TTC Security Hand Checking Bags or X-ray Machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
I can't tell from what I have been reading. Has the TTC security moved to bag scanning/x-ray machines? Do the other parks still hand check bags? We really enjoyed the x-ray bag machines that they use at Universal. It was just so amazing efficient. Just hoping that the horrible waits due to every pocket, wallet, and eyeglass case being hand checked has gone away. Thanks

I actually had a security person try to open my prescription sunglass case. I quickly grabbed it from him and opened it myself, because it's really springy and the glasses tend to bounce out. The same guy also rifled through my wallet, including the coin pouch.

When we were there last month each park had bag check lines and no bag lines. There are also bag checks at the monorail resorts. Every park had a metal detector and random people were asked to walk through . One of our group was picked maybe 75% of the time. We carried no bags in the parks so avoid those lines. Everyone goes through the metal detector at the international gateway entrance. The only huge lines we saw was the bag checks getting on the monorail at the resorts. They were being VERY detailed and lines were backing up and people being grumpy. Saw this at the Polly and GF. Contemporary was a breeze!

I can't tell you how grateful I am that they are meticulous and thorough. I got nothing to hide, but I don't want someone who does to ruin my family's good day. Inconvenient? More convenient than a bad thing happening! Keep up the good work!

I can't tell you how grateful I am that they are meticulous and thorough. I got nothing to hide, but I don't want someone who does to ruin my family's good day. Inconvenient? More convenient than a bad thing happening! Keep up the good work!

The problem is that when they do the hand checking, they aren't always as thorough. I have had people just open my big bag, with many little pockets, and take a cursory look into the 1 main pocket and not lift anything. I think they can be more thorough, and efficient, with the x-ray machine. Unless they don't even look at the screen, it's hard to get anything metal by the x-ray machines. Now a 3D printed plastic gun, that would slip by an x-ray machine, but it would also slip by the majority of the security people who have only taken a cursory look at my bags. We have had multiple visits to WDW, so this isn't a sample based on one visit. This also isn't coming from someone who thinks bad things never happen to people; we knew people, for example my childhood babysitter, who were killed in the Oklahoma City bombing.

The problem is that when they do the hand checking, they aren't always as thorough. I have had people just open my big bag, with many little pockets, and take a cursory look into the 1 main pocket and not lift anything. I think they can be more thorough, and efficient, with the x-ray machine. Unless they don't even look at the screen, it's hard to get anything metal by the x-ray machines. Now a 3D printed plastic gun, that would slip by an x-ray machine, but it would also slip by the majority of the security people who have only taken a cursory look at my bags. We have had multiple visits to WDW, so this isn't a sample based on one visit. This also isn't coming from someone who thinks bad things never happen to people; we knew people, for example my childhood babysitter, who were killed in the Oklahoma City bombing.

You do realize that bullets aren't 3D plastic, right? Those would get picked up by a metal detector and seen on an x-ray machine (as would the shape of a printed gun). You'd also have trouble carrying much ammunition in a bag without being seen. Are they infallible? No, but they will pick up a lot more than they will miss. Don't you think Disney is aware of 3D guns and other ways to attempt to circumvent security?

They're really looking for all kinds of contraband, especially something that could cause mass damage which would take up a lot of room in a bag. There are also things going on security wise that no one is really aware of, such as watching behaviors. There are also more than likely "tourists" walking around the parks that are really security.

You do realize that bullets aren't 3D plastic, right? Those would get picked up by a metal detector and seen on an x-ray machine (as would the shape of a printed gun). You'd also have trouble carrying much ammunition in a bag without being seen. Are they infallible? No, but they will pick up a lot more than they will miss. Don't you think Disney is aware of 3D guns and other ways to attempt to circumvent security?

They're really looking for all kinds of contraband, especially something that could cause mass damage which would take up a lot of room in a bag. There are also things going on security wise that no one is really aware of, such as watching behaviors. There are also more than likely "tourists" walking around the parks that are really security.

I agree. I think bag scanners are a much better way to go than hand screening. I think the screeners are more likely to look at the screen than to dig through a bag properly. Nothing is infallible. If someone really wants to do harm, they will.

Go bagless! It was the absolutely best decision we made this trip. Walked right in every time. Those bag lines were long and slooooow.

Disney security is easily circumvented if you know what and how to hide items. All they catch are those of us that simply forget to remove our pocket knives upon entering the parks. It has happened to me countless times already. I just tell them to keep it and they usually bag it for me and allow me to pick it up when I exit.

Disney security is easily circumvented if you know what and how to hide items. All they catch are those of us that simply forget to remove our pocket knives upon entering the parks. It has happened to me countless times already. I just tell them to keep it and they usually bag it for me and allow me to pick it up when I exit.
Or you can just go around it. I left EPCOT through security, got on the Monorail to TTC switched to the Monorail and went to the MK. Someone who actually wants to cause problems could just park at EPCOT and walk into the MK without going through any security. I was actually amazed that they left a hole that big in their security.

Or you can just go around it. I left EPCOT through security, got on the Monorail to TTC switched to the Monorail and went to the MK. Someone who actually wants to cause problems could just park at EPCOT and walk into the MK without going through any security. I was actually amazed that they left a hole that big in their security.

If you park at Epcot you must pass through security BEFORE you get to the ramp to the monorail.

You are not remembering your route correctly. If you got on the monorail leaving Epcot, you were never outside of the secured area. If you are leaving Epcot, you do walk through the entry scanners into that outside plaza area, but that is not outside of security in that particular area. Similarly, if you park at Epcot and just want to take the monorail (without actually going in Epcot), you have to go through security before getting into that plaza area where the monorail entrance is.

Anyone who takes the monorail from Epcot - whether they actually enter the park or not - is screened.

ETA: I can see why someone might think they do leave the secured area when getting on the monorail given the layout of that front plaza area. The security 'barrier' or perimeter isn't particularly all that obvious in that spot.

Last edited:
You can talk and talk and talk about Disney security but remember a few things -

(1) - what Disney has on any given day is going to be what ALL of us have to literally live with for that day
(2) - if you think it's a pain to go through security you have a couple of choices - deal with it or don't go to Disney World
(3) - the thread may be getting close to being closed with talk about how to circumvent going through security

You can talk and talk and talk about Disney security but remember a few things -

(1) - what Disney has on any given day is going to be what ALL of us have to literally live with for that day
(2) - if you think it's a pain to go through security you have a couple of choices - deal with it or don't go to Disney World
(3) - the thread may be getting close to being closed with talk about how to circumvent going through security

I wouldn't mind if it was closed. My original question got answered and then others chose to take the thread off topic, including yourself.

@yulilin3, @hiroMYhero, or @lovethattink, Please feel free to close this thread. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter