• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on a different “dog” thread and wanted to share why I agree with U 100%!!!!

I planned on starting a new thread explaining what has led to my conclusion of why my family WILL NOT be staying @ dog friendly resorts but my attempt was unsuccessful. I’am assuming bc I’m so new to forum; However, thought it was very important to share my story so here it goes.

Yesterday evening my sweet, innocent 3y/o daughter was attacked by a dog in which we are VERY familiar with and happens to live next door w/ my sweet neighbors. I, as a middle aged woman, have never witnessed a dog attack neither my husband and now that I have, I hope to NEVER experience or put ANY of ur children at risk of experiencing EVER!!!

The scene itself was witnessed by neutral individuals while my daughter and I prepped our front yard for Fall. She was helping me place flowers n the spots a 3 year old would consider “perfect” and enjoying seeing kids get off the bus as they returned from school when all of the sudden a dog comes running out from somewhere (I cannot recall bc it happened so fast) and launches towards her face and bites North to South puncturing her face while narrowly missing her eye. I’am the 1st to admit my children are far from perfect, but regarding this particular incident, the dog is 100% @ fault. We spent the entire night n the hospital. Plastics attended to her face, sutured it up, and we are now on the road to healing and recovery. We feel very blessed her injuries weren’t any worse; however, the the next child may not be so fortunate! The surgeon reiterated how extremely lucky Elle was that she did not lose her eye.

My family LOVES animals! We are pet owners. I was truly up n the air regarding the whole controversy surrounding “pet-friendly” resorts but now, not so much! I will OPPOSE Disney’s plans from this day forward.

Additionally, the dog responsible for her wounds is a medium sized weenie dog that escaped its owner for a only a split second! I’am trying to post 2 photos but no idea what to do and what I’m doing is not working. These children are going to the “happiest place on Earth” and to even think twice about how this could happen to any of them at Disney, a place they fill is perfect, is 1 to many times.

Kindest regards☺️
@lorilclevelandrn So sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is recovering. Please take the time to send an email to WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com and George.Kalogridis@disney.com

Can I just say...I know it's probably too little, too late for an apology but I am sorry for the name calling. Not that it's a good enough excuse but I came back from a family dinner last night and was told a family member died in a horrific work related accident (crushed between 2 work trucks) and all of this seemed so silly in comparison.

Also, I was thinking to myself last night "Why are these people fighting so hard about these resorts?" and I just realized literally 5 minutes ago that this is the DISNEY RESORTS forum. Duh. Of course the resorts are important to you guys. I honestly don't even know how I got here since I only read the camping forum and the trip reports. I didn't realize which forum I was on. LOL So I apologize again.

My condolences to your family in your loss - I'm so sorry.

My bigger concern from a policy and communication point of view is the apparent disconnect between what relatively senior guest relations staff are informing guests about where dogs will be allowed to move within the resort, and what resort staff (and again I'm talking about senior management level here, not just front desk CMs) are being asked to implement. Phone calls to guests in response to emails sent to WDW bosses seem to be reassuring concerned guests that dogs will not be allowed in ANY common areas or general pathways other than between rooms and the pet exercise area. However on the ground there is no such expectation as far as I can tell, and leashed dogs are seemingly going to be allowed in most sections other than food & beverage locations and within fenced pool areas. I make no claims as to which is right, appropriate, or even which one is going to be the eventual Disney policy, but there does need to be some joined-up thinking going on above the individual resort level on this one.

Andre
Indeed! I also feel there is quite a disconnect. I received a call-back and I am taking down some notes so I can bring this up.

Oh yeah definitely. It's smart. Smarter than what Disney is doing with this 7 hours stuff

Yes, if you were bringing your dog to either of them, you'd seem to have more latitude with Disney if you had an issue as it stands now, even if Universal seems better equip to manage things.

I was curious as I'm booked at a trial resort and following the rollout in Disney, and as I am booked at the Royal Pacific in April, so I called Universal's central number and she said that she didn't really know the actual policy but that guests can leave pets unsupervised in their room as long as they are crated and don't disturb other guests. But since she didn't know the actual policy, she gave me the direct number to the on-site concierge at the Royal Pacific. The concierge told me that the form I attached below (linked on the Universal website) is the policy that guest traveling with dogs sign upon check in. She said that guests leaving dogs unsupervised in their rooms is just "one of those things" but that the guest "technically is in violation of the policy", however she said that they respect guests' privacy so security will only enter a guests room and put the dog in "time out" if it is disturbing other guests. The words I quoted were her words, the rest is paraphrased.

So take it with a grain of salt, it may be who you speak to, which at times has been my experience with Disney. In either case, it sounds like Universal has a good track record of keeping pet friendly and non-pet friendly fairly separate, so maybe there are fewer issues? My understanding and I don't know what poster said it, was that the Universal resorts were built with pet friendliness in mind, so maybe they can deal with issues easier if they arise. Like I said above, I agree with @2Kds2K9 that it seems more convenient to come back for breaks in Universal, since more appears to be in walking distance.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/files/Documents/LoewsPetAgreement.pdf

if you read the policy, no where does it specifically talk about the hotel room itself. I would venture to say that that was done to create a grey area. Meaning that if your dog was uncrated, unsupervised and barking, they could ask you to leave the property while pointing to the policy. We have been very fortunate to have dogs that are well behaved while we are out. (Yes, we've sat by the door and listened for them and have asked maids in the hallway if they have heard them barking). We have collapsible crates that are bigger than they need and set them up as far away as possible from the hallway door. We leave a tv on for white noise as well. They like the weather channel or a marathon of Law and Order. Lol! We also request our room to be away for the stairs. In my experience, I've been woken up from more door slams than barking dogs.

Also, we crate our dogs for their safety more than anyone else's. I've heard stories of dogs being let out by a careless maid and getting lost. Even though we put the Do Not Disturb sign out, we've had a maid walk in and leave towels on our bed without our request or permission.

We have traveled quite a bit over the years with our dogs and stayed in many different hotels. From my experience, I can say that the majority of dog owners who travel with their dogs are responsible. For us, Orlando is never the destination. We stop there on our way to our second home or to visit family in Florida.

When we stay at the RPR at Universal, the dog rooms are located on the ground floor in Tower 3. I'd like to state that even though we have a garden view, we are paying the same rate as the person several floors up with a better garden view. The only time our dogs are in the public area is when we check in. Once we are in our room, they only exit through side entrance to the dog run area. When we check out, we take them out through that way as well as its closer to our car. Honestly, we've never heard dogs barking out of control during our stays there. Last time we had no clue that a Great Dane was next door until we saw them leave. I'm sure they had special permission for that size dog; or not. Either way, it was not a nuisance.

Floating Bear, we are staying at RPR in December, but plan on doing two days at WDW parks. Don't know yet if we'll do a split stay, or just stay at RPR and drive back to hotel to let the dog out.

I hope that this discussion settles down and Disney keeps the policy to allow dogs, but in a limited capacity. Designated rooms are not a problem for us traveling dog owners as we are used to that. Even though many hotels allow dogs, they are not overridden with them. Some people prefer to not travel with their dog, and others do. As one who does, I'm always happy to have more vacation options with my dog. There can be a happy medium.

Getting ready to book a 10 night stay at the Yacht Club. Bringing the whole family which includes my wife, three kids, and two canines. That's right pessimists; we are bringing both of our mature, well behaved dogs to enjoy the Disney experience. This is the best accommodation Disney World has ever introduced. I cant wait for this exciting experience and I know our dogs will have a great time. Why is there so much hatred on this thread about mans best friend? I just don't get it. This is going to be such a Magical Vacation!!!

if you read the policy, no where does it specifically talk about the hotel room itself. I would venture to say that that was done to create a grey area. Meaning that if your dog was uncrated, unsupervised and barking, they could ask you to leave the property while pointing to the policy. We have been very fortunate to have dogs that are well behaved while we are out. (Yes, we've sat by the door and listened for them and have asked maids in the hallway if they have heard them barking). We have collapsible crates that are bigger than they need and set them up as far away as possible from the hallway door. We leave a tv on for white noise as well. They like the weather channel or a marathon of Law and Order. Lol! We also request our room to be away for the stairs. In my experience, I've been woken up from more door slams than barking dogs.

Also, we crate our dogs for their safety more than anyone else's. I've heard stories of dogs being let out by a careless maid and getting lost. Even though we put the Do Not Disturb sign out, we've had a maid walk in and leave towels on our bed without our request or permission.

We have traveled quite a bit over the years with our dogs and stayed in many different hotels. From my experience, I can say that the majority of dog owners who travel with their dogs are responsible. For us, Orlando is never the destination. We stop there on our way to our second home or to visit family in Florida.

When we stay at the RPR at Universal, the dog rooms are located on the ground floor in Tower 3. I'd like to state that even though we have a garden view, we are paying the same rate as the person several floors up with a better garden view. The only time our dogs are in the public area is when we check in. Once we are in our room, they only exit through side entrance to the dog run area. When we check out, we take them out through that way as well as its closer to our car. Honestly, we've never heard dogs barking out of control during our stays there. Last time we had no clue that a Great Dane was next door until we saw them leave. I'm sure they had special permission for that size dog; or not. Either way, it was not a nuisance.

Floating Bear, we are staying at RPR in December, but plan on doing two days at WDW parks. Don't know yet if we'll do a split stay, or just stay at RPR and drive back to hotel to let the dog out.

I hope that this discussion settles down and Disney keeps the policy to allow dogs, but in a limited capacity. Designated rooms are not a problem for us traveling dog owners as we are used to that. Even though many hotels allow dogs, they are not overridden with them. Some people prefer to not travel with their dog, and others do. As one who does, I'm always happy to have more vacation options with my dog. There can be a happy medium.
This is a good point you make about crating dogs for their safety. Almost all pet owners I know crate their dogs even at home for the same reason. In this sense, it doesn’t matter what WDW’s policy is b/c most ppl who take their dogs do so b/c they love them & feel they can’t board them for some reason so they usually try to do what is best for their dog.

I just got off the phone with Joy from George’s office. He read my email and was happy to read my positive comments. So happy that they tracked down my phone number and called me. I would recommend that anyone who feels that there should be dog friendly options at WDW email them to let them know! They should be hearing from us too.

I just got off the phone with Joy from George’s office. He read my email and was happy to read my positive comments. So happy that they tracked down my phone number and called me. I would recommend that anyone who feels that there should be dog friendly options at WDW email them to let them know! They should be hearing from us too.

Us too! Purposely didn't put our phone number in an email so I know they looked us up to see if we were who we said. Believe it also shows them how many times we have been and where we have stayed etc.

Getting ready to book a 10 night stay at the Yacht Club. Bringing the whole family which includes my wife, three kids, and two canines. That's right pessimists; we are bringing both of our mature, well behaved dogs to enjoy the Disney experience. This is the best accommodation Disney World has ever introduced. I cant wait for this exciting experience and I know our dogs will have a great time. Why is there so much hatred on this thread about mans best friend? I just don't get it. This is going to be such a Magical Vacation!!!

Wow, five humans and two dogs. Sounds terribly crowded (unless you've booked two rooms).

Also, sorry, but my best friends are all humans.

Us too! Purposely didn't put our phone number in an email so I know they looked us up to see if we were who we said. Believe it also shows them how many times we have been and where we have stayed etc.
True. The CM knew everything about my upcoming stay and previous stay. No phone number left since I requested an email. (written record).

Can I just say...I know it's probably too little, too late for an apology but I am sorry for the name calling. Not that it's a good enough excuse but I came back from a family dinner last night and was told a family member died in a horrific work related accident (crushed between 2 work trucks) and all of this seemed so silly in comparison.

Also, I was thinking to myself last night "Why are these people fighting so hard about these resorts?" and I just realized literally 5 minutes ago that this is the DISNEY RESORTS forum. Duh. Of course the resorts are important to you guys. I honestly don't even know how I got here since I only read the camping forum and the trip reports. I didn't realize which forum I was on. LOL So I apologize again.
Sorry. :(

I truly don't care either way about this (I'd actually lean toward no, your pet doesn't need to come on vacation with you), but some of the what-ifs floated by the anti-dog-in-room crowd are absolutely outlandish.

Packs of dozens of dogs blocking entrances or food courts
Dogs getting loose and attacking kids over chicken nuggets
Dogs getting loose and running into golf cart traffic
Having to share an elevator with a dog (maybe wait for the next one?)

It sounds like people are expecting a Planet of the Apes (Lord of the Fleas?) situation where dogs are rising up and becoming the dominant species at these resorts.

I would watch this movie.

Wow, five humans and two dogs. Sounds terribly crowded (unless you've booked two rooms).

Also, sorry, but my best friends are all humans.
I suppose you probably know this but just chose to make this comment to continue to be snarky. But just in case, “man’s best friend” is meant that as another species dogs are the most useful to humans (cat ppl may disagree ;)) not that ppl are best friends with their dogs. However, whether some ppl like it or not, many ppl have children, family members & other human companions but still also love their dogs & other pets. We as humans have the capacity to achieve all of this.

Yes, if you were bringing your dog to either of them, you'd seem to have more latitude with Disney if you had an issue as it stands now, even if Universal seems better equip to manage things.

I'm not against dogs in hotels necessarily but the 7-hour rule is mind-boggling to me. It just sets up a dynamic that when they call an owner whose dog is being disruptive, it turns into "I paid for my seven hours" I mean one would think that since a major theme park with hotels, right up the street, has had a dog policy for years, they could maybe just copy them? ;)

I'm not against dogs in hotels necessarily but the 7-hour rule is mind-boggling to me. It just sets up a dynamic that when they call an owner whose dog is being disruptive, it turns into "I paid for my seven hours" I mean one would think that since a major theme park with hotels, right up the street, has had a dog policy for years, they could maybe just copy them? ;)
But it’s also clearly outlined that if you’re dog is being disruptive that you are required to attend to it within 30 min. I don’t see how anyone could even think they paid for 7 hours.

But they didn't have a time limit during the hurricane and everyone thought the dogs were great! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter