Uber to race?

happ

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping to do Wine & Dine. I'll be staying offsite. Has anyone taken an Uber on race morning? Would it be better to Uber to an onsite resort and then take runDisney transportation?

For 10K and half you could uber to Poly and walk (assuming the starting line stays the same). 5K it would probably be easier to just Uber to Epcot (again assuming same starting area as usual).

For 10K and half you could uber to Poly and walk (assuming the starting line stays the same). 5K it would probably be easier to just Uber to Epcot (again assuming same starting area as usual).
Thanks. It would be the half. I've only ever stayed onsite for races & taken the bus.

For both MW and Princess there was a designated area for runner ride-share and drop-off not too far from where the resort buses dropped off. There were plenty of staff and volunteers in the parking area to direct drivers where to go.

For both MW and Princess there was a designated area for runner ride-share and drop-off not too far from where the resort buses dropped off. There were plenty of staff and volunteers in the parking area to direct drivers where to go.
Great! Thanks!

I believe each race has a designated drop off area based on the course. If you are staying offsite and have a car I'd suggest driving. I drove for the first time from offsite this MW and I actually prefer it to the race buses. It was nice having my car to keep stuff in for after. If I stay onsite in the future for a race I'll likely drive instead of taking the buses.

I agree that driving can be more convenient, but it depends where you are staying and where the road closures are for a particular race (ie driving from an MK resort during the half or full at MW would not be possible unless you left extremely early). For your situation, just follow the directions in the race guide and you'll be fine. We drove from Margaritaville for Princess and it was super easy. We left at the time the first buses were picking up at the resorts to avoid any traffic issues, but once you are there you can nap a little in your car, eat breakfast, finish putting on a costume, etc.

I believe each race has a designated drop off area based on the course. If you are staying offsite and have a car I'd suggest driving. I drove for the first time from offsite this MW and I actually prefer it to the race buses. It was nice having my car to keep stuff in for after. If I stay onsite in the future for a race I'll likely drive instead of taking the buses.
Thanks, but I won't have a car.

I agree that driving can be more convenient, but it depends where you are staying and where the road closures are for a particular race (ie driving from an MK resort during the half or full at MW would not be possible unless you left extremely early). For your situation, just follow the directions in the race guide and you'll be fine. We drove from Margaritaville for Princess and it was super easy. We left at the time the first buses were picking up at the resorts to avoid any traffic issues, but once you are there you can nap a little in your car, eat breakfast, finish putting on a costume, etc.
I guess I'll just get an Uber as early as possible, as I won't have a vehicle. I'm planning on a Disney Springs hotel.

I'm going back and forth about whether to try Uber or just rent a car. We are probably staying at Universal and I've always rented a car for runDisney weekends. But I like to avoid Disney transit if at all possible (I am the queen of the catastrophic Disney transportation failure!) and like the idea of being dropped off right at the TTC for Wine and Dine weekend and not having to park at Epcot and get on a bus. But when I start to analyze multiple Uber trips (RT to the Expo, 10K, half, after-party and airport), it might be cheaper just to rent a car.

Thankfully, it's not a decision that I need to make right away.

How was Margaritaville????

We liked it! My mom and aunt are semi-local (west coast of Florida), so they drove over and we stayed in a rental cottage where we each had our own bedroom and bathroom. The place also had a small private pool! With our own car, we could come and go easily for the parks (we only did the 5K). Pro tip: If you go straight across the intersection at the entrance of Margaritaville and 192, that connects to Osceola (turn left behind CVS) and right onto property near AK.

We got a pass that allowed us to use the main Margaritaville amenities, but we didn't really use them. The main pool area was nice, but crowded, and there is no internal transportation through the resort. We were just far enough that we needed to drive to the main building, so we really didn't take advantage of the main resort much. It was nice for a random off-site stay or if you weren't doing the parks as the focus of the trip.

I found the cottage rental on Marriott's site, as they are tied into their Bonvoy program. We rented through a third-party agency (with a check-in desk in the main building at Margaritaville) and I earned Marriott points for the stay. There are tons of different size properties with different layout and amenities -- it's a huge complex!

I found the cottage rental on Marriott's site, as they are tied into their Bonvoy program.

Ooh, interesting.

Because of DVC restrictions on borrowing right now, I'm thinking of a few days somewhere offsite for Princess next year before Sunrise Yoga. I didn't realize they are connected with Bonvoy. I had been thinking of an IHG property since I have points with them via their CC, but now I'll look into M'ville.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter