Updated - Twirl Mania 2010!!!

Hey everyone -- Our head coach ran into one of you at the competition.

Shanna did ok but not so well in her 2 best events (solo and 2-baton) I'm guessing we need to re-think the idea of her not competing in those events here at home (which we were doing to avoid her moving up too fast) So, she placed 7th in Beg. 7 to 9 pageant (9th in solo - she was pretty disappointed -- I stopped counting drops when she got to 8)

I think some of the group were disappointed with the organization of the competition, but not as much as other mothers that I spoke to (especially those whose daughters were trying out for the evening parades) I'm not too happy with the fact that Shanna had to scratch 2 events to do the afternoon parade - nobody else from our group did the parades because of the conflict. Couldn't they have the parades on other days?

By the way, I did try to add an extra day to our park tickets at the park. I found out that Twirlmania only paid $138 for our 5 day passes -- that's a lot less than we paid for them. :confused3

Just saw that they have posted the dates for Twirlmania next year and they are NOT on President's Day Weekend (the weekend after)

That works out great for us, since we'll have our vacation after the competition now -- much better once the stress is off.

We just got back home yesterday as we decided to make a family vacation while being in Disney and had so much fun!

I do agree that many things were very disorganized! I was not happy with the parade times and how the night parade suddenly at the last minute got changed. Our baton corp has decided not to return next year as of now...things could change. It was just too much to get ready for every year.

My daughters group ended up taking first place for their age group, and I think (I couldn't really keep up with all the different awards) they also took first place for both parades and some other things as well. We were all very proud parents!

One more thing, my family members all had a big problem getting into Hollywood Studios for the awards ceremony because we were told that if they used their ticket for just that one event they would not be charged a day on their ticket. That apparently was not true. In order to get into the park at 7:30 that night they made them put their ticket in the machine and ended up loosing a day until they complained to Disney about it. Disney ended up giving them a 1 day ticket to make up for it, but also said that Twirlmania had no right listing such information about not being charged a day. :confused3

Just saw that they have posted the dates for Twirlmania next year and they are NOT on President's Day Weekend (the weekend after)

That works out great for us, since we'll have our vacation after the competition now -- much better once the stress is off.

Wow, you are right, it's the 19-22 next year and we are off on the 15th. I doubt we will be able to attend as Tal will have to miss too much school.

Congrats to the good results everyone. I figure any placement is good since the competition is so tough!:thumbsup2

We just got back home yesterday as we decided to make a family vacation while being in Disney and had so much fun!

I do agree that many things were very disorganized! I was not happy with the parade times and how the night parade suddenly at the last minute got changed. Our baton corp has decided not to return next year as of now...things could change. It was just too much to get ready for every year.

My daughters group ended up taking first place for their age group, and I think (I couldn't really keep up with all the different awards) they also took first place for both parades and some other things as well. We were all very proud parents!

One more thing, my family members all had a big problem getting into Hollywood Studios for the awards ceremony because we were told that if they used their ticket for just that one event they would not be charged a day on their ticket. That apparently was not true. In order to get into the park at 7:30 that night they made them put their ticket in the machine and ended up loosing a day until they complained to Disney about it. Disney ended up giving them a 1 day ticket to make up for it, but also said that Twirlmania had no right listing such information about not being charged a day. :confused3

Quite a few people from our group had problems with their tickets -- ours never worked properly in the card readers (even though we had them reprinted) and half the group's tickets did not have the additional passes to WWoS on them. Since we had been doing the water parks before the competition, they found out as they were trying to get into WWoS that they had no passes left.

We scratched 2 events to do the afternoon parade -- hated that -- but at least we did not have to make a choice between pageant and a group parade routine (which some people had to)

Still, I looooved being warm for 10 days.

Wow, you are right, it's the 19-22 next year and we are off on the 15th. I doubt we will be able to attend as Tal will have to miss too much school.

Congrats to the good results everyone. I figure any placement is good since the competition is so tough!:thumbsup2

Darn! I hadn't thought about that! Bummer. Shanna wasn't supposed to be off on any of the days we were there (but they had 3 snow days while we were there) but since she is much younger, it doesn't make any difference with school. Actually the teacher sent us with her blessing because she is such a chatterbox when she's bored. :rolleyes1

A baton twirling athlete was selected for feature in a sporting section of a magazine. This section highlights female athletes teaching their sport to magazine staff. Unfortuately, that section was sponsored by Reebok and Reebok cancelled the selected athlete. The reason given was "baton twirling is not a sport". Although they have previously used a dancing cheerleader, who did no stunts or gymnastics. OK.......

Please go to this you tube link to view the baton sport video and take a second to post your comment. Even if that comment is only "COOL" or a one word response. We want to show how many people are out there that either twirl, have family involved in baton or that support baton as a sport. Your time would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFP84tYezY

A baton twirling athlete was selected for feature in a sporting section of a magazine. This section highlights female athletes teaching their sport to magazine staff. Unfortuately, that section was sponsored by Reebok and Reebok cancelled the selected athlete. The reason given was "baton twirling is not a sport". Although they have previously used a dancing cheerleader, who did no stunts or gymnastics. OK.......

Please go to this you tube link to view the baton sport video and take a second to post your comment. Even if that comment is only "COOL" or a one word response. We want to show how many people are out there that either twirl, have family involved in baton or that support baton as a sport. Your time would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqFP84tYezY

Thanks Dyan. Just forwarded it to our club email network. :rolleyes1

Hey...How is everyone doing???? We are going through try-outs at the moment...and will begin back on individuals in July. The coach and I decided to rework Victoria's solo and strut..

Is anyone thinking of twirlmania yet?? I am a little slow and just noticed they changed the dates. It is a weekend later.Hopefully, it will help with hotel rates.

I just the link posted about reebok to our group...what a shame...I cannot believe I havent checked this thread in months...Anyone on facebook?

Hope all is welll...

We're doing fine. Shanna had a bit of a set-back in her regular events because she was working on a new freestyle -- we only see her coach for about 1/2 hour every second week and really didn't have time to work on anything else. So we're regrouping now to get her ready for the next season, learning how to work gymnastics into her twirling (very few girls do that here) A little disappointed that she just missed that one more win to move up to Intermediate -- would have made the parade schedule easier to work with (Shanna had to skip auxilliary events to do the Beginner parade in 2008 and 2009)

Just got the email from Twirlmania -- they're parading in MK and DHS next year? Maybe the schedule will change anyway.

We're definitely going to Twirlmania in 2010, as are at least 2 other girls (not a team event next year) We're actually looking at buying a timeshare or 2, but not sure if it will be in time for next year. Still planning to stay at ASMusic during competition though, to be near the other twirlers.

Our next team event will be AYOP -- does anybody also go to that?

We're on Facebook, as is our club: Halifax Sparklettes Majorettes.

Hey all!!! Glad to see you checking in! Good luck with Victoria's try-outs!:wizard: And good luck to Shanna at AYOP!:wizard:

Heavy training schedule here! Talya is practicing 4 days a week from 9-6 and starting next week she will be going 8 days straight in preparation for Nationals. We go to USTA Nationals which is in Arizona this year.

She had a good rest of the season and is working really hard to catch her toss cartwheel, it hit her hand 3 times today!

We are not going to Twirlmania next year as we will have the added expense of trying out for International Cup 2011 next summer and Talya will be doing Pre-Trials in two different Regions. I am planning on going back to Twirlmania the year after...:)

Does anyone twirl NBTA? I looked at the website and cannot find a contact page or how to join. We are exploring different organazations..

Thanks

The 2010 Twirlmania brochure came yesterday!:cool1: I wasn't planning on going, but then I saw my DD on the front cover and I think I will be there!:banana: Anyone else going?:confused:

How cool your dd was on the cover... We will be there. Victoria will be competing as individual and with her teams.

Yup -- we'll be there. We haven't got the book yet so I can't wait to see your DD's picture (that must have been great for her to see)

We love the change in the day parades, since it means my DD doesn't have to skip the auxilliary events. But is anybody planning to do the DHS private party? IMO it's more expensive than adding another day to our tickets so we'll want to know what will be open that night.

And most of the links still aren't finished -- odd, since they were all ready long before this time last year. They still haven't got the hotel info up. Does it have that in your book?

Yup -- we'll be there. We haven't got the book yet so I can't wait to see your DD's picture (that must have been great for her to see)

We love the change in the day parades, since it means my DD doesn't have to skip the auxilliary events. But is anybody planning to do the DHS private party? IMO it's more expensive than adding another day to our tickets so we'll want to know what will be open that night.

And most of the links still aren't finished -- odd, since they were all ready long before this time last year. They still haven't got the hotel info up. Does it have that in your book?

I just checked and the hotel info in the book is All-Satr Music is $116.00 a night and POP is $134.00 a night. If you want to number to book it I can send it to you. I just booked a room off property. I have always stayed on property, but this time it was a huge price difference and that makes a difference this year. We are planning on doing the party as it sounds like soemthing different and exciting!:banana:

I just checked and the hotel info in the book is All-Satr Music is $116.00 a night and POP is $134.00 a night. If you want to number to book it I can send it to you. I just booked a room off property. I have always stayed on property, but this time it was a huge price difference and that makes a difference this year. We are planning on doing the party as it sounds like soemthing different and exciting!:banana:

Thanks Dyan -- I love the idea of staying at Pop for a change but Shanna refuses to give up the poolside movies so it will likely be ASMu (don't worry about the phone number -- we still have that from last year's book, but we had to know which resorts were available before we called -- for some reason, they never know that info :confused3) This year we stayed there on the 4/3 deal and were still able to stay in the twirler section -- I'm hoping there'll be a deal this year too because that saved us a lot of money.

We bought a TS at Cypress Pointe Resort so we'll likely be staying there our 2nd week if we can get a reservation -- it just closed.

I have no experience with these private party nights except for the Pirates and Princesses party, and then they had all of the same rides open as they would for EMH. Any idea where we could find out more about it? It does sound like it would be very special. :goodvibes

princess:Hi my dd just turned 5 and is going to compete this year for her first time. She has been working hard on that pee wee show routine :lovestruc
We are staying at SSR arriving on the 17th...can't wait!pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter