Turning 21 while working the college program

PhillyDisnynut

Mouseketeer
Everyone has been so helpful!! Thanks, here is another one, my son will be turning 21 11 days after his arrival. we have heard he will have to move into ththe wellness bldgs, then when he turns 21 he can move to the non wellness bldgs. Is this true. Also the may be a fee to move from one bldg to another. Any help on this would be great. It would crazy to get all settled then have to move everything. Thanks again for all your help.

I would like to know that too I will be turning 21 on my CP too in April. I really don't care about having alchohol (sp?) in my apt and I can definitely do without but it is something I have been curious about myself.

~Snow White's Proteje princess:

I am on the program right now, and I just turned 21 two weeks ago. No matter what, if you are not 21 when you move in, you will be put in a wellness apartment. When you turn 21, if you want to move to a non-wellness, you have to apply for it. It could take a very long time for them to place you, and you do have to pay the $50 fee. You have to wait 3 weeks before you apply to move anyway. Most people--like me--don't move, because you will most likely have friends in non-wellness apartments that you can hang out with, and you can drink off property if you want. You just can't have the alcohol in your apartment.

My roommate is 19, and we aren't good friends at all...mostly because we have nothing in common and we haven't made any effort to be friends anyway. I was here 3 months before her, and I already had friends. She spends a lot of time on the phone with her mom and doesn't really do anything but work and sleep. Its a one bedroom, and I think its easier to just go elsewhere if I must drink..which isn't often at all. I didn't want to leave, because the 3rd floor of building 12 is my Florida family and certainly my home. I would have to move to the lesser complex if I wanted to find a non-wellness apartment. And the boys in the apartment across from mine are 21, so its not a journey if I want to drink.

I think it all depends on how much you really want to party in your own room. You have options if you just don't want to move. Otherwise, I know people that knew they wanted to move, so they just lived out of boxes and suitcases until they did. Its not a big deal either way.

Thanks for the input.
Do they allow drinking in the wellness apts if you are over 21? It sounds like it. I guess its a wait and see who you wind up with and stuff. thanks again for all your help!!

No....there is absolutly no drinking in wellness apartments. You cannot have alcohol in them at all. Not even empty 'souvenir' bottles.

The apartments aren't set up building by building. The wellness and nonwellness are mixed up as you checkin when you arrive. If you are drinking in a wellness, and the under 21 tenants are there, everyone will be terminated. If you are 21 drinking in a nonwellness that you do not live in, then you are safe. If you live in a nonwellness and there are wellness kids drinking in your apartment, you will be terminated. That sounds confusing, but its easy. It pretty much follows all alcohol laws like contributing to a minor or giving alcohol to a minor.

Pretty much, if you are the older drinker, you are responsible. If you live in the apartment, be careful who is drinking in your apartment. ANY under 21 student caught drinking will be terminated on the spot. That applies to anywhere on property, including other apartment complexes, parks, and PI.

Turning 21 while you're down here is tough because it puts you in an awkward position. I turned 21 about 2 months into my program, and was faced with the decision whether or not to move out of my wellness apartment and into a non-wellness. When you get here you obviously have to adjust to your living situation and you take the time to get to know your roommate. Although it was hard for me to get used to living with another person I like him and we've gotten along well. So, the hard part is deciding whether or not drinking at home was important enough to risk getting a bad roomie. So... although I am bummed about not being able to buy alcohol and bring it home to relax and drink... I didn't want to leave the place I made my home and take any crazy chances. Every person has to make their own call, but the rules about drinking definitely put anyone who turns 21 while here into a difficult spot. :rolleyes1

sounds like things have changed since my CP. However I can say this, I lived in a wellness apartment and Im glad I did. Never had to worry about parties or too many unwanted guests. If your CPer wants to drink do it elsewhere...and have a (relatively) quiet apartment to come home too!

Cheers,
Jungle Josh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter