Underwater/waterproof cameras, cases and housings

I have looked at the Sony and really like it, but it is at the high end of the price range and for really nothing other than that has it out of the list, but if I can find a good enough price, it would be back in. I have not heard anything about the Samsung, so that will be a new one to track down. A local camera shop got a D10 in Friday so I am going to go fondle it alt lunch today, I have not seen one in person, so actually holding it may make the difference. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

We are going are looking for camera to use while snorkeling. About $200-300 range. Any suggestions good or bad. Thanks

3rd for a Canon D10. I have one and love it.

I also have an Olympus 1030SW with an extended warrantee that I'll definately be taking advantage of. I've sent that thing in twice now for repair.

Also, make sure to check, if you buy a water proof camera at some place like Best Buy, their extended warrantees often don't cover complete submersion, which means, if it breaks under water, they won't fix it. I know, it's an underwater camera, I know it is stupid, but I know atleast at Best Buy, their extended warrantee specifically excludes total underwater submersion.

Have Fun! And get a floating strap, it's so kewl to toss the camera into the pool and have it just float there!

DH and I will be rafting through the Grand Canyon for 7 days in June. OBviously there will be hundreds if not thousands of photo ops! I need an affordable underwater camera that is easy to use. The camera won't be underwater but constantly splashed when going through rapids and being on the water for 188 miles. I also need to consider battery type since there will be no charging/electricity. I saw a few at Best Buy and Target. Thanks for any suggestions!

While on the raft, you photo opportunities will be extremely limited. You will be more concerned about holding on to your life rather than taking pictures! I’d suggest using only a water-proof disposable film camera while on the raft. Your loss will be limited if you loose it, should you or it fall out of the raft. It’s possible that the guide may not allow use of even water-proof camera during the rapids because of a chance that it could hit someone in the face!

Most rafting companies provide water-proof army-style ammo cans for storing dSLR or other camera. Storage space is limited to probably only a single lens. Once the raft is docked for the day at a campsite, the ammo cans may be accessed for shore excursions. In calm areas of the river, it may or may not be possible to access ammo can to obtain camera.

Concentrate on the experience, not the photos!

-Paul

PP makes a good point. However, I have had my eye on a Canon D10. A number of people on a cruise forum, that I am a member of, swear by it. One person said it has survived several trips, including the bumps and bruises of river tubing. :thumbsup2

I have been looking for a camera for our family to use on DCL and beach vacations (as well as anything else that comes up). Researching can be really frustrating as reviews seem to be all over the place!

I'm leaning towards the Canon D10. I have an SX 20IS that I really like. I'm hoping to learn to use Photoshop to improve my images!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter