"Unleash the Villains" mayhem - Disney Parks Blog up if you want to comment

My family and I were at MK this year for the Monstrous Summer all-nighter, and our experience there sounds pretty similar to the experiences people had at this event. Absolutely horrendous crowds, no direction whatsoever on the cast members' part, and just an overall underprepared event. It took us 45 minutes to get from the hub to the train station at the front of the park. That is nuts! We left after Wishes was over, didn't even bother to stick around longer for the dance parties. Too much chaos. Although I must say, up until Wishes started, the park did not seem too crazy to us. We arrived around 7 and rode Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and Buzz without too much of a hassle.

I have to agree with PP's about Disney just not getting it through their heads that events like this are going to draw an obsurd amount of crowds. There needs to be way way waaaaay more preparation and planning going on behind the scenes before these things are put on. I don't blame the cast members here at all either. I'm sure most of them were doing as much as they could under the circumstances and with the information they were given. Also, there should be a cut-off for when alcohol can be purchased within the park. They do that at the baseball stadium near where I live, for crying out loud. Falling-down drunk people during an event with crowds of this magnitude is just not cool.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but just wanted to throw my two cents in. I hope Disney eventually figures out how to put on events like this, because I would love to go to one and enjoy myself in the future.

We were right in line next to that spot and saw your DD

She was practically the overall hit of the night in all of DHS!!

I agree! I was towards the back of the Jafar/Oogie Boogie line, and everyone around me was gushing about your daughter. Her costume was awesome.

On another note, I wanted to vent that we waited in line 2.5 hours to meet Oogie Boogie, and we were almost the last group to meet at his first set. The character handler wouldn't let us take any separate pictures as she stated they were in a hurry, which would be understandable if we hadn't witnessed several groups prior to us splitting up. She insisted on using our camera, and not only did none of the pictures turn out (blurry, or bad shadows), but I just went to view our PhotoPass card from the event, and what do you know - the site is claiming "there are no photos associated with this ID." What a massive waste of time. The only good things about that night were the firework show, our TSM FP+ time, our 50s PT reservation (they took us about 25 minutes early!), AND staying at the Beach Club, so we avoided the parking lot hassles.

I agree! I was towards the back of the Jafar/Oogie Boogie line, and everyone around me was gushing about your daughter. Her costume was awesome.

On another note, I wanted to vent that we waited in line 2.5 hours to meet Oogie Boogie, and we were almost the last group to meet at his first set. The character handler wouldn't let us take any separate pictures as she stated they were in a hurry, which would be understandable if we hadn't witnessed several groups prior to us splitting up. She insisted on using our camera, and not only did none of the pictures turn out (blurry, or bad shadows), but I just went to view our PhotoPass card from the event, and what do you know - the site is claiming "there are no photos associated with this ID." What a massive waste of time. The only good things about that night were the firework show, our TSM FP+ time, our 50s PT reservation (they took us about 25 minutes early!), AND staying at the Beach Club, so we avoided the parking lot hassles.

You need to contact Photopass. They might be able to recover your photos. If you do that online you can upload one of your pictures (even if they are bad) to help them identify you.

Good luck!

You need to contact Photopass. They might be able to recover your photos. If you do that online you can upload one of your pictures (even if they are bad) to help them identify you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! We've never purchased the PhotoPass pics before, but I was interested in these, since, you know, rare character. I'll try to contact them.

None of the pics on our Photopass turned out good w/ Maleficent :( The crowd in background - zoomed out and blurry. The one above I took w/ my cellphone. I was disappointed.

I was just at unleash the villains last Friday and it was horrendously busy. Tried to get from hoop de doo to HS on bus but bus driver said it was taking 2 hours to get there. So he diverted us to boardwalk where we caught the ferry. It was pretty cool as the main avenue was turned into a club with huge vid screens and blaring music. Not really for the small kids but glad to say we did it.

None of the pics on our Photopass turned out good w/ Maleficent :( The crowd in background - zoomed out and blurry. The one above I took w/ my cellphone. I was disappointed.

I can't see any pic that you posted, do you have a link? I'd love to see the pic! :)

I can't see any pic that you posted, do you have a link? I'd love to see the pic! :)

Here it is :)

20130913_205614.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Read somewhere (maybe here, maybe another blog) that nearly half the attendees at the WDW Villains event were cast members.

Also that Disneyland blocked cast members from attending, but WDW did not. Disneyland does tend to have more local visitors than WDW.

I can't help but wonder how it would have gone if cast members were blocked from attending. Or if they'd had it on a day when they didn't also have a Halloween party at MK.

A blog did say WDW executives were in attendance, while the Disneyland execs were not.

Read somewhere (maybe here, maybe another blog) that nearly half the attendees at the WDW Villains event were cast members.

Also that Disneyland blocked cast members from attending, but WDW did not. Disneyland does tend to have more local visitors than WDW.

I can't help but wonder how it would have gone if cast members were blocked from attending. Or if they'd had it on a day when they didn't also have a Halloween party at MK.

A blog did say WDW executives were in attendance, while the Disneyland execs were not.

They actually blocked out cast by 8pm but it was too late by then, the damage was done. I think it would have gone just as bad because so many ppl were trying to get to the park or didn't go to the park after hearing how bad it was. The cast would have been replaced by regular guests and that might have been even worse in terms of complaints/complaining.

Please I'm not trying at all to be snarky. But doesn't the Halloween party have villians as important part of the festivities. Perhaps they should have more villans meet and greets at the Halloween party. They have the mix and mingle for them.

I guess I am alone as not wanting another hard ticket event. I am a passholder.
Just another night I have to pay extra again to get into the park.
If they do make this a hard ticket event at least give AP holders a better discount.

I believe that a lot of people were there because
A). villians.
B). It was NOT a hard ticket event.

Add them more at the Halloween party

Everybody keeps talking in terms of a hard ticket event like MNSSHP, but what about as a series of special event weekends like Star Wars Weekends? Would that help spread the crowds out and keep it open to everybody? How did the SWW start? Was there ever a limited-time/one-time version of SWW?

Everybody keeps talking in terms of a hard ticket event like MNSSHP, but what about as a series of special event weekends like Star Wars Weekends? Would that help spread the crowds out and keep it open to everybody? How did the SWW start? Was there ever a limited-time/one-time version of SWW?

I was there, and while the stage show and fireworks were great the rest was something of a disaster. Especially the character greet! Changed my vacation dates for it :sad2:

Hopefully it finally woke up Disney that Villains are probably one of it's biggest fan bases and it's money in the bank. Duplicating SWW is the perfect way to go, for all the reasons above. They already have the "set-up" down pat, just need to change the theme and decor. Rather than folks lining up at 4am for a fastpass to meet a movie star, they can get a fastpass to meet Oogie, Dr. Facilier and other very rare ones. Have a few each weekend, just like SWW.

I'll even throw in a vote for mid January to mid February between busy seasons to help fill those rooms.

PS I also came for the 24 hour event in May and it was great. No huge crowds, no issues, partied all night - only sad they ran out of most sizes of tshirts so early.

A couple of things...Disney can't keep claiming ignorance on these things. People waited 3 hours at DTD last fall to meet Jack & Sally. The ToT hard-ticket was a disaster too. It's very unmagical to feel they don't care about the gust as much as the bottom dollar, but...

It's not exactly as easy as SWW, since I think most people would rather see the villains at night--it's just creepier that way. Hard to do that during normal hours, although doing it in winter months would help, but it still puts them into extended hours. Also, SWW isn't perfect, either--they still do character roulette, which is just maddening. Do they really think we should stand in hour+ lines for "somebody"?? If I just saw the same character earlier, that's an insane waste of my time.

I'd rather see it as a hard ticket so the numbers can be limited; Id rather pay and know I was going to get something, than be free but the lines be so nuts that I didn't get to do anything. This is especially true for less frequent visitors. However, I can totally see the AP holders' point. Maybe all the AP holders should start a campaign for their passes to include one night at each major multi-night hard-ticket event. I don't see Disney responding, but at least it's something concrete to shoot for.

Interesting....

I received a phone call in response to my email requesting the villain pics/autographs and the CM said they were working getting those from the entertainment department. She apologized and had her script down pat along with the calm soothing voice. LOL

She said they never expected that type of response since none of the other LtM events had drawn such crowds. I certainly hope they really didn't base preparation off those other events! No one is planning a trip around love week or whatever but they would (and did!) for the villains event especially when there is also the Halloween party to attend.

Anyway, I'm just glad they are working to honor the promise of the pics for those who couldn't see all the villains they had hoped to.

I'll even throw in a vote for mid January to mid February between busy seasons to help fill those rooms. .

I was thinking Jan - Feb would be good time to do it too! Slower months, no really marketable holidays until Easter. Not to mention it would be nice and cool weather unlike SWW or September.

delmar411 said:
Interesting....

I received a phone call in response to my email requesting the villain pics/autographs and the CM said they were working getting those from the entertainment department. She apologized and had her script down pat along with the calm soothing voice. LOL

She said they never expected that type of response since none of the other LtM events had drawn such crowds. I certainly hope they really didn't base preparation off those other events! No one is planning a trip around love week or whatever but they would (and did!) for the villains event especially when there is also the Halloween party to attend.

Anyway, I'm just glad they are working to honor the promise of the pics for those who couldn't see all the villains they had hoped to.

I got a call today avout my email too. I missed the call but i will talk to them tomorrow. Im expecting the same speech lol

Interesting....

I got a call today avout my email too. I missed the call but i will talk to them tomorrow. Im expecting the same speech lol

I got a call as well and she sent me the code for the free download of all Villains (except Hades) thru the photopass site. Where you write the photopass card code just put: FRDY-13TH-VLLN-PRTY then you can download them to your computer and print or share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter