwrite a policy at that time?

So PIF is sometime late next month for you, right? It's possible that by then, Oct 2020 trips may be allowed to rebook as well. I suspect another round of cancellations for Sept are incoming.

I called today to cancel my August Trip, did not want to move the money or keep a placeholder as I’d already moved it once plus I’ve already booked two more for 2021 and do not want to book anything else until things settle down a lot more. They are refunding both the adventure costs plus the insurance costs. Rep said refunds are currently taking just over 30 days to be processed.

Sorry if I'm missing something you already posted about, but have you already requested a date change? It's possible that what happened to me may have also happened to you - maybe they applied the "insurance" payment to the trip in general and didn't actually underwrite a policy at that time?

So PIF is sometime late next month for you, right? It's possible that by then, Oct 2020 trips may be allowed to rebook as well. I suspect another round of cancellations for Sept are incoming.

you're probably right that i should wait for PIF to cancel, but i've already canceled every other part of this trip.
So it's just stupid ABD nonsense that would cause me to wait.

Maybe it’s just because this was going to be our first AbD, but no complaints here. In fact, as of this morning, I’ve now gotten full refunds on every aspect of our trip we had planned. 3 week trip to London, Norway (AbD), and France.

I booked our AbD last year when the early booking window opened. Got the early booking discounts for our family of 5. Did not buy insurance. In general, in life, I don’t believe in extended warranties and/or travel insurance. I figure in the one scenario I get hit with a charge, the many times I’ve declined warranties/insurance over the years more than makes up for and funds the cost I’m facing. That’s a whole different topic though.

Paid full amount in February. I started cancelling other parts of the trip in April. Then, when ABD cancelled in May, I called, got a full refund, and on the same call booked the same trip for next year on the same date getting the early booking discount. Plus, this deposit is fully refundable up until March.

I know everyone’s situation is different but zero complaints from me. We faced an unprecedented situation and I got all my money back and was able to book a future trip at significantly less financial risk. Except for wanting them to cancel earlier, no complaints from me.

Only advice, wait it out as long as you can. My last flight leg was still scheduled as of yesterday and was 3 weeks away. I had gotten email after email from the airline asking me to convert to credit. I ignored them. Last night they cancelled that final leg and offered me a refund.

my deposit ($1300) and insurance have been moved to a placeholder that i need to use within two years of the original booking.
So i'm guessing that's about half a year from now, since i booked that trip on opening day.

Only advice, wait it out as long as you can. My last flight leg was still scheduled as of yesterday and was 3 weeks away. I had gotten email after email from the airline asking me to convert to credit. I ignored them. Last night they cancelled that final leg and offered me a refund.
This is where I’m at now - my AbD cancelled yesterday, refund in process. Airline emailed me last week to cancel & get a voucher if my plans had changed. Looking at their website, they’ve cancelled all flights to my destination through the week before my departure date. So, I’ll try to wait it out a couple of weeks to see if they do end up cancelling any of the August flights. Hoping they will cancel but a lot will depend on how much further Europe opens up and to which other countries, and when. So, the waiting game continues....

Going a little off topic, but where in Oregon are you from? We're in Oregon also and we're been so lucky to have such minimal impact from the pandemic, and I feel like people here are being very considerate in public places (wearing masks and respecting social distancing, etc.).

We're in Portland - Multnomah county - so we aren't even in phase 1 yet technically..! :poop: People have been pretty 50/50 on masks and distancing I'd say, unless a place requires it in which case people do seem to follow the rules.

@disneyholic family I agree that it doesnt sound likely they'd cancel the October DL ABD but they blanket cancelled the ones through August now and it sounds like September can move... they may surprise you since DL is opening in July and they're still rolling it in with their other trips.

We're in Portland - Multnomah county - so we aren't even in phase 1 yet technically..! :poop: People have been pretty 50/50 on masks and distancing I'd say, unless a place requires it in which case people do seem to follow the rules.

@disneyholic family I agree that it doesnt sound likely they'd cancel the October DL ABD but they blanket cancelled the ones through August now and it sounds like September can move... they may surprise you since DL is opening in July and they're still rolling it in with their other trips.
i've already moved to a placeholder....so even if they cancel, i've already made the move..
i guess i'm not a very good chicken player..

First time I’ve booked an ABD trip and I’m trying to figure out my options. We were supposed to do the Disneyland escape starting on October 1, but now have no interest in going. The trip was booked in February and additional payments were made, but have not PIF. My understanding is that we can move the deposit and additional money paid to a new trip. However, we would not be eligible for an early booking discount. We’re considering a trip in September 2021 that has an early booking discount of $750 per person. Should we book this new trip and then cancel the existing trip? I know we would lose the deposit, I assume the additional money paid would be refunded? Is it possible to have the deposit/addItional money placed on hold until we decide on another trip, without a discount? Is there anything else to consider? Thanks for any advice.

First time I’ve booked an ABD trip and I’m trying to figure out my options. We were supposed to do the Disneyland escape starting on October 1, but now have no interest in going. The trip was booked in February and additional payments were made, but have not PIF. My understanding is that we can move the deposit and additional money paid to a new trip. However, we would not be eligible for an early booking discount. We’re considering a trip in September 2021 that has an early booking discount of $750 per person. Should we book this new trip and then cancel the existing trip? I know we would lose the deposit, I assume the additional money paid would be refunded? Is it possible to have the deposit/addItional money placed on hold until we decide on another trip, without a discount? Is there anything else to consider? Thanks for any advice.

Two thoughts:
- Regarding booking a new trip, there is absolutely zero risk right now. Deposits are refundable up until the full payment date so book a new trip and don't worry about it...can get your money back at any time. Zero risk.

- Then you have your existing DL trip...I'd wait it out. Yes, it feels like things are starting to open, but there are SO MANY unknowns that may prevent ABD from running your trip. Heck, they still haven't even given a date that the DL hotel is going to open. We could have another fall flare-up. The parks may be open, but an ABD group of 30 may still be a no-no. So many questions. With them just now cancelling all August trips, it's not unreasonable for Sept and Oct to be cancelled as well.

If they do cancel, full refund.
If they don't cancel, I'd assume you could move those funds to your newly booked trip...but you'd want to check on that. I'm just assuming.
If they are a stickler and you can't move the funds, just cancel the new trip and move the funds over. Worst case in the whole thing is that you miss the early booking disocunt.

You’re correct, if you move your booking to 2021 you will retain all money paid but not be eligible for any early booking discounts as you will retain the same reservation number. Until AbD cancels it, you are only permitted one move so if it’s already a moved reservation you can’t move it again under the usual rules. Your reservation would still be under the same policies in effect when the original booking was done, ie no restart of the 14-day (already passed) or current New PIF-day cancel window. So you might need to weigh the EBD loss vs cancel penalties/loss of what you’ve already paid.

info from AbD in my recent cancellation email - this is what you’d get back and your cancel penalty if you cancel on your own or before AbD cancels / offers exceptions due to the virus. So check your confirmation email to see what your Cancel terms are. If these are your terms, you’d already be in the 50% Of package price (not what you’ve paid) cancel penalty window as we are less than 120 days from October 1. If you also bought insurance, either thru AbD or private carrier, you’d need to check their cancel provisions to see what your Cancel options are.

CANCELLATION FEES:
Unless stated otherwise in your Guest Confirmation, the following cancellation policy shall apply:

Days Prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

120 days or more Deposit per Guest
119-90 days 50% of vacation package price per Guest
89-46 days 75% of vacation package price per Guest
45 days or less 100% of vacation package price per Guest

Since these are unprecedented times, I don’t know what exceptions AbD might be willing to consider at this point since your adventure is not yet cancelled. You could give them a call to ask.

While the EBDs are still available for some of the longer trip 2021 departures, many others no longer have it as they’ve all been taken. And not to add to the pressure, while the 2021 trip you’re considering still has an EBD today, it may not tomorrow or by the end of the week as people book trips.

Disney seems to be canceling trips around 45-days in advance from the start of a month - the August cancellations came on June 15 & the July cancels were mid-May. If that pattern follows, it would be around August 15 before the October departures might be considered for cancellations. A lot of time for things to change in the world.

If you wait it out until then, and it is not cancelled, you could still move it and keep all monies paid. But if you book a separate new one to get EBD & then the 2020 one does not cancel, you’d have to cancel the new one & move the original one to not be subject to a 75% Or 100% of package price cancellation penalty...depending on when AbD did the cancellation. You’d need to really be on top of that 45-day window. You could also watch for September cancellations, which would likely come thru in July - if September does not cancel, it is more likely October would not cancel either.

You also have your PIF date coming up - do you pay the rest of the balance due hoping for an AbD cancellation, or do you move the trip to 2021 & forego the EBD but keep your monies paid and have longer to pay on the new trip.

Lots of things to consider and different ways to look at it, and different amounts of money involved with each one.

Good luck with your decision.

You’re correct, if you move your booking to 2021 you will retain all money paid but not be eligible for any early booking discounts as you will retain the same reservation number. Until AbD cancels it, you are only permitted one move so if it’s already a moved reservation you can’t move it again under the usual rules. Your reservation would still be under the same policies in effect when the original booking was done, ie no restart of the 14-day (already passed) or current New PIF-day cancel window. So you might need to weigh the EBD loss vs cancel penalties/loss of what you’ve already paid.

info from AbD in my recent cancellation email - this is what you’d get back and your cancel penalty if you cancel on your own or before AbD cancels / offers exceptions due to the virus. So check your confirmation email to see what your Cancel terms are. If these are your terms, you’d already be in the 50% Of package price (not what you’ve paid) cancel penalty window as we are less than 120 days from October 1. If you also bought insurance, either thru AbD or private carrier, you’d need to check their cancel provisions to see what your Cancel options are.

CANCELLATION FEES:
Unless stated otherwise in your Guest Confirmation, the following cancellation policy shall apply:

Days Prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

120 days or more Deposit per Guest
119-90 days 50% of vacation package price per Guest
89-46 days 75% of vacation package price per Guest
45 days or less 100% of vacation package price per Guest

Since these are unprecedented times, I don’t know what exceptions AbD might be willing to consider at this point since your adventure is not yet cancelled. You could give them a call to ask.

While the EBDs are still available for some of the longer trip 2021 departures, many others no longer have it as they’ve all been taken. And not to add to the pressure, while the 2021 trip you’re considering still has an EBD today, it may not tomorrow or by the end of the week as people book trips.

Disney seems to be canceling trips around 45-days in advance from the start of a month - the August cancellations came on June 15 & the July cancels were mid-May. If that pattern follows, it would be around August 15 before the October departures might be considered for cancellations. A lot of time for things to change in the world.

If you wait it out until then, and it is not cancelled, you could still move it and keep all monies paid. But if you book a separate new one to get EBD & then the 2020 one does not cancel, you’d have to cancel the new one & move the original one to not be subject to a 75% Or 100% of package price cancellation penalty...depending on when AbD did the cancellation. You’d need to really be on top of that 45-day window. You could also watch for September cancellations, which would likely come thru in July - if September does not cancel, it is more likely October would not cancel either.

You also have your PIF date coming up - do you pay the rest of the balance due hoping for an AbD cancellation, or do you move the trip to 2021 & forego the EBD but keep your monies paid and have longer to pay on the new trip.

Lots of things to consider and different ways to look at it, and different amounts of money involved with each one.

Good luck with your decision.

Two thoughts:
- Regarding booking a new trip, there is absolutely zero risk right now. Deposits are refundable up until the full payment date so book a new trip and don't worry about it...can get your money back at any time. Zero risk.

- Then you have your existing DL trip...I'd wait it out. Yes, it feels like things are starting to open, but there are SO MANY unknowns that may prevent ABD from running your trip. Heck, they still haven't even given a date that the DL hotel is going to open. We could have another fall flare-up. The parks may be open, but an ABD group of 30 may still be a no-no. So many questions. With them just now cancelling all August trips, it's not unreasonable for Sept and Oct to be cancelled as well.

If they do cancel, full refund.
If they don't cancel, I'd assume you could move those funds to your newly booked trip...but you'd want to check on that. I'm just assuming.
If they are a stickler and you can't move the funds, just cancel the new trip and move the funds over. Worst case in the whole thing is that you miss the early booking disocunt.

Thanks for the replies. Another option we’re considering is another Disneyland Escape, but they don’t have any trips listed past May 2021. Can we put our existing reservation “on hold” (is there a term to use for this?) until they come out with additional dates and then move the reservation to the new date?

Maybe it’s just because this was going to be our first AbD, but no complaints here. In fact, as of this morning, I’ve now gotten full refunds on every aspect of our trip we had planned. 3 week trip to London, Norway (AbD), and France.

I booked our AbD last year when the early booking window opened. Got the early booking discounts for our family of 5. Did not buy insurance. In general, in life, I don’t believe in extended warranties and/or travel insurance. I figure in the one scenario I get hit with a charge, the many times I’ve declined warranties/insurance over the years more than makes up for and funds the cost I’m facing. That’s a whole different topic though.

Paid full amount in February. I started cancelling other parts of the trip in April. Then, when ABD cancelled in May, I called, got a full refund, and on the same call booked the same trip for next year on the same date getting the early booking discount. Plus, this deposit is fully refundable up until March.

I know everyone’s situation is different but zero complaints from me. We faced an unprecedented situation and I got all my money back and was able to book a future trip at significantly less financial risk. Except for wanting them to cancel earlier, no complaints from me.

Ive had the same experience! So far they’ve been great. It’s nice to call Disney and have a ten minute hold time be a long time.8-)

Last month, we cancelled our first ABD, a September '20 adult only Italy/ Switzerland trip, before PIF and put in placeholder. We just used that deposit to book a next year an adult only So Cal/Disneyland trip for November '21 (half the price) under the same reservation number.
FYI:
-The rebooked trip is 29 months after ORIGINAL booking

-Because it is not considered a new booking, the entire original deposit will NOT be considered refundable under the limited time rule, including the original amount we paid that is over the deposit amount for the new trip

-They gave us the Early Booking Discount as an exception despite the rule that rebooking on a placeholder is not a new booking and ineligible for EBD. Under the extraordinary circumstances and given we are a 'certain age' I told them I was disinclined to rebook at all and would not unless it was an adult only and sometime in late 2021. I explained that if we just cancelled, they could keep the $1000 deposit I had paid them for the original trip or if they gave me the EBD, I would take a chance on rebooking.

Interesting, I have a lot of friends in Portland so I've heard some of that from them as well. We're in Eugene, and Lane County is now in phase 2. I've been doing most of the shopping errand running for my family (I live with my parents, who are in their 70s), and I really feel like it's been 80-90% mask wearing. Our numbers in Lane County are still very low, but I'm glad that hasn't made people complacent about being cautious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter