UK-US travel, 2021/2022

Just been sorting travel insurance for my October trip. When i went to the Canaries last year I did a lot of trawling and eventually used MoneySupermarket to buy a Puffin trip policy. It all seemed good so this time I went straight to MSM again and Puffin came out near the top again (even though it's for USA not Spain). It was about £267 for the trip.
So I clicked the more info/details button and on the next page it had this:
How mad is that?

I went round the loop a bit and read a lot of small print, and AFAICT it's correct. So I got the annual policy.
As I might take a short trip to Spain in the summer anyway it's a win-win.

So if you are shopping for trip insurance check out the annual policies too ...

I've always found annual cheaper than any one trip over a week which is why I've stuck with annual. You just never know when it might come in useful and most also cover UK trips too

California are lifting the indoor mask mandate so hopefully other requirements will go soon

I think I'd rather they keep mask mandate and remove the testing for vaccinated if I'm honest. Would make life a lot easier. I know kids would still need to be tested but its one less thing to stress over
On balance I'm the other way. I find masks a big nuisance (I wear glasses) so they are far more inconvenient and unpleasant for me, over say two weeks holiday, than the short inconvenience of the testing.

California are lifting the indoor mask mandate so hopefully other requirements will go soon
Outside of air travel masks are mainly under state level control. Immigration is obviously federal, so those rules are likely to change much slower.

I've lost track just now ... What are the Florida state rules at present? (I know Disney has its own overlay.)

Ive just returned from 2 weeks in LA / Disneyland. The mask wearing didnt bother me at all, in fact I double mask and wore them continually all day every day, even when technically not required such as outside. I put them on as I left my hotel room every day and only took them off when I was actually eating and drinking. Sometimes like when I had coffee I put them back on between sips. I used Photopass at Disneyland and kept my masks on for all photos, as I wear Disney Bounding outfits and the masks were coordinated and part of my outfits.

I found it was other people who had issues with me wearing masks. All the photopass photographers asked me was I sure I wanted to keep the masks on. The same at the airport when I was drinking Starbucks while waiting at my gate area and put the mask on between sips. A woman opposite me commented on how silly it was and didnt it annoy me. Actually I was doing it automatically and didnt even realise that I was doing it.

I think when someone like me, who double masks and wears masks out of choice , not just because the Government tells you too, makes people uncomfortable as many in America see masks as a political issue and an infringement of their rights and feel threatened when someone has different views to them.

And yes I did get stared at when I wore masks when the majority of people were not.

On balance I'm the other way. I find masks a big nuisance (I wear glasses) so they are far more inconvenient and unpleasant for me, over say two weeks holiday, than the short inconvenience of the testing.

Completely get this. I wear glasses too but feel a lot safer in a mask than by being tested in all honesty as you can test today and be negative and tomorrow be positive. At least wearing a mask gives some protection to others. I have a great defog spray I use for my glasses

Ive just returned from 2 weeks in LA / Disneyland. The mask wearing didnt bother me at all, in fact I double mask and wore them continually all day every day, even when technically not required such as outside. I put them on as I left my hotel room every day and only took them off when I was actually eating and drinking. Sometimes like when I had coffee I put them back on between sips. I used Photopass at Disneyland and kept my masks on for all photos, as I wear Disney Bounding outfits and the masks were coordinated and part of my outfits.

I found it was other people who had issues with me wearing masks. All the photopass photographers asked me was I sure I wanted to keep the masks on. The same at the airport when I was drinking Starbucks while waiting at my gate area and put the mask on between sips. A woman opposite me commented on how silly it was and didnt it annoy me. Actually I was doing it automatically and didnt even realise that I was doing it.

I think when someone like me, who double masks and wears masks out of choice , not just because the Government tells you too, makes people uncomfortable as many in America see masks as a political issue and an infringement of their rights and feel threatened when someone has different views to them.

And yes I did get stared at when I wore masks when the majority of people were not.

I get stared at in my town for wearing one mind and we still have the mask requirements in Wales!

Nope, no idea. The announcement of them opening the borders came out of the blue, so I guess this could too.

I suppose Biden is dealing with Russia and can only focus on one thing at a time! US cases are tumbling and states are taking action to remove Covid restrictions, even Blue states loyal to the Democrats. I also read the airline industry are lobbying hard for this too. If other Western Democracies are rolling back travel restrictions pressure will mount on USA. There is a strong green lobby especially in the Democrats that might be happy if travel is harder and flights reduce. That said I suspect, by the end of the winter, assuming no new variants or other issues, they'll lift most restrictions including testing. Would be so wonderful not having to worry I won't be able to go to Disney until the day before my holiday. As hard as I try I cannot get more than 50% excited.

I am enjoying the planning for our August trip (booking car parking, airport hotel etc) , 99% certain that it will happen.
I would love testing to travel to the US and masks on the plane to have dropped by then though!

I do agree, Biden does seem to have a lot on his plate at the moment, so if the CDC could just say, here Joe, sign this it'd be good lol!

I suppose Biden is dealing with Russia and can only focus on one thing at a time! US cases are tumbling and states are taking action to remove Covid restrictions, even Blue states loyal to the Democrats. I also read the airline industry are lobbying hard for this too. If other Western Democracies are rolling back travel restrictions pressure will mount on USA. There is a strong green lobby especially in the Democrats that might be happy if travel is harder and flights reduce. That said I suspect, by the end of the winter, assuming no new variants or other issues, they'll lift most restrictions including testing. Would be so wonderful not having to worry I won't be able to go to Disney until the day before my holiday. As hard as I try I cannot get more than 50% excited.

Yes we are holding out hope that the need for tetsing/vax will be dropped by December so we can travel!!

Yes we are holding out hope that the need for tetsing/vax will be dropped by December so we can travel!!
I expect that most rules will get dropped once we come out of winter and rates drop right down.
I think your risk is actually that if we get another tricksy variant going into next winter (like Omicron this year) restrictions might be reappearing by December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter