UD11/4 TR WDW/NYC/TX'11 fort worth and the long trip home

When were you there Melbourne5?

We were there September 16 - 23 - We went to MK on Sunday 18th and got some nice photos of the castle - but by Wednesday the crane had gone up - so annoyed about that, but I guess they have to do maintenance sometime.

I am also glad we didnt bother with any character meals - I havent read a good review from any of them - there are too many other fun restaurants to eat at.

Enjoying the TR - hope your bags turn up!

When we went to MK for the first time it was on October 2 and the crane was there and hence in all our castle photos. However, when we went back in for MNSSHP on October 7, it was gone so all our photos of that night have no crane in them :)

When were you there Melbourne5?

We were there September 16 - 23 - We went to MK on Sunday 18th and got some nice photos of the castle - but by Wednesday the crane had gone up - so annoyed about that, but I guess they have to do maintenance sometime.

I am also glad we didnt bother with any character meals - I havent read a good review from any of them - there are too many other fun restaurants to eat at.

Enjoying the TR - hope your bags turn up!

Arrived 20th sept .....left on 29th. The crane was upnthe whole time.:sad2:

i'm subbing in too. loving the report. we're DLR people, but thinking of going to WDW on our next trip, so eagerly reading about your experience.

After a good sleep in and somewhat adjusting to the jet lag we all managed to rise to a bright sunny day. Breakfast was had in the sugarloaf club lounge and had all we needed. Cereal ( fruit loops for the kids and the biggest kid), bagels or toast with jams, peanut butter, honey etc, fresh fruits & juices, coffee & tea, and each day a hot choice ...eg: porridge , grits ( yuk), waffles.
So loaded up and ready to go by mid morning it was time to take in that majestic grand Floridian lobby and make our way to one of 2 monorail rides to EPCOT.*

Our first monorail took us past MK and the contemporary resort and stopped at the transit centre. A quick change of platforms and really only a few minutes wait we were on the EPCOT route. It was on this trip I just started gaining the perspective of the overall size of WDW. The place was huge! My justification for staying onsite was confirmed. Around 15 m later we had arrived to be greeted by the iconic 'silver pineapple or golf ball ' that occupies the from of EPCOT and beams during day and night.*

A very quick entry ( the crowds seemed light) and it was off to our first round of adrenalin rushing for the day.....mission space and test track.

The grounds of EPCOT were just beautiful, well manicured and colorful but my reaction was that It didn't feel to Disney like. Almost an adult version. The *entry to Mission space is very impressive and big with rocket ships and planets on the outside and very space like interior on the inside.

First Moral dilemma for the day - all were keen for the orange pass at the entry gate. This means the ride features all the *g force effects. The green is the same ride but no effects. Different line, different wait times. Our ds2 was very wary of this one so opted for the green line. Should we have said 'harden up' or just let him ride the more sedate green version? *After some discussion he agreed to continue on the green version. Ds1&3 were quick to point out his reluctance to ride with clucking sounds ( they can be so unkind sometimes). Any how before long we were pre briefed and awaited our launch on this very real simulator ride. As we were called up by mission controller , Gary sinese from Apollo 13 and csi ny, we climbed aboard a very small, confined but realistic cockpit. Everyone is assigned a role and have to press buttons and stuff as the ride takes place to keep the reality going. Buckled up we were then positioned horizontally and then take off. Well I looked at our faces and I could see the blood draining. It was , I guess, as close as you will get, to the gforce *experienced on such a mission! It was spectacular. The rest of the ride was to help get the ship to the planet and everyone had to press their buttons as their role dictated. It finished with a fast stop and very shaky on the legs we hobbled off to see how ds2 fared.

After leaving the ride you enter another few areas where the kids can work the computers, create pictures, make videos, send emails home in a mission control type area. All very well set out and plenty for the kids.

A ride like that left us thirsty so after a coke slushee we lined up for ride number 2 for the day - test track.

Test track is one of the premier rides at Epcot and WDW and for good reason there was a large queue. You walk through a maze of pre ride entertainment and staging areas and it all builds to the entry point of the ride area. You become a ' crash test dummy' in a vehicle that goes inside and out and after testing heat, following and brakeing you are thrown into daylight and reach speeds in excess of 100km p/h. It's all the more spectacular as its an open cabin with seatbelts. We all had a blast. I can recommend its even better to do at twilight too as the outside part of the ride is great.

As you finish up you go through a display room full of new cars to see including nascars and future hybrid ones along with those huge tanks that everyone drives in the US.

Afterwards it was time for some lunch at the 'land' pavilion which has some great food choices. Surprisingly good and non theme park like. I had seared tuna salad, DW had Moroccan chicken. However for those who enjoy park fare DL had nuggets and fries.....

The pavilion also houses a few rides that were fun. There is a ' circle of life' lion king inspired cinema showing a nature video ( it was ok but nothing flash).*

Next up was the ' livin with the land ' boat ride which takes you on a documentary style themed boat ride talking about nature, food and sustainability. All a bit heavy for the Melbourne 5 but a good little ride and one at keeps you nice and cool in the indoors whilst learning something on the way.

The big draw card of course is Soarin. It's one of our favorite rides and blew us away when we went the first time in California. This ride is exactly the same but the big build up was not as grand as the one at DCA. Sort of like lining up at the Westfield to goto the movies. The DCA version has a much better outside/ pre ride presentation to it. None the less the ride itself is fantastic and no matter how many times we ride it the call goes out from the dk's to ' legs up' ' arms up' etc as you go through e various parts of scenery. I really like the ending which ends up along main st USA at fireworks time. Simply stunning.

After all that it was time for our ADR at the Coral Reef restaurant . This one is attached to the finding nemo attraction . In one of the rare times during the trip we got caught in some heavy rain so we arrived a little damp. We did however all have at least a change of tshirts packed so we were reasonably comfortable.*

About a 15m wait we were taken to our table in e restaurant . One word 'WOW' ..the setup is a three or four tier of seating that all look upon a huge floor to ceiling glass aquarium filled with all sorts of sea life. The kids were awestruck and all the goings on kept them occupied. It's somewhat ironic it's a seafood theme so it was fish all round for the Melbourne 5 and we were too hungry to feel guilty. The food and service was good quality and we enjoyed the experience immensely.

We had much more to see at Epcot but that would have to wait until our 2nd visit later in the week.

A tired and a little wet Melbourne 5 hopped aboard the monorail to return to our home away from home at the GF.

When we arrived back there was an outdoor movie playing near the pool so we all grabbed some cookies and drinks from the club lounge, had a swim ( it was still really hot at 8pm!!!) and watched LILO and stich on the outdoor big screen .

Next up....animal kingdom in the steamy heat and MNSSHP with a surprise trick!

Great to read a new update thanks. Yes, by the time we had left, we'd ridden Test Track at several different times of day and night - we all loved it! :thumbsup2

I think this day shall go down as 'missed opportunity' day . Here's why;

We all had another good sleep in. So much in fact we struggled to get organized *enough to make breakfast in the club lounge a pleasant experience. To keep with the theme today the expresso machine was empty and as it was so late wasn't being refilled....no cappuccino today.....

Alas after getting out fill, mmm how those bagels with cream cheese and jam were oh so nice (lucky we were doing so much walking) it was time to go get the bus from the grand Floridian transport area. As we arrived we saw a bus headed for the animal kingdom pull away...missed it. Oh well I am sure there will be more....well the we're over the next 45 m or so,plenty in fact, just all going to Epcot, Hollywood studios or downtown Disney ....at least 10 buses but none headed to the AK!!

Just as all hell was breaking out amongst the DKs the AK bus pulled up, then another .....well there were a few of us waiting now. The bus pulled out and with just one quick stop at one of the water parks, we arrived nice and cool at the AK. The one striking feature is all the green and coupled with all that humidity I guess it felt very realistic....as you enter the big big tree of life is a standout due to its position and size in the park..

Our plan of attack today was a few shows, rides then an early finish to have us prepared for MNSSHP tonight. First stop - the lion king show which is just inside the park.A quick left up the path way and....'oh we're sorry but you have missed the lion king show . Best comeback later at 1 or 3...' *......DOH....oh well we backtracked and settled on the bugs life z4d , a good *show , and I love the song *' were the pollinators....!' after that we moved up the way to one of the 2 big rides Kali river rapids.*

Rain jackets at the ready we waited for this ride in a really pretty area themed up as a Asian jungle area. Everything was meant to look old but was immaculate in a Disney kind of way. As we hopped on the ride we donned the jackets as I assumed that this one would be similar to grizzly river rapids at DCA which is one of our favorites. Alas while well themed this ride was exceptionally tame with no big twist and turns ( and not very long) and the big drop was so-so. The DKs even lamented how lame it was. So 5/5 for presentation and 2.5/5 for the ride itself .

A quick lunch stop at one of the tusker house food outlets and we it was time to tackle the Himalayas ....well almost....the ride at AK definitely has to be everest expedition .its a roller coaster in the same mould as space mountain/ thunder mountain railway and it's a beauty. Lots of outdoor/indoor twist and turns with a a few surprises along the way too..all themed as only Disney imagineers can do.

Time them to head back to the GF but a quick stop at the big gift shop to pick up some last minute costumes for the MNSSHP . cars2 stuff for dk3, potc for dk2 *& we talked dk1 into one of mickeys sorcerers hat ( blue with ears and glowed in the dark no less)

A good fast bus trip home, a swim in the pool and guess what.....for all of you guessing if we ever got our luggage.....bless Qantas and FedEx who delivered our remaining bags to the room when we got back.......a big relief for all.

A big storm went through around 6 and that took some heat out of the day and off we went via boat from the GF to magic kingdom for mickeys not so scary halloween party. Lots of people were pouring out of MK but there were plenty more going in and my goodness I was gob smacked how much trouble people went to get dressed up for the evening . Kids,adults.....everyone. We saw lots of pirates,princesses, and characters too. What a hoot! Dinner at Micky mantles hot dogs on the corner of main st ( please correct me if I got the place wrong) . Most rides were in operation so we did thunder mountain railway to set the scene as , you may have guessed we missed out on splash mountain again because it was broken.....DOH*

Big queues tonight and the kids got bags at the entrance to gather candy at a number of outlets around the park. There was one down in the splash mountain area that they hit first. Boy did their eyes light up as handfuls of good candy started loading into there bags.....

We then made our way back into the main parade area in frontier land ( opposite the jamboree bears show) to wait for the boo hoo Halloween parade. *Now please let me know , but we are big fans of churros and dole whips and I went in search of both but could just not find any.....this was a similar theme on our WDW leg of our trip. So after all the searching it was drinks and Mickey sandwich ( like maxibons) for all. Yum.

The parade was great from the opening ride by the headless horsemen and all the characters themed out in Halloween garb. The music was so catchy I couldn't get it out of my head for days. The kids enjoyed it and it was a good way to relax for a while.

So off to check splash mountain before the fireworks and then our trek to the other side of the park. Or so we thought.

Splash mountain was open, finally, and we lined up ( DKs got more candy on the wait) and before long we were sitting in our log , at night, in the magic kingdom. Doesn't get much better than that. Off we went until the first corner and conveyor up the mountain. And then everything stopped. And the next log , and next one lined up behind us. Then an announcement....we have a breakdown and we will fix....ok ....this would be fun.....so we waitednandnwaited and lots of announcements on the pa to stay in our log ( I kind of wondered where we might go?). Some staff came around and said they were resetting the ride. So we waited even longer. About 45m later the fireworks show started and we at least had a view ( there were log stuck half way up the conveyor and apparently all around the ride). We watched the show with twisted necks as it was directly behind. Te fireworks were great and we really had a good elevated view, save our sore twisted necks.*

About another 15m later all sorts of things started happening, lights, music, conveyors . We were off. Well kind of . We made it to the inside of the ride *and we watched with envy as the log in front went up the final conveyor....the laughing place......and then our turn........oh no....as our log hit the conveyor it slipped and yes , the ride stopped again.

This time the cast members and some engineers were watching close by and the decision was that everyone would have to get out and be evacuated through the emergency exits as the ride was kaput. So newly 1.5 hrs after getting in our log we got out having not gone down the slide. The kids were unimpressed as you can imagine but with sense of adventure we got off and walked through the inside area with brer rabbit,nthe crocodile, the vultures, the bears ...wow. *Cheekily I recorded all of this as we got a reall behind the scenes tour. It didn't take long to reach the exit and in a very non magical way walked down some stairs into the backstage area. An alleyway with a few cars, a bit smelly from rubbish and not well lit. I got asked to turn off my camera as it really wasn't allowed. I couldn't disagree. Anyhow a few minutes later we were walking back in via the splash mountain photo shop and in an only at Disney way everyone got a welcome back from a possee of cast members who apologized profusely and gave everyone a full bag of candy ( big bonus! And the kids started smiling again).

A little worse for wear we went walking and were attracted to the haunted mansion as it was all lit up in green laser like fog and we enjoyed that all immensely. Another stop for some more candy at the rivers of America area and we made a family decision to go back for the night rather than move across the park to future land . We were due back in a few days so would cover that off then.

A big wait for our boat back to the GF later and we arrived back in one piece happy to grab some milk and cookies at the lounge, sneak a quick swim in ( isn't it great to be able to swim at 11pm when it's 28c before a big sleep.

Next up .....hollywood studios and a dinner at grandmas .

Loving the updates.

You were so calm about the Splash Mountain delays. That is just ridiculously frustrating. I think there should be a better way. Disney shouldn't hold people "hostage" for so long, especially at a special paid event like that.

Glad you enjoyed yourself still though.

Yeah I would have expected a little more pixie dust than that - at least some open ended fast passes so you could ride SM again later in your trip.

I would have been really angry at spending $300 on MNSSHP and spending most of it stuck on a broken ride.

At least you got your luggage!!

Wow, I can't believe you were stuck for so long. I'm glad you guys still had a good night at MNSSHP.

Just caught up on your TR (haven't read for ages!)

So glad you got the luggage eventually, but that was a few days without them, I wouldn't have coped! LOL. Funny, I was wondering as I was reading. Thinking I would have to go back because I can't remember seeing you mention your luggage, then all of a sudden you say it arrived. You were very patient waiting that long, mind you, I guess you really didn't have much choice. We have had lost bags before (at WDW), but they arrived late at night thank goodness, we didn't have such a long time like your family did.

We have never had a good meal at Chef Mickeys, I don't know why we keep going back. I think it's because it has so much potential and I wonder if it was just us that had a dud meal, but it seems to be a pattern and it's the same for breakfast and dinner. There are so many awesome character meals with great food, if we have less time next trip it will be one that we skip.

Glad you loved Coral Reef too, my DS loves it there (so do I), it is great sitting looking into that big tank.

Great TR so far :goodvibes

Hindsight is a wonderful. I guess if it were me, and if I had known that I was going to have a day like yours, I would have stopped at "We all had another good sleep in". :flower3:

A good sleep in this morning and a chance for the DKs to tally up their stash on Halloween candy from MNSSHP the previous evening. Along with the known stuff like kit Kats and snickers there were also lots of candy we hadn't seen before like lemon heads ( my favorite) and lots of wonka branded everything. When we included our 'sorry we trapped you on splash mountain' booty we had 10 bags and enoug to last a life time ( well at least till the end of the trip and a bit left over for Halloween night back here in Australia ....those kids who knocked on our door really didn't know how lucky they were to get real US corn starch candy.....)

After a quick lunch at the on site cafe gasparillas at the GF of pizza and hot dogs ( and yes cookies too) it was time to head off to Hollywood studios for the day. We boarded the cool a/c bus ( sure beat the steamy temp outside) for the 30m trip up to the studios.

Our plan of attack for the day was to get to a few of the live shows at the height of the heat and then do lots of walking after that around the park as we tackled the rides.

The entry to the park is very retro with lots of 60s style colors and signage. At the entrance there were two huge topiary displays in the shape of mater and lightning McQueen from cars. Well that went down very well with all and after lots of pics ( aren't digital cameras great?) it was time to head in.

Lucky for us we walked right into the Pixar parade and got a great spot. All the usual suspects including buzz,woody, jessie and co plus some others from 'up' that I hadn't seen before. It thought the floats that carried the characters were much more elaborate than the ones at DCA but the music was similar.

First up ride was the re - imagineers star tours ride in 3d. I must say it was a vast improvement on the previous version which was very tired looking. Outside was great with a big Forrest setting and dearth vader and co on stage as we were lining up. The ride supposedly has 50 potential stories. So the idea is you never see the same one twice. Maybe just unlucky but we rode this 3 times in our 2 visits and saw the same episode twice!!! It also has an awesome shop ,according to the kids, who all wanted to build a light sabre....a little death vader and bobba fettdoll *had to suffice.

Anyhow from there it was off to the first big show of the day....the lights motors, action show. A 30m show full of stunts and live action. The special attraction to this one though was the appearance of lightning McQueen himself as part of the show.mthe kids really enjoyed that bit and despite the seating being under cover with big fans it was hot,hot,hot......it's a pretty spectacular ending with cars and explosions and I am glad we spent the time under cover.

The muppet 3d theatre was next up...another indoor and thankfully a/c venue. *The kids really don't get the muppets and whilst enjoying the show I think it was DW and I who laughed the most. I might add that we saw the muppet movie just recently and the kids are now converts. Funny how it takes a trip to the movies to make them cool again.

Next up and close by was the next big show for the afternoon , the Indiana jones stunt spectacular. We all really enjoyed this show. It recreates some of the scenes from the very first movie and is set in the desert area with lots of big swords, nasty guys and indy the hero of course. All good fun and a super way to take in the movie theme nature of this park. The kids certainly knew this movie and really seemed to enjoy the scenes, particularly the plane and explosion sciences towards the end of the show. I thought it was great that after the show allergen cast stayed back to have pictures taken and sign autographs for all.

Two last things on the bucket list prior to dinner with grandma .....the first the tower of terror , a great ride that we could all go on and hardly any waiting time. The theming outside and in for this ride is arguably one of the best in all the parks. The cast members really play up to it as well and the staging areas all had something to keep us occupied. The ride is different to the one at DCA but I won't spoil the surprise. Needless to say lots of fun and some very scared kids in the official photos.

There was quite A line up for the Aerosmith roller coaster and for as much research as I had done couldn't work out why I couldn't see the ride....DOH....that's because it's inside and it is even better than California screaming for those connoisseurs of coasters ....it's got a great pre ride theme based on the rock group. You then go into a real beat up rough looking area of LA to get out of there ...by roller coaster of course. The whole ride booms along to Aerosmiths reworded 'love is a roller coaster' vs love in an elevator. It's all inside, dark , loud and about 3 inversions too. This was one of our favorite rides of the tour. The gift shop got a work out with tshirts and photos all round and it was time to head off to grandmas .

We arrived at the 50's prime time diner right on time at 715pm and waited in the reception area that reminded me of the holiday house we visits each year when we were young kids. You know the type. Mismatched furniture , ducks on the wall, melamine everything and black and white tv's ( the kids thought they were broken). It wasn't until our waitress ( who,bless her, was as old as grandma , and played her part well) took us to our table that the kids realized this was to be a different type of dinner.

Firstly the table was like eating in a kitchen, the end of table was a typical 50' s style kitchen and tv at the end was playing all sorts of old b@w tv shows including the Mickey mouse club. Seriously retro!!!

Our waitress took our order and soon returned with 5 shakes that to this day casued me 'cheek cramps' trying to slurp down all that milky goodness. It was so thick it was almost in drinkable. I noticed the dk's seemed much better than I. I may have been out of practice so I just kept slurping.

Both our waitress and all the servers really hammed it up and told the kids a few times to go wash up or else grandma wouldn't send ut there dinner. A server also stopped by and told them to get there elbows off the table. I still think the kids thought they were serious.

Dinner arrived and the kids went wild. We were pretty relaxed with the special food they had whilst we were away as they were doing so much exercise everyday and getting treats they wouldn't at home. Now that I feel better about my parenting skills I will announce that the kids fried chicken and corn arrived and they devoured it. DW and I had the special combo ( it had a better name if anyone can remember) that had some fried chicken , meat loaf and pot roast with veggies. I passed on the meatloaf ( too many scary memories from eating that when I was a kid myself ) but enjoyed the chicken.

The shakes were a good sub for dessert and as we were on a meal plan our server still brought us some cookies to take home . The service could not be faulted and small touches like that , without prompting, we're really welcome. Even felt good about tipping this time ( as opposed to say chef mickeys where the service was dreadful but the gratuity great fully accepted. Anyhow that's another story and as they say when in Rome.......!

I did have grandiose plans to go to fantasmic as well but time got away from us and we were visiting again later in the week so maybe then....

A quick trip back , just in time for a beer and wine ( well maybe 3) for the adults and some soda for the kids in the club lounge, a quick swim ( they were so many people still swimming after 10 pm every night. We were in there too. Just as hot and no sunscreen necessary....weird logic huh?)

Next up.......a whole day at the magic kingdom and dinner at crystal palace

A great morning of relaxation and a swim in the 2 pools at the GF. One is very large ,shallow at one end & deep at the other and is surrounded by the GF guest buildings. The other has a water slide and the walk in / out variety. Both have life guards. We ran into one who was from Melbourne and was just finishing her 6mths internship in some sort of exchange program.*

We got to know her as ds3 decided to go on the water slide ,and whilst very aware around water , forgot to put on one of those really cool life vests ( rubber version) and proceeded to come out , and start spluttering and splashing until said Melbourne life guard ( how's that for a small world) jumped in to get him. You know it only takes a split second and both of us were attending to other things like towels, sunscreen etc etc... We felt really bad but I know no why those guards sit right under the slide exit .....for quick scooping up. Ds3 was not phased one bit, went with the life guard, picked out a life jacket put it on and with a big smile walked straight past us ( as both myself and dw were still in shock at how quickly and what had just happened) back onto the water slide. Needless to say we thanked the life guard and in a very Disney way expressed not to worry, that's why they have lifeguards and we are here to help.

We spent a few hours in the waterside pool. The kids preferred that one during the day and the big one just outside our building at night as they could also watch the outdoor Disney movie.

We caught the boat over to the magic kingdom. It went the wrong way and just when I started thinking oh no we have been kidnapped realized that it was headed to the Polynesian first then MK. The boat ride was I reckon the best way to go. Had a real sense of nostalgia and grand entrance... ( the monorail was a/c though.

Today's list of things to do was to turn right at main st and head for tommorowland and fantasy land and sweep back through the frontier land before heading for dinner.

It was another really hot ,sunny and cloudless day ( this was rare with so few clouds so everyone got an extra dose of sunscreen)

First up it was lunch at Cosmic rays for a hot dog, drink , chips and cookie ( boy those meal plan deals were overly generous).

Then we went to 2 rides unique to WDW, stitches great escape and monsters inc laugh floor.

Stitches great escape rated a big fat zero with us. To this day all of us arenstillntrying to figure out what the ride is all about. Completely baffling. If I have offended anyone as this may be there favorite ride please let me know what's supposed to happen?..and to think this one needed a fast pass.........

Feeling a little hollow we made it across to monster inc and whiltst not a ride it was a great interactive show and the kids really did enjoy it. Everyone had to participate and they picked some people at random to ask questions and dance ....the questions part was fun as the characters spoke with the real voices. However unsure if the 'hey you in the crowd- get up and dance ' was a set up with cast members or not. Anyone know? Anyhow we gave the show an4/5 on average.

W had a bit of time before space mountain so did the tomorrow land transit people mover, nice views, very tame, enjoyed by all but looking a little tired as a ride in my opinion. We gave carousel of progress a miss a we assumed it was the same as the one at DL *which we didn't enjoy as it seemed like a big ad . ( if I am wrong let me know.....)

In the appropriately named aunty gravitys galactic goodies we used those gold cards again, boy they were fun to see all those $$$$$ rung up and all prepaid...psychologically *felt like we didn't pay at all.... ( yes I think I need more Disney therapy soon), for some mango smoothies and then off to tomorrow land speedway. Seemed bigger than DL but probably just my imagination. Had a good ride with ds1 and got some great video footage of ds2&3 fighting over the wheel. They were slapping and punching and yelling and I got it all on film ( they are going to be so so embarrassed at their 21st's) one word of warning though. On a hot summers day with no sunscreen on the top part of your legs ( ie when you wear shorts and sit down and you lose about 5 inches of coverage) that bit above your knees burns really well ( lesson learnt) even though they were exposed for 10m or so on the ride.*

It was time to head to space mountain to ride . DS3 was really excited as he hadn't been able to go on this one before on our previous trips as he was too short... So off we went....the entrance area seems much bigger and in the standby line there were initeractive games to play along the wall. I just don't know why you would bother when you can get your fast pass routine going to avoid delays.

After an orderly march ( it all seemed uphill) we arrived at the loading bay . The ride carriages are different to DL as they are 3 to a cabin behind each other as opposed to side by side. A little scary for ds 3 but he absolutely relished it. We brought numerous photos to put up in his room at home and he has abig grin in each one. He still talks about space mountain as one of his favorites. The ride itself seems familiar to thenDL version. It's fast , scary and dark. One of our favorites an a 5/5!!!

We had planned to move into fantasyland but we noticed a very short line for buzz light year astro blasters so basically walked right on to ride. It was another way to enjoy some action and stay cool out of the heat. The ride seemed longer than DL and my hands hurt after wards ( must *be getting old) but really it was because the ride kept stopping a lot so you could just shoot away without going anywhere . The dk's enjoyed this one too and were very competitive with their scoring. of course toy story is a big favorite in our house so it's seen as a must do ride. 4/5 score for this one.

The final ride for the early evening ,by now, was astro orbiters. This one is definitely a DW and dk's ride as I get queasy on the rides that go around and spin. Go figure. Roller coasters and stuff no worries. But I will avoid the tea cup and saucers like the plague....ride enjoyed by the others 3/5 rating it was time for our ADR at the Crystal palace.

We had about a 20m wait to be seated even with and ADR . We used this time to have a look around the area and it's just magnificent. We arrived just on dusk so the lights were just coming on and it's a stones grow to the castle also looking great as the night sky was taking over. Fortunately we were under cover when an almighty tropical storm started. One of those 20m down pours and in bucket loads. We watched a lot of poor unfortunates getting absolutely soaked. With the buzzer buzzing we we were soon seated inside and I would have to say its just as impressive looking inside as out.*

All the Disney finery , Buffett style with a kids section as well as good quality roasts and some seafoods. *The food was much better than chef mickeys,the service better ( still felt that the staff were a little overwhelmed). Our server kept asking if we needed more of anything and our drinks magically kept refilling all the time ( a particular highlight for our Dk's who are all too familiar with Australian places where it's ' this is the only drink you get...make it count' *type of conversation.)

Amongst all the servings of food, I found the beef particularly good at the carvery, the characters were out and about. All the favorites from winnie the pooh- pooh bear, tigger, eye-awe, piglet paraded around, stopped at every table and took pictures with all. About every 30m they do a big conga line *and the Dk2&3 were off enjoying it all. Although dk2 was purely there to look after his 5yo brother he tells us.*

We really enjoyed the meal and the characters and the venue looked simply amazing. 4.5/5 rating.*

We waddled out and decided that we would try and hold out for the fireworks at approx 930pm so we took fate into our hands ( see my MNSSHP post) and headed off to splash mountain.....

Amazingly small lines for this ride, and riding in the dark always makes it interesting, we enjoyed the ride and felt quite good that we got through in one piece without stopping ( better than our 1 and a bit hour delay on MNSSHP night). Feeling satisfied we decided to head for the haunted mansion prior to heading back to the main st / castle area for the fireworks.

Haunted mansion takes on a special appearance at Halloween time. Lots *of fog, green laser lights, all the cast members in makeup along with their uniform. They were also taking official photos which we didn't understand until it was too late. The idea we thought was a picture with the mansion as a back drop. It was but also had some special spooky ghosts thought the offical photos which would have been good. Anyhow too late. Ride is good, if not a little ghoulish ,and of the conveyor variety ( sit in moving clam shell car). Kids didn't have nightmares so that was a bonus.

The 'wishes' fireworks were great and with the music and theming a 'Disney only' experience. *It was good to be immersed in it all along the main street and that view of the castle at night is a memory that lasts a lifetime.....you do have to pinch yourself and say how good is this......

We departed soon after, took the monorail back *, as the boat ramps looked very very crowded. Arrived back home to the GF for a night cap, swim and bed...

Next up .....Epcot pt 2 including Oktoberfest*

Wow I am amazed that you can remember so much detail -6months on, or is it 5?

We too, love American soda refills - glad to see I am not the only Mum that orders one soft drink each and a jug of water - :rotfl2: Although its probably a healthier option....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter