Tricks and tips

Scott Mateosky

Earning My Ears
Hi there! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get into some of the harder to book restaurants if you miss the boat on the dining deadline. For instance, you are not staying a t a Disney resort and you are unable to book your dining experience well in advance.
Scott

Everyone can book 180 days in advance, regardless of where you stay

cancels happen. Keep checking, especially same day or next day

i also think adrs are going to be much easier to get very soon

I agree with the above. The reservation finder and check day before or day of. You can make 180 day ADRs on a day by day basis when staying offsite, so you’ll be making an adr each day for seven days if your trip is seven days. Whereas if you’re onsite you can make all your ADRs for your whole trip (up to ten days) on one day, 180 days from check in.

There are certain times when you are much more likely to see reservations going back into inventory as people cancel them.

First, around the 60-70 day mark--when people make their fastpass reservations and have to move around their park days depending on what fastpasses they were able to get.

Second, around 30 day mark where resort package reservation final payments are due.

Third, a week before the trip,, when people cancel their room-only reservations before the 5-day deadline, or when they start to second guess their plans as it becomes more real (i.e., whoa, maybe we have wayy too many character meals and it is going to blow our budget).

Finally, the night before, when people cancel their dining reservations to avoid the midnight deadline before incurring $10 per person charges when they change their plans for the following day (maybe because they weren't able to get a ROTR boarding group and need to go back to Hollywood Studios to try again, or maybe someone in their party gets sick and they don't want a big expensive meal).

Hi there! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get into some of the harder to book restaurants if you miss the boat on the dining deadline. For instance, you are not staying a t a Disney resort and you are unable to book your dining experience well in advance.
Nothing sure-fire, but there are all sorts of opportunities that open up in ways you might not expect.

Basically, anytime Disney screws something up in a way that affects your schedule, you have an 'in' to make an 'ask'. It works better for a couple or group of 3 rather than a family but ... who knows.

Without being too slimy about it, it would go like this...
  1. you have a 6:00 reservation somewhere easy. It's less than an hour prior to that and the ride your in line for shuts down (or any event that can disrupt a schedule).
  2. Sure, they'll give you a multi-FP and you'll want to use that for the same ride when it comes back up but hitting the next ride on your list will put you past your reservation.
  3. So you visit Guest Relations. Explain the situation. Tell them you're celebrating ______ and had a few things planned and you're just having a hard making it all work out and could they see if they can push your rez back an hour or maybe... just maybe... switch you over to ... whatever restaurant you really wanted.
  • Your schedule disruption can really be anything. A ride goes down. The line at pick-a-pearl just took huge too long. Karen slammed a stroller into your ankle and you had to spend time at first-aid. Whatever.
  • Having a dining reservation lined up is convenient, and reservations can be moved around to keep them always ahead of you or moved to the next day and canceled.
  • Yes it's a corny bit of theater and it seems terribly dishonest. In reality you can just walk into GR and ask and there's a good chance they will give it a try. But here's a not-very-well-kept-secret... GR staff love rescuing vacations. You show up and just ask them to find you a last minute two-top at Brown Derby, they'll probably try. But if you come in and tell them everything was going so great but now... a little because of WDW dropping a ball and mostly because of your own horrible planning this magical moment seems to be slipping, slipping from your grip... And now that CM gets to be a hero.

My tips would be to hit the lounge if they have one, look a week before you want to go and then again 24 hours before, keep looking the day of

A couple things have worked for me in the past. Try to get to a restaurant right at opening and see if they can seat you ..we've had a party of (4) two different times and got in with a 5 minute wait at BOMA. One other thing is be flexible -you'd be amazed what you can find the day of or day before per the previous advise regarding cancellations. Finally, if you don't have children with you just grab a seat at the bar. You could easily get 2-seats at Homecoming' ...and let me tell you the service is fantastic, the bartenders will take good care of you(done this twice as well). Good luck.

1. Try an off time (lunch at 3pm)
2. Start checking every 1/2 hr for a reservation 24hrs before you want to eat. For example, I want to eat at California Grill on 4/2. On 4/1 I'll check for a reservation whenever I think about it, especially at night. People often cancel the day or night before a reservation.

We been shocked to find how easy it has been to get into a few places that showed no ADR available online, but when we walked up we were seated within in 10 minutes. If all else fails you can always give that a try!

Are you looking on the app or on the full website? I don't know why, but for some reason that made a difference for me. LOTS more open reservations were showing up on the full website. Ordinarily I'd suggest calling too, but definitely don't do that right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter