Trip Notes - costa rica with a 5 year old

pipch

Earning My Ears
We have just returned from a 3 week trip of which the costa rica trip was the first week (hence delay in writing)
I thought I would share a few observations with you as like many people this was the only web site I could find before booking this trip to find information.

Firstly I would say we are ex hotel executives (travelling with our one 5 year old son) so we are fussy and notice the smallest things, that said, conversely we also appreciate attention to detail and we were extremely impressed with this whole trip. It was a magical time for us all.

Notes are as follows:

MINIMUM AGE AND RECCOMMENDED AGE
One of the main reasons for writing that I often see people asking questions about minimum age, so I just thought I would share our expereinces.
Recommended age for this trip is 6, having waited for Cameron to be old enough to do any trip, for the last 2 years. I rang and asked why the age was 6 - cAMERON was 5 only 1 month before the trip - i was told mainly temperatures (humidity) and activities. We live in the caribbean so I did not think that would be a problem and Cameron is not into thrilling rides yet - so I knew he would not miss the zip line. So they accepted the booking.
All the activities were absolutely fine - and he did not struggle with any of them. The whole trip is so well organised and the guides were so patient with him, that every day was just a pleasure.
One point for consideration however is the two hour time difference. This we had not really given much thought too, but now would arrange the trip so we had an extra day before the trip started. The reason for this is the group meal times. For a 5 year old child who normally goes to bed at 7pm, is expected to wait 8.30pm or 9pm (in his time zone) before the meal even starts was just too much. Day one and two were wipe outs for him and was asleep at the table before the meal even started. By day three he was sorted but had we given ourselves an extra day before hand we feel it would have been better.
Disney went to extreme measures to make sure kids meals were provided and there were always snacks and drinks on the bus so they never went hungry.

ACCOMMODATIONS
1st night is just a standard room but the rest of the hotels were fabulous. The views, the suites and the facilities were all breath taking. The areanas del mar had installed portable a/c units as they had been waiting for the parts for the main unit for some weeks (living in the caribbean I can sympathise) which was more than adequate although some rooms did not have hot water all of the time. Apart from that it was truly fabulous. I don't want to give away too much because it just spoils the anticipation. Just staying at the foot of a volcano in a luxurious suite and watching it erupt at 3am in the morning through from the balcony was something very special that we will always remember. The level of service at all hotels we found exempulary.

FOOD
Two resort locations food was fantastic. First nights dinner at Arenal was the only disappointing meal as they tried to serve it family style and it just does not work when a main couse has 8 parts to it, they would have been much better doing a buffet and us all getting hot food.

Arenas del mar restaurant food was even better. One night is dinner on your own and some people went into town, while the rest tried the restaurant.... I had the best grilled Calamari with a mustard sauce I have ever had and I am a real "foodie". All those who went into town wished they had stayed put for the meal - it was also very reasonable.
One word of caution however their breakfast service is not buffet so you do need to allow a little more time in the mornings.

CLIMATE

One surprise - until we moved to the coast the evening and first thing in the morning temperatures at Arenal were quite cool. Remember we live in the caribbean, so it is relative, but we had gone expecting high temperatures so were not adequately prepared.

CLOTHES
The whole trip is extremely casual - do pack 3 swim suits of you have as there are some very close water activities and its nice not to have to get into and carry wet swim suits! You MUST take a waterproof coat it is the rain forest and it does rain, although it doesn't stop any of the activities, its nice to be dry.

TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND PLANNING -
Disney meets your every need - there is bug spray, sun cream all ready to hand.
The ONLY time they did not have adequate arrangements was on walk to the beach through the Manuel Antonio Park - the hike was great and very enjoyable and beach time greatly appreciated but the whole thing was about 4 hours and there was no drinks or food concession on the beach, which with young children particularly if they spend 2 hours playing in the water, they need something to eat apart from a bottle of water, particularly when they then have to walk back. Don't get me wrong it did not spoil the day but it was the only time I wish I had not relied on Disney (you get very used to doing that over the week) and had taken a snack for cameron.

All the activities were worth while, I was toying with staying behind one day to give Cameron a bit of down time before we started but once away there was no way he wanted to miss anything!

Our fellow travellers were a delight and we all jelled quickly but quietly. There were several single travellers with their children and a number of families with children of different age groups - there was no squabbling over what activity was to be done. Cameron was the youngest by almost 3 years but everyone looked out for him and we all looked out for each other.

Our tour guides Michael and Bernal were treasures and a credit to disney. It was Micheals 4th trip in 4 weeks but you would never have known it, he was a star and a real asset to us all.

COST
At first it seemed expensive, but having now completed it and having gone a weeks cruise immediately after where we had to pay for all the extras and excusions etc it really does seem excellent value.
I know the prices have gone up for next year but it is still worth it.

There are lots of extra touches that Disney has added which make the trip special which I won't give away and spoil the fun but suffice it to say we had the trip of a lifetime and just now wish to repeat it next year.

We were very lucky we shared it with some special people (chris and Tori who I met on this web site before hand) and the others, who if you are reading I would just like to thank you for your company and say that it was a pleasure and that it was no doubt the first of many such adventures for us all.
The best reccommendation for any company is that we ALL said without doubt we would travel with disney again.
Any question please let me know

thanks for the post...my trip is in sept...so im counting down the days!

Thanks for the fantastic trip report! My son is 5 and I'm trying to decide whether to try for one next year - your report was a big help. :)

Thanks Chris
Cameron too could have done with Torie on the cruise, she was great company for him.
We booked yesterday for Wyoming in July 2009. Having read this board and seen some of the early discounts had gone and wanted to get the extra $100 each loyalty discount, I thought best....much to Mikes horror back less than a week and next year is booked!!

Take care

Pip

Mountainjourno
You are welcome. I really cannot recommend it enough. Everything was outstanding.

Enjoy if you do.

Pip

Thanks for the fantastic trip report! My son is 5 and I'm trying to decide whether to try for one next year - your report was a big help. :)

DS (8) and I just returned from this trip, as well. It was amazing! Like Pip, I also highly recommend it.

Pipch - we just got back from Costa Rica yesterday. I agree - it's a fabulous tour. I'm, having withdrawl already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter