Upgrading room at the port

pearljammer

DIS Veteran
I’ve never done this so hoping those who have recently can provide insight. We currently have a GTY inside stateroom. When we receive the # and perhaps aren’t crazy about it (as there does seem to still be quite a few inside rooms not assigned yet and the sailing is Nov), who here has upgraded at the port? If so, did you find it to be crazy pricey to do so? Compared to say….calling and doing it over the phone before sail date? I wouldn’t mind a verandah but I don’t know if you are getting a deal by doing so going this route? Insight would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

I’ve never done this so hoping those who have recently can provide insight. We currently have a GTY inside stateroom. When we receive the # and perhaps aren’t crazy about it (as there does seem to still be quite a few inside rooms not assigned yet and the sailing is Nov), who here has upgraded at the port? If so, did you find it to be crazy pricey to do so? Compared to say….calling and doing it over the phone before sail date? I wouldn’t mind a verandah but I don’t know if you are getting a deal by doing so going this route? Insight would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
If you call (say, the day before the cruise) and upgrade you'll pay more than if you wait until departure date and look to see if you can upgrade AT THE PORT.

The chart for upgrading at the port is based on the original price you paid and what they want to change for the price of the room you're upgrading to. There's no set price, it varies from ship to ship/cruise to cruise. But it's typically less than the upgrade cost the day before the cruise.

If you call (say, the day before the cruise) and upgrade you'll pay more than if you wait until departure date and look to see if you can upgrade AT THE PORT.

The chart for upgrading at the port is based on the original price you paid and what they want to change for the price of the room you're upgrading to. There's no set price, it varies from ship to ship/cruise to cruise. But it's typically less than the upgrade cost the day before the cruise.
Okay, thank you. I remember reading at one time folks would do that. It will be interesting to see just how much that’s going to be.

Okay, thank you. I remember reading at one time folks would do that. It will be interesting to see just how much that’s going to be.
Also you need to be aware that there might not be any rooms to upgrade to, if you wait until embarkation day.

When you modify your reservation before the cruise, all passengers are charged the current (higher) rate for the new room, like if it was a new reservation.

When you upgrade at the port, you are charged based on the starting and target rooms, regardless of the number of passengers. If in a small party, it will not seem like much of a deal most of the time, but if you are upgrading 4 or 5 guests, the difference will be important and it will seem like more of a deal. As @PrincessShmoo wrote, the cost will be determined off a chart that is not publicized and that is specific to your cruise.

Odds of upgrading at the port are slim and most guests trying to do so are faced with the ‘no upgrades available‘ sign.

Thanks all. No worries. I absolutely understand the risk of a GTY, we’ve done it before. I also understand pricing if sooner than embarkation day; which is why that’s a no go. Also understand it may not be available but may be open to others depending on what we’re assigned. I was more curious as to those who have been successful; especially in the past year, did they find the upcharge reasonable? Interested.

We upgraded once within the past year. I'm sorry that I can't remember the amount but it was on a 5 night cruise from an ocean view to a regular verandah. When I originally went to the desk they said that there was nothing available but that they could put us on a wait list in case something opened up. About an hour later we were notified that there was a room available and I thought the upgrade price was reasonable. The staff were really nice and our original room steward even helped us move our things.

We’ve done it twice. Went from an oceanview window room to a verandah for $145 total for a 3 night cruise Dream. We did that at port. The second time there was a sign at the desk of a full ship so we put our name on a waitlist on the ship at guest services and also stated we would pay for the upgraded room. It was $75 to go from a 7A verandah deck 5 aft
To 7A deck 6 forward. We had to wait until all aboard and got a call at 4:30pm with the upgrade offer which we gladly took. We had to get new keys at guest services and haul our bags to the new room since the checked luggage had already arrived but it was worth it. That was a 6 night Fantasy. Both rooms we upgraded were FL resident GTY and both last year 2022.

On our B2B on the Disney Dream a while ago . . . we originally booked an inside cabin as we were curious about the then-new "Magical Portholes" . . . plus we wanted to save some $$$'s.

While my wife and son didn't seem to I mind, I realized I really like/want to see the horizon occasionally, so this wasn't such a great deal for me.

We upgraded for the 2nd leg to a window'd cabin very far forward in a corner (6006?) . It was an unused Disability Access room as it was quite large, with a roll-in shower. It was not "a deal", but the price was fair -- about what one would expect to go from an inside to a window'd (not verandah'd) cabin. Most importantly, it made the 2nd part of the cruise a bit more pleasant.

We were on the Wish in November. My sister had a room with the porthole. She decided she wanted a verandah room. So at that port, I think window #15(?), she inquired if there were any available, and there were, and it only cost her about $300 more, if I'm thinking correctly. It was very reasonable. I also upgraded to a 1 bedroom, expensive, but not nearly as expensive if I had upgraded before the cruise.

The tread is pretty informative so far but @pearljammer you did not share any dates/itinerary information. As stated by others, there is usually pretty limited opportunity to upgrade at the port. With being in an inside cabin the number of staterooms might be low but the larger pool of categories above an inside are an advantage. Someone in a Veranda can only upgrade to a higher veranda or concierge. You have all of the ocean view, veranda and concierge above so even if there is limited supply you might find a way to make even a small jump.

Is is usually best to try earlier, but if someone in an ocean view or lower veranda jumps up during the day that could open a spot for you to move up. Even if you boarded check in at guest services to see if something might have opened above your stateroom category.

The tread is pretty informative so far but @pearljammer you did not share any dates/itinerary information. As stated by others, there is usually pretty limited opportunity to upgrade at the port. With being in an inside cabin the number of staterooms might be low but the larger pool of categories above an inside are an advantage. Someone in a Veranda can only upgrade to a higher veranda or concierge. You have all of the ocean view, veranda and concierge above so even if there is limited supply you might find a way to make even a small jump.

Is is usually best to try earlier, but if someone in an ocean view or lower veranda jumps up during the day that could open a spot for you to move up. Even if you boarded check in at guest services to see if something might have opened above your stateroom category.
Hi Scoot. Correct, I was intentionally vague as it’s irrelevant when my cruise is. I’m bright enough to know a highly booked cruise such as Thanksgiving, etc. is less likely. I was merely interested in anyone’s feedback who has upgraded in the past year at the port, if they found the costs to be more of a cost savings than if they had done so over the phone prior to sailing. I do realize you are booking shown price when doing so earlier than port which is why that isn’t an option. I’ve never entertained the thought so curious for those with experience. I also realize the more obvious, like…..depends on availability, etc. I was expecting responses such as one person who stated they upgraded for $300, etc. Given I’m GTY at the bottom of the barrel, I can only go up.

Thanks for sharing all the things you did know. The point of my post was just reviewing your situation, in order to really share that the option to upgrade really does not end once you have boarded. With the number of cabin options that could open up above an inside cabin, even a small upgrade might be of interest.

We have been able to get a few upgrades over the years from small jumps like one veranda type to another veranda type, all the way up to the Walt Suite. We were able to upgrade to a 1 br concierge 19 hrs after boarding. So timing when you stop at the upgrade desk or checking at different times can be beneficial, not just before the cruise.

Good luck to you and have fun whenever and whatever you do..

We just returned from a September cruise VGY. Our room was fantastic and spoiled us. Our next cruise is November 2024 and we have a designated room but we're gonna ask to see if our GTY room is available. LOL

Thanks for sharing all the things you did know. The point of my post was just reviewing your situation, in order to really share that the option to upgrade really does not end once you have boarded. With the number of cabin options that could open up above an inside cabin, even a small upgrade might be of interest.

We have been able to get a few upgrades over the years from small jumps like one veranda type to another veranda type, all the way up to the Walt Suite. We were able to upgrade to a 1 br concierge 19 hrs after boarding. So timing when you stop at the upgrade desk or checking at different times can be beneficial, not just before the cruise.

Great points you’ve made there. Thank you. Should be interesting!!

Are you saying you stopped by guest services and asked about upgrades the 2nd day of your cruise (or were they contacting you off of the upgrade waitlist from the port)? Just curious as it would be helpful to know if there may be a benefit from asking on board after the first day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter