• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
How long would you wait to go after opening? I would want to wait a few months at least to let the initial opening madness pass by. Assuming the park opened in the summer, i would maybe plan to visit the following spring. Thoughts?

We already have a tripped planned for my 50th/HHN in September 2026, so it will be a year-ish (not by choice though lol) Now if DD wants to go Summer 2025 for her graduation trip instead of a cruise, that will put us there not long after they open

I wonder if Disney's rising prices and management issues will have a big effect on Epic Universe? I know it's still 3 years away, but it seems like a lot of people are switching to Universal and it's only gotten worse for Disney.

I haven’t a clue about that as I’m
completely excited over the new addition that will be here in 3 years!

I just hope I’ll live to see the day when it opens

I would be thrilled if they can develop the new park in Just two years

I wonder if Disney's rising prices and management issues will have a big effect on Epic Universe? I know it's still 3 years away, but it seems like a lot of people are switching to Universal and it's only gotten worse for Disney.
I'm wondering this as well. I'm mostly a Disney fan but Epic Universe has peaked my interest especially with Super Nintendo World. The one at Universal Studios Japan looks amazing and it's even getting an expansion over there. Nintendo is a property that appeals to both kids and adults so I could very easily see people gravitate towards Universal for that alone. I even plan on skipping WDW and checking it out just to see the Nintendo stuff. I do think Universal will definitely raise prices on their tickets and hotels but if they're putting out high quality lands and attractions I won't mind booking a Universal only trip in the future.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, after Epic Universe has opened, Universal will take the opportunity to make some big changes to Universal Studios in Orlando too. I have a feeling that whilst everyone is enjoying and exploring the new park that Men in Black, Simpsons, Pet Theatre will be taken down to create a whole new area to improve the original park.

I think prices will rise, but not considerably - Universal seem to have a handle on how Disney's increases have cost them customers big time and will want to cash in on it rather than follow their example.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, after Epic Universe has opened, Universal will take the opportunity to make some big changes to Universal Studios in Orlando too. I have a feeling that whilst everyone is enjoying and exploring the new park that Men in Black, Simpsons, Pet Theatre will be taken down to create a whole new area to improve the original park.

I think prices will rise, but not considerably - Universal seem to have a handle on how Disney's increases have cost them customers big time and will want to cash in on it rather than follow their example.

I suspect Universal sees Disney's crowd levels bursting at the seams and are trying to figure out just how much more they can charge for this 3rd gate.... and their resorts.

I suspect Universal sees Disney's crowd levels bursting at the seams and are trying to figure out just how much more they can charge for this 3rd gate.... and their resorts.
I think prices would already have increased if Universal wanted to play that game though. The fact that prices have only gone up a little shows that universal want to show their customers that they get value for money, don't have to reserve a park and offer on site accommodation at a much lower tariff than Disney.

Also, the whole "stay longer pay less" is the complete opposite of what Disney do.

I'll be very disappointed if they get rid of Springfield.

Is anyone else slightly disappointed looking at the plans.

I am sure the 4 themed lands are going to imersive and the rides very well themed after success of veliocoaster and Hagrids but is 2/3 rides in each land and a couple in the hub enough. 12/13 attractions for park of this size is not enough feels like should be at least 20.

Also it's seems the majority of the attractions are aimed for families/kids between 8-14.

Feels like they are missing a trick not adding a few rides for toddlers to compete with magic Kingdom and at the other end of the spectrum where are the really extreme rides for the adrenaline junkies?

These attractions might not lend themselves to themed lands but could be in the hub.

I mean with Epic in the name and the amount they are already spending you would think they would push the boat out and at least build one record braking coaster.

Think how epic it really would be if on top of the current planned attractions they built the worlds fasted launch coaster and a 300 foot RMC in the hub.

I am sure the 4 themed lands are going to imersive and the rides very well themed after success of veliocoaster and Hagrids but is 2/3 rides in each land and a couple in the hub enough. 12/13 attractions for park of this size is not enough feels like should be at least 20.

Also it's seems the majority of the attractions are aimed for families/kids between 8-14.

Feels like they are missing a trick not adding a few rides for toddlers to compete with magic Kingdom and at the other end of the spectrum where are the really extreme rides for the adrenaline junkies?

These attractions might not lend themselves to themed lands but could be in the hub.

I mean with Epic in the name and the amount they are already spending you would think they would push the boat out and at least build one record braking coaster.

Think how epic it really would be if on top of the current planned attractions they built the worlds fasted launch coaster and a 300 foot RMC in the hub.
Universal have made no confirmation yet about what will be in the parks, except for Nintendo World, but from what we have heard there will be a Donkey Kong coaster, 2 racing coasters and a how to train your dragon coaster.

In the central hub there is expected to be a carousel that rises and lowers with a new system, a Ministry Of Magic lift ride in Wizarding World, a boat ride in how to train your dragon area, 2 dark rides in classic monsters and there are also expansion areas that may or may not be used for park opening (as it's 2 years later than originally scheduled).

But there is a huge amount of info that Universal haven't announced, so still too early to really know what will be in the park.

Once Epic opens Universal will have the ability to remove many of the back stage support areas at UO IOA to make room for future expansion if they choose to do so. Way down the line I wouldn't be surprised to see CityWalk 1 go away either.

I'll be very disappointed if they get rid of Springfield.
I don’t think they could get rid of Springfield considering the addition is less than ten years old as I’m currently typing this. I’d be sad to see MIB go but that area has been a potential to be redone for a while (and given fear factor closed this is the most likely thing to change)

Also-I’ve heard some major criticism of USH Nintendo world as its being built that it’s too small. I feel like people forget USH does not have the space UOR and USJ have.

I don’t think they could get rid of Springfield considering the addition is less than ten years old as I’m currently typing this. I’d be sad to see MIB go but that area has been a potential to be redone for a while (and given fear factor closed this is the most likely thing to change)

Also-I’ve heard some major criticism of USH Nintendo world as its being built that it’s too small. I feel like people forget USH does not have the space UOR and USJ have.
Yes USH really does cram stuff in and Nintendo world does look very small indeed.

I'm hoping at some point UO add the secret life of pets ride, it looks super fun.

Hopefully you're right that they won't get rid of Springfield but there may also be some rights issues with Disney's acquisition of many Fox properties. I remember reading an article awhile back that predicted they would likely leave well enough alone considering they probably receive payments for the rights now but one never knows.

Hopefully you're right that they won't get rid of Springfield but there may also be some rights issues with Disney's acquisition of many Fox properties. I remember reading an article awhile back that predicted they would likely leave well enough alone considering they probably receive payments for the rights now but one never knows.

From what I've read the rights expire in 2028.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the land as that day approaches. Disney could just end things then (since they now own the rights and might want to do something themselves) or they could extend it and Universal will continue to pay them.

My guess is that we'd have a firm idea well before that timeframe as if Universal doesn't continue with it (be it Disney doesn't want to extend the rights, or Universal want to move on from The Simpsons) then Universal would need to start planning its replacement a good few years ahead of that time.

From everything that's rumored for Epic Universe, I think it's a good mix of something for everyone, with a bit of a slant towards younger I'd say (most likely to better compete with Disney).

Alicia Stella's reporting (Theme Park Stop) who I've always found to be quite accurate in her predictions (although things do change as time goes on) has this as the current rumoured set of attractions:

The Hub:
Launched Racing Coasters - max thrill rollercoaster
Carousel (using new patended hydraulic system) - All ages appropriate

Super Nintendo World:
Mario Kart Ride - Dark ride we're familiar with (since it's already opened in Japan). Height requirement in Japan is 36 inches so this skews younger (like 4 year olds could ride it)
Yoshi's ride - Omnimover we're familiar with (since it's already opened in Japan). This has no height requirements so it's low thriss and for anyone
Donkey Kong Mine Cart Coaster - This is a new ride system where the real track is hidden while the cart rides on a "fake" track that you can see. This is speculated to be more of a family friendly coaster but with indoor dark ride elements.

Classic Monster's Land:
"Kuka Arm" Ride - an attraction using similar ride vehicle that Forbidden Journey uses, but in a new/different way. Speculated to be a similar high thrill level to Forbidden Journey. So possibly 48" height requirement and higher thrill
Indoor Mack "Spinner" Coaster - This is a new/recent rumor and replacing a previously planned theatre attraction. If it's similar to other Mack spinning coasters it's a medium thrill attraction

Wizarding World:
Ministry of Magic Dark Ride - This is rumored to be a ride that combines the "Scoop" ride vehicle with a new elevator ride system patent. Expected to be medium thrill level
Possibly a 2nd attraction - originally was planned for 2 attractions (the second being a broom riding VR attraction), but the 2nd is now rumored to be going where Fear Factor Live was in USF. But something still might get added back to Epic.

How To Train Your Dragon Land:
Boat Battle Ride - If it's similar to other Mack Splash Battle rides this will be accessible to all ages
Dragon Launch Coaster - Rumored to be medium thrill attraction with some indoor portions with thrill level close to Hagrid's
Sky Fly Ride - One of these types https://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/en/products/flat-rides/sky-fly so probably adolescent level ride I'd guess
Large play area - akin to Camp Jurassic or the play area in Kidzone
Indoor Theatre show - all ages obviously

So 13 (or maybe 14) main attractions planned currently for opening day, with lots of open land for expansion (Huge chunks of land next to Nintendo and Wizarding World, and an expansion spot for Monsters). For comparison, Islands of Adventure currently has 16 (it opened with 8 main attractions), and USF currently has 13 (it opened with only a handful). So for me 13 or 14 attractions for Epic is a great start.

As for things for toddlers from the list it seems like nearly 1/2 of them will be toddler accessible with lots of things to do.

As for a monster coaster like a 300' RMC, I just don't see it happening. They had the opportunity (and originally planned) for Velocicoaster to be much taller, but decided against it and built it much shorter, but it's still a max thrill attraction IMO. And I'm ok with that. I get my major ultra thrill coaster fix from Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks. When I go to either Universal or Disney (which I consider "Theme" parks), I'm looking for the more unique/immersive attractions and experiences I can't get from the monster coaster parks (which I consider "Amusement" parks).

Last edited:
Very true, but given both American universal parks really honed in on it I think they are good for a while

From everything that's rumored for Epic Universe, I think it's a good mix of something for everyone, with a bit of a slant towards younger I'd say (most likely to better compete with Disney).

Alicia Stella's reporting (Theme Park Stop) who I've always found to be quite accurate in her predictions (although things do change as time goes on) has this as the current rumoured set of attractions:

The Hub:
Launched Racing Coasters - max thrill rollercoaster
Carousel (using new patended hydraulic system) - All ages appropriate

Super Nintendo World:
Mario Kart Ride - Dark ride we're familiar with (since it's already opened in Japan). Height requirement in Japan is 36 inches so this skews younger (like 4 year olds could ride it)
Yoshi's ride - Omnimover we're familiar with (since it's already opened in Japan). This has no height requirements so it's low thriss and for anyone
Donkey Kong Mine Cart Coaster - This is a new ride system where the real track is hidden while the cart rides on a "fake" track that you can see. This is speculated to be more of a family friendly coaster but with indoor dark ride elements.

Classic Monster's Land:
"Kuka Arm" Ride - an attraction using similar ride vehicle that Forbidden Journey uses, but in a new/different way. Speculated to be a similar high thrill level to Forbidden Journey. So possibly 48" height requirement and higher thrill
Indoor Mack "Spinner" Coaster - This is a new/recent rumor and replacing a previously planned theatre attraction. If it's similar to other Mack spinning coasters it's a medium thrill attraction

Wizarding World:
Ministry of Magic Dark Ride - This is rumored to be a ride that combines the "Scoop" ride vehicle with a new elevator ride system patent. Expected to be medium thrill level
Possibly a 2nd attraction - originally was planned for 2 attractions (the second being a broom riding VR attraction), but the 2nd is now rumored to be going where Fear Factor Live was in USF. But something still might get added back to Epic.

How To Train Your Dragon Land:
Boat Battle Ride - If it's similar to other Mack Splash Battle rides this will be accessible to all ages
Dragon Launch Coaster - Rumored to be medium thrill attraction with some indoor portions with thrill level close to Hagrid's
Sky Fly Ride - One of these types https://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/en/products/flat-rides/sky-fly so probably adolescent level ride I'd guess
Large play area - akin to Camp Jurassic or the play area in Kidzone
Indoor Theatre show - all ages obviously

So 13 (or maybe 14) main attractions planned currently for opening day, with lots of open land for expansion (Huge chunks of land next to Nintendo and Wizarding World, and an expansion spot for Monsters). For comparison, Islands of Adventure currently has 16 (it opened with 8 main attractions), and USF currently has 13 (it opened with only a handful). So for me 13 or 14 attractions for Epic is a great start.

As for things for toddlers from the list it seems like nearly 1/2 of them will be toddler accessible with lots of things to do.

As for a monster coaster like a 300' RMC, I just don't see it happening. They had the opportunity (and originally planned) for Velocicoaster to be much taller, but decided against it and built it much shorter, but it's still a max thrill attraction IMO. And I'm ok with that. I get my major ultra thrill coaster fix from Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks. When I go to either Universal or Disney (which I consider "Theme" parks), I'm looking for the more unique/immersive attractions and experiences I can't get from the monster coaster parks (which I consider "Amusement" parks).
Maybe the addition of Mack spinning coaster
will more than a mid thrill coaster. Seeing its in classic monsters land they could theme it to be very scary and go for a very intense spinner something like the ride to happiness that Mack opened last summer at Plopsland in Belgium that ride has 6 inversions and from all the critics reviews I seen a top 10 in world coaster.

Maybe the success of that ride and fact they all ready getting another Mack ride and can get a good multi deal is reason for change. An extreme spinning coaster mainly in dark with haunting music and monster anomontrics hasn't been done before and would do justice to classic monsters, more than a family spinner as with taller height requirement they haven't got to tone down theming worrying about upsetting smaller children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter