Trip insurance---"cancel for any reason" ??

NC State Tigger

'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
We just booked last minute VGT sailing on the Dream for the end of October.

Plan to purchase trip insurance, but not sure if we need the option of "cancel for any reason".

Do others purchase this coverage? (I guess some do or it would not be offered--lol)
Why would I want to purchase this option?

Thanks

We do. We have never had to use it. You never know why you will need to cancel. One of us gets sick, a death in the family, hurricane you just never know. We like to be prepared.

We always do. Better be safe than sorry. That being said, make sure you get a travel insurance that will cover your flights and pre/post-cruise stays as well.

Okay, I'm not trying to be a troll here but you would want that coverage so that you could "cancel for any reason" as in any reason that is not otherwise covered, like you changed your mind or life happened.

For anything that isn't covered, basically. Only things they explicitly state are coverable excuses. In our case we got it for years in case my cat got sick - she was immunocompromised and any number of afflictions would keep her from being boarded. She took medicine multiple times a day to keep her healthy and more than once things cropped up at the last minute which had us scrambling to change her care while we were gone. Luckily we never had to cancel but it was nice to know we could if needed stay home. travel insurance generally only covers death and illness of specific members of your immediate family, not everyone and certainly not furry ones.

My cat has since passed but we purchased it again because my Mom is going through some scary health stuff right now. Preexisting might have covered it in the worst case but if it isn't cancer or something equally dire it won't. If she is too sick to travel but the doctor says she is then they won't cover it. Now she can choose what is best for her without having to worry about the financial implications of it.

We're also going to Mexico, and my mother is afraid of her own shadow so that was also a concern of mine... I was worried if she got cold feet but there isn't a real and immediate danger she would want to cancel and wouldn't be able to as well.

We don't get it as we don't want to pay the extra cost and can't really see any reason we would need to cancel which is not covered by general coverage. It's all about your personal risk assessment. We do get insurance right after booking though so we have pre-existing condition coverage.

We only get it on big trips, like for Europe next summer. If you're booking last minute, than you already know that little would keep you from going... however, it is hurricane season. It's up to your risk tolerance and what you can afford.

Do you buy trip insurance when you book the cruise or at PIF?

The good thing about buying the trip insurance when you book the cruise is that preexisting conditions are covered. The con is if you change your mind and cancel, even if the cruise is completely refundable before PIF, you're out the insurance cost. Though I've read that it may be possible to transfer the insurance to another cruise.

If you buy insurance at PIF, there are some insurance companies that will cover preexisting conditions, but it'll probably cost more.

The latest I would buy insurance is at the point I have the first nonrefundable expense - which would usually be when I book the flights.

We don't get it as we don't want to pay the extra cost and can't really see any reason we would need to cancel which is not covered by general coverage. It's all about your personal risk assessment. We do get insurance right after booking though so we have pre-existing condition coverage.

Can I ask what company you use? We normally use World Nomads - coverage amounts are high and it's very reasonable. I have never needed to book insurance with a pre-existing condition so never checked if they covered pre-existing conditions and how much it was. Just checked with AIG/Travel Guard because someone here had mentioned they covered pre-existing conditions. They were more expensive than World Nomads and their max ($) coverage was so much less than World Nomads. And that was before they added on the extra cost for pre-existing conditions.

Last edited:
we have a cruise booked for Dec 2018 out of Galveston. I was looking at Travel Guard. Do not want to get trip insurance yet. Not definite on the cruise yet.

I always buy insurance but not the cancel for any reason because it's expensive. I figure if I have to cancel it will be for a covered reason.

We originally took the DCL insurance offered when we booked, but then reviewed what was covered and the amounts and canceled before the PIF date. After PIF you have no choice but to get it from an outside company. We canceled after we did some independent research and felt we got much better coverage for not much more money. It also included 100% reimbursement for cancellation due to work, which was important for us. We mostly get it for the medical; if an emergency arises and someone needs to be flown out of a foreign country that can cost a great deal of money. Do some research and purchase the coverage that gives you the benefits that suit your needs. And make sure you ensure your entire trip, flights, travel days, hotel stays.

Also, preexisting is covered, there is just a time constraint you need to verify before you decide.

And to address OP... why would you buy; Look at what has occurred over the last week in FL, I think it speaks for itself as to why.

We don't because the policy we get covers illness of party, weather, job loss, jury duty, and death of family members. The cancel for any reason is usually a big upcharge and we feel safe with the coverage that comes with the insurance.

I buy it when the penalty gets to be more then I want to lose. If the deposit is small Ill wait until 45 or 55 days out depending on the cruise. None of us have preexisting conditions that we need covered.

Can I ask what company you use? We normally use World Nomads - coverage amounts are high and it's very reasonable. I have never needed to book insurance with a pre-existing condition so never checked if they covered pre-existing conditions and how much it was. Just checked with AIG/Travel Guard because someone here had mentioned they covered pre-existing conditions. They were more expensive than World Nomads and their max ($) coverage was so much less than World Nomads. And that was before they added on the extra cost for pre-existing conditions.

We've used several companies, I just use whichever gives me the best discount through USAA. I believe most if not all give pre-existing condition coverage for no additional cost if you buy your insurance within the first 21 or 30 days after booking your trip.

CFAR, Cancel for any reason, often does not give money back. Some cruise lines give you a voucher for the value of what you paid, valid for a sailing in the next 1-2 years. Insurance companies may give money back but it is often 75% of the total. So read the policy carefully to understand what you are buying.

We've used several companies, I just use whichever gives me the best discount through USAA. I believe most if not all give pre-existing condition coverage for no additional cost if you buy your insurance within the first 21 or 30 days after booking your trip.

Just checked USAA and they asked for my social security number (and full registration) just to get a quote for travel insurance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter