TSA ID Question

scard192

DIS Veteran
when we fly to Orlando this spring my 18 year old grand daughter will not have a drivers license. Is a state issued id (Massachusetts Standard ID) acceptable? Looking for options (other than a passport) so we do not have any problems at the airport.
she has a learner's permit, school ID and birth certificate.

Last edited:
Last edited:

thank you. The MA website says the Standard ID is not valid for federal purposes.
Unless she has a specific reason NOT to get the REAL ID version, I think it's the same documentation so she might as well get the one with the star.

REAL ID requirements are approaching the 20 year anniversary of it being passed without actual requirements. Currently you do not, actually, need ID for domestic flights.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Forgot Your ID?​

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you choose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

So yes, her ID will be fine.

My daughter is 24 and has used her MA ID for several years now. She doesn't have a driver's license either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter