Underwater/waterproof cameras, cases and housings

Thanks for the link, I'll have to see if they have anything else, but 33 foot, is right at the depth we'll be diving at on the shallow dive... So that one wont work for me.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to see if they have anything else, but 33 foot, is right at the depth we'll be diving at on the shallow dive... So that one wont work for me.

They have this:

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/underwater/Gopro_HDHERO

down to 180 ft.

But even their aquatech housings are only good to 33 ft. You might have better luck at a dive shop, especially considering the environment you'll be in, they will have a much better idea of what works and what doesn't.

Yea, that one is creating a little buzz in the scuba hobby. Also for extreme sports. You just start it recording and go.. So it's always running or taking pics. I had forgotten about those :)

Yea, I think I'll wait and check when we get there, and if not, no biggie, the ocean isnt going anywhere soon no matter what BP tries :) so I'll just have to save up my pennies and get what I need / want.

Hi, I'm not a photograph expert, so I need your help to choose which waterproof camera It's better for me.
I'd like to get a compact model to take clear and beautiful photos under the sea ... :thumbsup2

+1 for the Canon D10 I have it and except for one setback (read leak that was replaced under warranty) it has taken great pictures both above and below the water.

Hi, I'm not a photograph expert, so I need your help to choose which waterproof camera It's better for me.
I'd like to get a compact model to take clear and beautiful photos under the sea ... :thumbsup2

How deep are you going? The point and shoots are great for shallow water, but when you get down to ten feet or so the water tends to gets darker and you might need something a little more elaborate.

There are quite a few threads from over the summer discussing various waterproof camera.

Waterproof Camera Recommendations please... ♥
Waterproof camera recommendations!
Favorite Waterproof Camera?

Thank you :goodvibes, I lot of material for me to read.

The Canon PowerShot D10 is one good option.

+1 for the Canon D10 I have it and except for one setback (read leak that was replaced under warranty) it has taken great pictures both above and below the water.

Thanks :goodvibes . I really like Canon Cameras... I'm gonna take a look at this one.

How deep are you going? The point and shoots are great for shallow water, but when you get down to ten feet or so the water tends to gets darker and you might need something a little more elaborate.

I'm not going in deep water, the point and shoot cameras will work fine for me... :thumbsup2

Well I have been doing alot of research including the reviews on this site and can not seem to make up my mind on what I want or need. Little background, we are replacing a 5MP point and shoot that has survived numerous beach trips, canoe trips, waterski outings, and a general beating. We upgraded about a year ago to an ultra zoom and also have a DSLR for good pictures. Well after about 6 years with us, I knocked the little one off the counter and it is DOA. My thought was to replace it with a waterproof one since that is where it gets used most, but I find myself looking at them as a good camera and need some thoughts. I am really stuck in the price to quality problem.

I am looking at the Canon D10, Olympus 6000 and 8000 series (6000, 6020, 8000 and the 8010), Casio G1 and the Fuji Z33 (I think). I am looking for good quality, but not real sure i want to spend a fortune. The casio and the Fuji are cheapest, but have their issues, Olympus seems to be the toughest but people don't seem to like the colors as well and they are the most expensive, other than the last year models, and then the Canon at the almost highest, seems to have best color, but the biggest and bulkier, but people have issues with them also. I want pictures while waterskiiing, but we are going on a cruise and would like to be able to snorkel with it as well. Anybody willing to step out on this limb to give some advice?

I think I'll sub in this. I could use some info on waterproof P&S that does video.:hippie:

I have an olympus 1030sw and canon d10. I would pick the D10 again. The 1030W is the ONLY camera I've ever purchased an extended warranty for and I'll likely have to use it as I've already had to send the camera in once.

That being said, if you buy an extended warranty, make sure it covers total submersion, most don't - which is odd because it's the exact function this camera is designed for.

But what ever you buy, realize, you are taking electronics into the water - you should expect issues. But the Olympus for us has been a good camera. I just expect their to be issues at some point.

My Olympus 790SW has the worst indoor shots of any camera I've ever had....Casio, Fuji, Sony and Canon P&S. It sucks. I don't know if they fixed it in the later models, but my next waterproof shockproof camera won't be an Olympus.

My Olympus 790SW has the worst indoor shots of any camera I've ever had....Casio, Fuji, Sony and Canon P&S. It sucks. I don't know if they fixed it in the later models, but my next waterproof shockproof camera won't be an Olympus.

yeah, still not fixed in the 1030SW. It's only use is as a water proof camera. I'd rather use a Nikon s220 which is a horrible camera it's self over the 1030sw.

I am looking at the Canon D10, Olympus 6000 and 8000 series (6000, 6020, 8000 and the 8010), Casio G1 and the Fuji Z33 (I think).

Here's a DPreview.com review of some of those: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

Here's the "shortcut" conclusion:
  • Best of the bunch: Canon Powershot D10, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1, Pentax Optio W60
  • Middle of the road: Pentax Optio W80, Olympus Tough 6000
  • Bottom of the class: Olympus Tough 8000, Fujifilm Z33 WP

I own one of the "middle of the road" cameras; the Olympus Tough 6000; it definitely has some drawbacks (it's very slow if you don't half-press, and it tends to overexpose with its flash), but it's really compact, has some clever features, and takes nice clean pics, and good video, underwater (in the pool, at least). I take it when I go catch-and-release trout fishing so I don't have to worry about dropping it in the stream, but can still get a good picture if I catch a big one!

I'm looking forward to trying it out in Maui, snorkeling, this October.

For about the same price, though, I think I would have liked the D10, better; it's certainly spec'd a little better. However, I bought my Oly 6000 with Christmas BestBuy gift certificates, and BB didn't carry the Canon.

Also add to your shopping list:

Sony TX5
Samsung AQ100

Those two are also waterproof, and I didn't see them on either your list, or the referenced test that was linked above.

I don't currently have a waterproof cam, but if I do get one, my priority personally is to have one that is as completely seamless and compact as my ultracompact camera currently is - I want to add the waterproof capability, but not have it look bigger, heavier, or more plasticky...so I tend to like the slim ones that don't look overly 'waterproofed'. The Sony TX5 is my first choice, Casio G1 worth a look, and the Pentax Optio W60 worth a look for me. I'd consider the others too - but for my personal taste the Olympus models look too 'beefy' and bumpered up, the Panasonic was too armored looking and heavy, and the Canon way too fat and bulky. Again, just my personal preference for what i'd be looking for in a waterproof compact!

Pentax has a newer camera (Feb, 2010) than those listed in the 2009 tests, the Optio W90. Its gotten decent reviews and is supposed to be tougher than W80 and good down to approximately 6m. Its going for $238 @ B & H.

I've used an Olympus tough before and it was ok but the buttons and controls were hard to use while snorkeling, and the screen wasn't the best underwater. I Have a Canon D10, and I Love it. Yes it is Huge, But that makes it easier to hang onto underwater, It also has a hand strap that can be attached to any of the 4 corners which make it easier for folks who are left handed. I took the D10 to Maui Last Year and Got Awesome Photos, I wound up leaving my SLR in the room because we were mostly on the beach and in the water and I don't trust myself not to drop it in the sand. The Great thing about the D10 is that it's all self contained, (Which could also be a curse if a simple repair needs to be done) so there are no lens covers you have to make sure are free of salt water, just dunk the whole thing in clean water. My Boyfriend's Father was considering getting the D10 to replace his Olympus, because he was tired of not being able to see what he was photographing, But the size did change his mind, since he keeps the camera in his pocket. I came home from Maui with amazing shots and Great Videos of sea turtles which I never thought I'd be able to bring that experience home. For me the only Draw back to the D10 is the size which doesn't bother me much since it's either in my purse or around my wrist. Hope this helps princess:

I had an Olympus Stylus 790SW 7.1MP didn't last even 2 years! The screen went black...it works some times and sometimes you can't see the screen. It did take really nice pictures. I was happy with both land and underwater but couldn't believe the black screen...so I bought the new Fujifilm FinePix XP10 figured it was cheap enough and had most of the same features! I like it and for the money a great deal. It has issues, terrible in low light, slightly difficult buttons to push...some funky thing with the sound and flash....but over all I am happy and it was rather cheap!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter