Trying to preorder our magicbands but it only shows Magicband+ as options... Are the original magicbands discontinued?

atlbraves49

Earning My Ears
We have an upcoming Fall 2024 trip, and I started looking at magicband options. They're all Magicband+. None of the old/regular magicbands (magicband 2) show up as purchasing options. Is it possible they're just temporarily out of stock, or are they forcing everyone to the more expensive magicband+'s?

I think if you search, there are several threads out here on this topic. Older MBs are very difficult to find - everything is leaning towards the MB+ with Disney. I don't think you're seeing temporarily out of stock.....

I think if you search, there are several threads out here on this topic. Older MBs are very difficult to find - everything is leaning towards the MB+ with Disney. I don't think you're seeing temporarily out of stock.....

Thanks, I did search but couldn't find anything recent with a specific answer.

I assume the resorts/shops still have them? We really don't want the +'s...

There are 4 of the regular MB's on the site, they are the last ones listed. The designs are Liberty Square, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, and Adventureland. They are $24.99 pre-arrival, the same price as the plain MB+. They have been on the site forever, every once in a great while a regular one will pop up, it's usually gone by the next day. From my experience, it is almost impossible to find the regular MB's at Disney now, someone else may have been more successful.

Last edited:

Yeah we just want plain old colored ones.. I guess we'll check daily. Any idea what time of day they "restock"?

Can you still get cards at the front desk? Last year my DH found them so much easier than twisting wrist at tap points.

I can understand not wanting the MB+ if you already have a plain old MB - that's what I use - its from 2016 so the battery is long dead but its good for most things.

Just be aware there are disadvantages - for example with G+ you get ride photos pretty much automatically and for "free".
Yes you can use a phone, but I did not have great results with that.

If you are buying one anyway Id recommend just getting the MB+, I regret not doing it as there are some photos that were not tracked down.

I can understand not wanting the MB+ if you already have a plain old MB - that's what I use - its from 2016 so the battery is long dead but its good for most things.

Just be aware there are disadvantages - for example with G+ you get ride photos pretty much automatically and for "free".
Yes you can use a phone, but I did not have great results with that.

If you are buying one anyway Id recommend just getting the MB+, I regret not doing it as there are some photos that were not tracked down.

If you turn Bluetooth on your phone you will be able to get the photos you are eligible to receive with the purchase of G+. There is no guarantee missing photos would have been located with the purchase if a MB+. That’s a lot of money for something some people don’t really want.

I had great success earlier this week locating a missing photo for friends by filling in the missing photo request on the app. Within hours Disney was able to locate the missing photo and add it to their account.

If you turn Bluetooth on your phone you will be able to get the photos you are eligible to receive with the purchase of G+. There is no guarantee missing photos would have been located with the purchase if a MB+. That’s a lot of money for something some people don’t really want.

I had great success earlier this week locating a missing photo for friends by filling in the missing photo request on the app. Within hours Disney was able to locate the missing photo and add it to their account.
Yeah - I did all of the stuff they request with my phone - giving all the permission they asked even though I did not want to. Still it was very hit or miss.

I agree on the cost, but after paying for G+ and not getting the photos I have regret for not paying for it.
For a group you really need just the 1 - but if its not much better than a phone then maybe I did not miss out.
Its a bit crazy they don't have a screen to link your photos after Tron and GoG.

Oh I also got lots of photos of other people that were not mine - every time I rode Space Mountain.
I was able to get mine by tapping, but then later I got the new photos popup and they were not my photos.

I did fill out several of the forms and some of the photos were found, but unfortunately not the specific ones I wanted.
I did fill out another request today to find two I would really like to get.

I did Tron 5 times and got 2 photos - only 1 was found automatically.
I did Gog six times - only 1 was found automatically and of course the guy in front is basically taking up the entire photo and has his hand over my face. I did find 2 others that I am in using the form, but not the one I wanted with a friend and I in the front of the vehicle.

Oddly the two where I could provide the exact hour were the ones not found.

One other thing - for Tron and GoG - since its a VQ they know the time already and if they are using facial recognition when I fill out the form I shouldn't even need to put in the time.
When I was upgrading my ticket - the scanned my MB and I could see on their screen it showed every ride for the last few days that I had booked with G+ and VQ - so they have that and should be able to use it

Last edited:
I believe some of the challenges are that the cameras may just not be working so there are no photos to be found. That's the only explanation I can think of when you're able to provide the details you are. That could be an underlying problem that just hasn't been discussed.

I believe some of the challenges are that the cameras may just not be working so there are no photos to be found. That's the only explanation I can think of when you're able to provide the details you are. That could be an underlying problem that just hasn't been discussed.

Or other people in the photo aren’t behaving.

Oooo that's great to know. Our MBs are from 2021, so.. 3 years old now. I'm hoping the long-range battery is still good but not banking on it. We will be getting Memory Maker, so hopefully the phone/bluetooth feature works well enough for ride photos.

Oooo that's great to know. Our MBs are from 2021, so.. 3 years old now. I'm hoping the long-range battery is still good but not banking on it. We will be getting Memory Maker, so hopefully the phone/bluetooth feature works well enough for ride photos.

The one ride I've always had trouble with is Frozen Ever After. I didn't even know you could ask them to look for lost photos, so we never got one on from our first ride.

I've been back a little over a week and when I was at WDW I saw zero MB2s for sale anywhere--and I looked. I still have some and they work and are far more comfortable (to me) than the MB+s.

OP, I would not bank on having MB2s--with the exception of the bands someone upthread mentioned--magically appear for preorder before your trip.

I've been back a little over a week and when I was at WDW I saw zero MB2s for sale anywhere--and I looked. I still have some and they work and are far more comfortable (to me) than the MB+s.

OP, I would not bank on having MB2s--with the exception of the bands someone upthread mentioned--magically appear for preorder before your trip.

Thank you for that insight! In your experience do you think a 3 year old MB2 will still work (long-range)? Obviously no guarantees, but is there at least a chance?

Shame there's not a way to break them open and replace battery without irreparably damaging them... (or is there...?)

Thank you for that insight! In your experience do you think a 3 year old MB2 will still work (long-range)? Obviously no guarantees, but is there at least a chance?

Shame there's not a way to break them open and replace battery without irreparably damaging them... (or is there...?)
I use older MB2s and they have worked. You just have to make sure they're linked to your account.

I'm not sure if they'd work for ride photos (I never check) but they certainly work for room and park entry and charging to your room. At least that has been my experience.

I can't answer your battery question, but I don't think they're replaceable.

Or other people in the photo aren’t behaving.
Yeah - the two photos I want - one was three cast members in the car so I think they were behaving.
I did not know them they just happened to be cast members on the last day they could use the parks before teh spring break blackouts.

The other - its possible that was an issue - not because she did anything but because of her top being low cut and the angles of the Tron ride.

It does not look like it to me.

Here is a tear down of a MB = not sure you would get it to work after replacing the battery

I could not find similar for the MB2 - I did find a comment and photo - I wont link it as it might be a site we cant link to.
"At least the band part can be reused for mixing with other pucks. But yes, there is no way to get the puck piece open without destroying it. And even with it open now, that battery seems to be glued in somehow. It doesn’t come off."
1711031739553.png

This is the MB+ if anyone is interested

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter