*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Dad just bought a new big blue 2500 Silverado single wheel gas. That my son wants to name it Optimus and paint red flames on it. Lol
He got it because sale was ending and it’s so hard to find them around here. Dang 150s make up most the inventory. It’s his birthday today so he got a truck. Large Navi screen , towing package. I aHe picks it up tonight. My mom said this morning the bed is sprayed and mom mentioned to me that it’s even all set for a fifth wheel hitch. She wouldn’t mind a fifth wheel under 36 feet but it would have to be used as too expensive with the truck.

Thanks guys , I’ll be posting about some used trailers mom and I found and she wanted me to ask for your input.

Not so fast!!! Air bags will NOT increase the payload capacity of the truck. They help level it and thus improve handling. Going to a 350 is by far a better and safer alternative if you're close to or may exceed the max pin weight or GVWR of the truck. IOW's, airbags are not a valid choice if wanting to tow more than the 250 is rated for.

I have this opinion as well and have posted in many debates over the 250 / 2500 vs 350 / 3500 chassis. If you have to add airbags, you are overloaded. They do not change the GVRW. The frame and springs are what they are. The only thing air bags do is keep your overloaded 250 / 2500 from squatting when loaded.

I have this opinion as well and have posted in many debates over the 250 / 2500 vs 350 / 3500 chassis. If you have to add airbags, you are overloaded. They do not change the GVRW. The frame and springs are what they are. The only thing air bags do is keep your overloaded 250 / 2500 from squatting when loaded.

I'll give you props on at least reporting it's an opinion. That already puts you above most who debate on this in my book.

It is true, it is a long standing debate and can vary depending on the package of the vehicle. Airbags do help to stabilize and level things out, which makes it more safe. Not just for F-250 or 2500s however, they can be used on all of the trucks. In fact, most people I know who drive F-350s also have airbags to help level them out as well, so its not just about "overloaded 250 / 2500", they all could probably use it to be honest.

We could throw adjustable wrenches, impacts, sockets, and used motor oil at each other all day and it'll be no different than other towing threads. If we take anything from this it should be:

1. Just don't exceed what the manufacturer sticker states is your maximum payload
2. Honda trucks still can't compete

and most obvious:

3. @SouthAlabama5er just took all our man-cards and shredded them.

Sorry the whole Class 8 with a 5er on the back just doesn't look right. It really doesn't. Especially Randy's LOL The dude's got 6 axles and just 2 short of an 18 wheeler.

Ours will tighten up, with a pin box modification and when we remove an axle.
The biggest thing with a class 8, if my trailer brakes fail for any reason, the truck will stop the whole unit with no problem. And yes on the return trip from the Gulf, I saw a 3500 with Toy Hauler that when he made a panic stop, well he did hit the other car, the toy hauler crushed his pickup bed. Wish I could have gotten pictures, but they were on the other side of the interstate.
But that is the beauty of this country, each has his own likes, dislikes, and at the end of the day, we all still love Disney.

Chris,

Are you still considering the zero reach pin box if you shorten the frame? I think the combo would look great with the nose of the trailer sitting on top of the axles.

j

Chris,

Are you still considering the zero reach pin box if you shorten the frame? I think the combo would look great with the nose of the trailer sitting on top of the axles.

j

J,

Yes I am looking at the zero reach pin box. Found one that should fit, the other benefit is it will increase my pin weight some. We are looking at the zero reach even before, just to shorten us up a hair.

In my case, I use the truck only for towing the camper, the hitch is a custom mount with an air ride hitch. And even non commercial trucks need to stop at the weigh stations. Weigh Stations, may state, all trucks, or vehicles over a certain weight. I was weighed in VA on my first trip, no way I will be over, I think the guys in the weigh house just wanted a better look.
And the cab air ride is good, and the view, well, it just can not be beat.

Wow Chris! That's a heck of an upgrade. I am happy with my 2012 350 DRW. Tows like a dream but it misses Fort Wilderness. I been to Disney twice since my last Fort trip, but they where resort stays.

Wow Chris! That's a heck of an upgrade. I am happy with my 2012 350 DRW. Tows like a dream but it misses Fort Wilderness. I been to Disney twice since my last Fort trip, but they where resort stays.

Thank you, and well resort stays can be good also. Hope all is well with the family. We hit Burnt Cabins last year, since it is only 45 min from home, and we like to camp down in MD.

Working up something soon. Might be clowns go, or Gettysburg. Possibly Williamsburg. Right now Melissa nd the girls re on a w week rod trip to Maine stopping in nyc the Boston nd on to an are way north where a teacher friend retired to they are having a blast. Though wish I was there.

Working up something soon. Might be clowns go, or Gettysburg. Possibly Williamsburg. Right now Melissa nd the girls re on a w week rod trip to Maine stopping in nyc the Boston nd on to an are way north where a teacher friend retired to they are having a blast. Though wish I was there.

Well, if you decide to head up Gettysburg way let us know, we could do a camping weekend down that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts