Two Bedroom Villa for Families with Young Children--Where!?

HelloAriel

Currently on the fence about buying DVC
Hello all! Long-time listener, first time caller.

We're planning a family vacation for next October with another family. Four total adults (in our thirties), and three kids under 4 years old.
Swimming is important to us, namely little kid friendly areas.
Proximity to buses/monorail is also important, meaning, are there places where I have to walk far from the DVC area to the bus or mono.

Right now, we're considering Animal Kingdom and Bay Lake. Are we overlooking anything?

Also, keep in mind we live by a world-class zoo, so not to be snooty, but none of us is super into seeing animals. Is it worth it to have the savannah view?

Which DVC resort has the best accommodations for toddlers? The best theming for toddlers?

THANK YOU ALL!

Check out You Tube for resort videos, that will help you decide on the theming part of your question.

:earsboy: Bill

Watch out for BLT. We had climbers and my nephew who was 4, got out into the patio (door handle is low and the lever type) climbed onto the tables and chairs outside to "look at the monorail". BLT has the concrete walls in the balcony versus bars, so the kids were always trying to climb up to see outside.

AKV doors are sliders and they are pretty heavy for young kids. AKV also has a great water play area. We weren't as impressed with BLT.

You might want to consider BWV or BCV. They are convenient for Epcot and DHS. Our adults prefer it for the multiple dining options.

Not to sound too aloof but EVERY DVC resort is suitable for families. You're probably just going to get people listing their favorite resorts. Which is fine...but every resort has its fans.

All resorts have pools. All resorts have rooms which are close to transportation. Theming varies from one resort to the next so you'll have to decide which fits your personal tastes. (Doesn't sound like the savanna at AKV is a high priority for you so not even sure why it made your top two choices.)

There are slight variations in room size, layout and amenities (like bathrooms--some resorts have 3 in a Two Bedroom...most only have 2) but you'll have to decide how important those variations might be to you. For instance, is the two bathrooms even an issue? In my experiences, the extra bath is only handy if you have extra adults or teens in the group and need more space for those who spend a long time getting ready in the morning.

To me, 90% of enjoying a Disney resort is picking a theme that you like. Every resort has pros and cons in transportation. Pools and other recreation are similar at all. Room setups have slight variations, but rarely are any of those variations deal-breakers.

If cost is an issue, then you may have to cross some resorts off your list due to high price. But beyond that, go with something YOU find to be visually appealing.

Thanks, Nala. That's the advice I was hoping for. I haven't paid much attention to the AKV play area, choosing to lounge in the pool sans kids, so I'm glad to hear about that. :earsgirl:

Tim, thanks for the response. As a follow-up, I have stayed at many of the resorts, but was more interested in ideas based on the toddlers. Of course they all have pools, but are any especially good for toddlers is my question. I haven't stayed at a resort with my child yet.
I do like the AKV, but just not sold on the savannah. Love the activities and room decor. I am asking if there are lots of options for the wee ones. I apologize if I wasn't clear--I've since edited my post.

HelloAriel said:
Thanks, Nala. That's the advice I was hoping for. I haven't paid much attention to the AKV play area, choosing to lounge in the pool sans kids, so I'm glad to hear about that. :earsgirl:

Tim, thanks for the response. As a follow-up, I have stayed at many of the resorts, but was more interested in ideas based on the toddlers. Of course they all have pools, but are any especially good for toddlers is my question. I haven't stayed at a resort with my child yet.
I do like the AKV, but just not sold on the savannah. Love the activities and room decor. I am asking if there are lots of options for the wee ones. I apologize if I wasn't clear--I've since edited my post.

We got back from a trip to AKV Jambo recently. It seems (warning - opinion to follow) to us that the kids enjoyed the AKV experience when we werent in parks. The story telling, fire pits at night on the lookouts etc. The lodge was like its own park. Just my 2 cents.

Any resort would likely be fine. Walks to resort transportation vary. For BLT you need to go to the Contemporary, not a long walk but not real short either. For AKV, each building has its own bus stop not far from the lobby but walk to it depends on where room is; walk can range from fairly short to about 1/3 mile and that applies to both DVC and non-DVC guests. In fact, at any DVC resort the distance to the pool or transportation can vary from fairly short to fairly long depending on where room is. If you are looking for spacious 2BRs with three bathrooms, AKV Kidani or BLT are the choice. Both of those also have kid-friendly pool with AKV Kidani having an elaborate kids water play area.

A probable issue you are going to face is availability since you mention going in October, DVCs second highest demand month of the year (reasons include: Halloween party, food & wine at Epcot, next to lowest point cost season, usually perfect weather, and crowds are manageable). If you own at a resort you can and should reserve it 11 months out. It is switching to another resort at 7 months out that will be the issue. BCV, BWV and BLT can be difficult to get during that month if looking for anything more than two or possibly three consecutive nights. Even VWL and AKV might have issues around Columbus Day weekend.

We got back from a trip to AKV Jambo recently. It seems (warning - opinion to follow) to us that the kids enjoyed the AKV experience when we werent in parks. The story telling, fire pits at night on the lookouts etc. The lodge was like its own park. Just my 2 cents.

Every resort has fire pits and somemores. Many have community halls, too.

we stayed at akl, jambo house, had a long walk to pool and to kadani for food.
Family really liked beach club, also stayed at ssr two bdrm. recently returned from vwl, family really loved it, like the boat ride to mk.

as mentioned all have positives, depending on what you're looking for

as for ak, don't think we would do savana view again, lots of look out areas, but then again we've done savana view a few times already

We recently did a 2 bed at Kidani and I thought it worked out well with our toddler. The pool has a zero entry and a very large splash play area - both terrific for smaller kids. The community hall had movies, animal figurines, play blocks, coloring - he was very happy there as well with his play "zoo." And the master bath was huge and we put the pack and play in there.

We're staying at BLT in the spring so can't comment on that one yet. And OKW this January - both because of low point requirements and because they have a sand play area which will keep my guy occupied if/when it's too cold for the pool.

bay lake tower would be my choice with children under 4 AKV is not transportation friendy and its pretty far from MK

second would be Beach Club or boardwalk close to two parks can walk to epcot and boat to hollywood character breakfast at beach club and also swan hotel (weekends for swan)

another item to consider is the bedroom configurations.
We have 4 daughters, ages, 20, 18, 13 & 5, one of the reasons we choose VWL last time was because the second bedroom had two queen beds the girls could share, they're not crazy about the sofa beds, so for us the two queen beds are important

We just came back from Kidani and loved it. Our room was between the Kidani and Jambo lobbies, so it was an easy walk to enjoy both pools/amenities. (Long enough walk, however, to always need to bring the stroller!)

The reason we went with Kidani for our toddler (only 1) was for the playground. I couldn't find much information online (please correct me if I'm wrong) but not all deluxe resorts have playgrounds! BLT/Contemporary being one of those non-playground resorts (again, correct me if I'm wrong-- I couldn't find anything about it, if there is one).

Our toddler loved the pool on the Kidani side (it has a rather impressive splash area) and the playground on the Jambo side (so many slides!). We did NOT have a lack of activities! He was really too young to enjoy any of the structured activities put on by the resort, but I would think they are comparable among the DVC resorts?

We chose the Savannah view even though we, too, have a zoo that we love and frequent. Our little guy wasn't really into it, but I was surprised as to how much my husband loved watching the animals! Somehow it feels different watching the zebras *right next to* the giraffes just hanging out... while you're in your PJs, drinking coffee! If, however, you could use those points elsewhere, I wouldn't say that the view would make or break your trip.

It was a bit of a trek to and from MK using the busses, that would be my only downside.

HTH!

I would pick a resort with a kid slide and a zero entry pool. Bcv, ssr would both work off the top of my head, bwv will not.

We have enjoyed BLT for our trips with toddlers. The walk to MK with strollers is far better than any other Transportation option from any resort. The pool is great - not too big and has a great splash pad and toddler slide. The electric water parade is great fun and is extra nice for parents to enjoy if kids are asleep..we also really enjoyed our relaxed day there - pool day, chef mickeys dinner, s'mores on the beach, then water pageant, and then hallowishes at TOTWL!

The monorail alone is a major attraction for my kids. We have always had monorail views but the kids have not done any scary railing climbing on us...most of the time they watch from inside the big window in the mornings...

The sleeper chair is also a great feature and 3 bathrooms is nice with 2 families and 4 adults...

Thank you all so much!

I was kind of wondering about the availability of zero depth pools and I appreciate the insight. The dvc website isn't necessarily really good at advertising things like that and I don't have a photographic memory.
The character breakfast hotels are something else to consider. I guess I will go back to the drawing board and make a pros and cons list. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter