• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel City Direct (UPDATED!)

crux

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used the new ATA 747 Jumbo service from Manchester to Sanford yet, booked with Travel City Direct?

We're flying with Virgin when we go home in October, but when we go again in September 2003 I was thinking of trying TCD. It is now a non-stop flight and the two upgrade costs (£59 to sit in the bubble and £199 for 50 inch leg room) seem very reasonable.

We are going August 16th with Travel City Direct on their new jumbos. We have paid the upgrade to sunshine first and have been scouring the boards hoping for some info on what it will be like. Travel City only started flying the jumbos from June 1st. Hope somebody writes soon and tells all. Only 8 weeks to go:Pinkbounc

We are travelling in the 'sunshine bubble' departing 11 July, I was hoping for some feed back too, will let you know.

:D Jessie

The TCD flights, with ETA, don't start until the end of June, but I'm hoping to get a look at one of their planes before then....

OK, I got to see the planes yesterday, and the news is (mostly) pretty good. The jumbos European Aviation Ltd have acquired (and chartered to Travel City) are former BA stock that was auctioned off after Sept 11. They are 747-200s (actually, the variant is a 256 for anoraks, a BA specification) and will have been completely refurbished by the time they start duty on Saturday (June 29). They boast extremely smart new paintwork (in EAL colours), but the interiors still look BA-ish. The economy cabin is just as you find on a BA flight of two years ago - no seat-back TVs but a decent 31/32" of knee room, and there will be 16 flight attendants for every flight (all trained up by EAL, who also trained the ATA staff who have worked for Travel City in the past, so a pretty decent standard). The Sunshine Cabin, which is 32 economy seats on their own upstairs, should be quite interesting, as it will have its own dedicated cabin staff, an upgraded menu and a fairly quiet style (they won't accept children in this cabin except for peak periods). The Sunshine First cabin right at the front of the plane has business-class seats that recline to a very generous degree and have acres of knee room, plus individual TV screens that fold out of the seat (with a choice of 7 or 8 films at a time, they think). It holds just 22 people and has been very popular, with all the early flights fully booked for this cabin. Overall, this looks like being one of the best charter options available (provided the service is up to scratch). All meals, drinks and headsets are free of charge, too.

Simon

Hi where do I find them, does anyone have the number or e-mail address.

Cheers

Thanks Simon (bought and read the 2002 guide over the weekend!) - unless there is alot of negative feedback from people using the service before October (when we can book through DVC), I think we'll be booking the Sunshine First Cabin for next September :Pinkbounc

thanks for the information about the jumbos simon,
we are going with them in 3 weeks and have just received a letter 'upgrading' us to the sunshine bubble at no cost to us. we couldn't work out why as we have 2 kids with us and it was supposed to be adults only according to their previous leaflet, but you have answered that question. As to why we were upgradred at no extra cost we still dont know why or if its a mistake.

As you said there are no seat back tv's except for the first class seats. do the economy and sunshine bubble have tv's to watch above with films on during flight.
would be grateful for this info as my kids are moaning that we are not going with virgin.
Thanks

jocall, there will be the standard drop-down screens to show the film(s) in each of the main cabins. Obviously there is no choice of on-screen entertainment, but it should still be pretty up to date.

For more info on Travel City, look up www.travelcity.co.uk or page 298 of Teletext.

has anyone booked for 2003 and tried to book these upgrades if so how much were you quoted i tried today and have been told it is £99 not £59 karen:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter