Upgrade to AP

Live life

Earning My Ears
Hi all
Long time lurker first post.
I'm heading to Disneyland in September to run my first half marathon!
I'm going to have the 10 day pass. Does anyone know if you can upgrade this pass to a AP?
And if you can how much extra it might cost.
Trying to work out if I should just buy the AP instead of the 10day and upgrade.

Thanks
Have a great day

I'm not sure if you'd be able to. Usually when they upgrade a ticket, they use the difference between the base cost of the ticket you purchased, and the cost of the ticket you're upgrading to. Because Disney does not actually sell the 10 day pass, I'm not sure they could work out the difference.
Not 100% sure though.

Welcome! I'm going in September for the half too!

I did exactly that last year - purchased the 10 day hopper and upgraded to an AP. It was a fair chunk extra. Like $200 or something. It's really only worth it if you're planning to use it for onsite hotel discounts, you're there for a couple of weeks, or you're planning to use it again. If you're planning to use it for onsite hotel discounts, you'll need to purchase one now instead of the 10 day pass so that you can access the discounts. Your pass registers the first time you use it. Because this obviously won't be until you're there, you'd need to call Disney hotel reservations and let them know your AP situation. Be aware that onsite hotel availability is EXTREMELY limited for that time already.

Also be aware that the Saturday and Sunday of half marathon weekend are block out days for the deluxe AP. There is a loophole that allows you to access the parks on a black out day if that is the day that you purchase/upgrade your pass. Last year I upgraded mine on the Saturday so I was able to go in after the 10k. We left on the Sunday for a road trip before returning to DLR later, so missing out on that day wasn't an issue. Obviously if you do this, you don't get the AP discounts until you upgrade.

Without knowing your circumstances (how long you'll be there for and whether you might have another trip planned within the year), I would tell you to really do your sums before deciding on an AP. It's a lot of money.

Just on accommodation, make sure you book yours ASAP as availability is already limited for lots of the close places.

Hi
Thank you for all that info.
As I'm going to be there for 11 days and hope to go next year, a AP might be a good idea.
As for the hotel I booked that last year :rolleyes1
You might think I was excited or something.
Now I just have to train for the half :scared:

Oh good to hear you've already got your accommodation locked in. We've had ours booked for a long time already too! Where are you staying?

If you were only going for the 11 days, I would say stick with the 10 day pass. But if you're planning to go again, it's probably worth going for an AP. Just make sure you are fully aware of all the blockout days and how they might affect both trips. You'll need to either plan to buy a separate ticket to cover those, or plan to do something else on those days.

Personally, I would try to get to the parks on the Sunday (maybe you can use that day to upgrade and take advantage of that loophole?). There is NOTHING better than walking around the parks flashing your newly earned medal :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter