Travel Tips from TSA

bmartin1206

Mouseketeer
I am an employee for TSA and am open to questions concerning passenger/baggage screening questions while traveling. So rather than try yo hit on everyhting I will await your questions.
www.tsa.gov can answer many questions concerning prohibited items.

I am going to move this to the Transportation Board where you may get more replies

I would like to know if a toaster in your checked luggage will cause a search?

I am leaving on Friday and want to bring frozen food back from my trip. I understand that they do not want you packing food in a suitcase. If that is all that is in the suitcase and it is annouced ad checking can it still be sent through. There will be no dry ice in the package?

Do you know if I can pack pepper spray in my checked baggage?
I'm sure I can't carry it on.
Thanks.

Can you pack meds and vitamins in a pill case with individual sections for each group of pills? Or do we have to take all vitamins and meds in the original bottle? The pill case will take up less room than 12 bottles, etc.

What about film? I have been told conflicting things from different people. I was told that you should pack it deep in your checked luggage so that the X-ray won't ruin it and I have been told to carry it with me in my carry-on because that x-ray is weaker and will not hurt either the used or unused film. So which is it really?

Thanks,

Brian (the TSA employee that started this thread) posted in a thread on another board that film should not be carried in checked luggage unless it is in one of the special protective bags. Apparently the x-rays machines used for the luggage will damage the film.

Yes, I believe it is safe to take film through the x-ray devices they use for carry-on luggage at the security checkpoints. As a matter of fact, I have carried film through (unexposed and exposed) a number of times over the years and have never had a problem.

Film is safe through the carry on x-ray as long as it's less than 800 speed. Also keep in mind that although it's safe, the x-ray has a cumulitive effect. If the same unexposed film goes through the x-ray 5 times regardless of speed it may also be ruined.

Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter