tye-dye soaking, updated ? in post 7

PaulaSue

<font color=purple>I have a purple car too and lov
After you do the mickey head and wrap it very well how do you rubberband the rest of the shirt. Do you continue down the shirt making a long tube or do it another way? Any tricks?

TIA. I am doing for 9 people.

~~~I made a sample one last week and it didn't turn out as well as I though it would. I added a ton of ink to it. I though it would be all color and almost no white but it has tons of white areas. :( I rubberbanded it in four sections (front, back, and each sleeve), thinking a long tube would be too bulky to get the color all though.

I randomly banded mine b/c I wasn't so good at the tube concept - here is what mine looked like

shirts001.jpg
shirts002.jpg

shirts003.jpg
shirts004.jpg

shirts005.jpg
shirts006.jpg

shirts007.jpg
shirts008.jpg

shirts009.jpg
shirts010.jpg

shirts011.jpg
shirts012.jpg

If you want Mickey's head to be white, I used 10 rubberbands just on that section. It took me 3 shirts before I got that part right. I just sort of folded the shirt back and forth, put rubberbands every couple of inches. Good luck.

I tubed mine (and if I had any idea how to post pictures, I would, I need to work on learning how, I have lots of great shirts done) ANYWAY, after sewing the mickey head I rubberband the end of the mickey head well and then did the collar with one and then the sleeves with about 3 each and then made the tube. I used about 10 rubberbands down the tube. When you do the tube you will get an arch affect to the back of the shirt and under the mickey head. Also make sure when you do the mickey head to pull it very tight and rubberband around it with about 6 rubberbands (or about 1/2 to inch of rubberbands) so you get a defined head. Good luck. :goodvibes :earsboy:

Bumping this for my encouragement. I have to get this done, I have to get this done... only 6 1/2 weeks.

I love the pictures and thank you for sharing them!!!

Okay we finally dyed them. 10 in all (an extra for youngest).

2 weeks ago it took me over 5 hours to sew the shape and band them all. (girls helped) It took us 2 hours today to dye them at the party for all going.

I am a little disappointed that FIL didn't get into it but my Dad and DH had a blast as much as the kids.

I can't wait to wash and see our art. ::yes:: How long did you leave them soak?

Only 8 days until we go.

PaulaSue said:
Okay we finally dyed them. 10 in all (an extra for youngest).

2 weeks ago it took me over 5 hours to sew the shape and band them all. (girls helped) It took us 2 hours today to dye them at the party for all going.

I am a little disappointed that FIL didn't get into it but my Dad and DH had a blast as much as the kids.

I can't wait to wash and see our art. ::yes:: How long did you leave them soak?

Only 8 days until we go.

I waited 24 hours but that was what the directions that came with my dye said to do. I would check with the directions that came with the dye and see what to do.

Becky

Thanks!

The directioons said 4-8 so I waited 8. They turned out pretty good. The worst/hardest was keeping the mickey from getting another color in him.

You can help that...

After its all banded up.. dye the mickey head and then put a baggie over it and use a rubberband to hold it there...right where the other rubberband are.

Then you can dye the other sections without to much worry of anything splashing on the head.

I had the same problem the first time.. little droplets on the plastic sheeting and when i was dyeing the other sections the head touched a few and i had ugly spots on the head :(

Cool idea Thanks!

I just dont know if I will be making anymore but you never know when we might need more. (crossing fingers)

Last week was our trip and we looked cool, IMO :rotfl2: You couldn't miss all 9 of us.

Once I get the pictures (shrank) I will add to my girls web page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter