using DVC points

bobbidiboo

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has used their DVC member points to do an adventure? If so was it easy to book and what about the transportation does ABD do this for DVC members too? I know it takes a lot of points but that is how DH and I get to go to other fun places every couple of years!
Thanks

Booking was a piece of cake. And yep, the transportation from the airport of your destination is included, even if you use points to book (as well as transpartation back to the airport). All we have to do is get to/from your departure airport.

I'm considering the Wyoming (Tetons/Yellowstone) trip for next summer. Can a trip be booked with a mix of DVC points and cash? In other words, I could put together points for one adult but not for all four of us. If so, how easy/difficult is it to do this?

I'm considering the Wyoming (Tetons/Yellowstone) trip for next summer. Can a trip be booked with a mix of DVC points and cash? In other words, I could put together points for one adult but not for all four of us. If so, how easy/difficult is it to do this?

Wondering this too!! My parents are going to do this too...

My DW and I did a DVC tour last December. I saw that the Adventures by Disney were on some of the maps, but I did not see a point list anywhere. Is that one of those things they only give to you after you join? What is the cost in points for one of the US trips?

The point totals went up on December 2, so I'm not sure what they are now. (Checking....) The tours range from 270 to 446 per person value season, 300 to 496 per person regular season.

Here is my math on DVC points for adventures... If an adult "ticket" is say 468 points and a point has an easy cash rental value of $10... then the value of the points you are using to purchase one adult adventure is $4,680. In actuality, you can call Disney and pay $3800 and change. Pretty easy solution for me... sell your points, buy the adventure in cash and come out way way ahead. Same goes for the Cruises most of the time.

Someone tell me where I'm wrong here?

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has used their DVC member points to do an adventure? If so was it easy to book and what about the transportation does ABD do this for DVC members too? I know it takes a lot of points but that is how DH and I get to go to other fun places every couple of years!
Thanks

Here is my math on DVC points for adventures... If an adult "ticket" is say 468 points and a point has an easy cash rental value of $10... then the value of the points you are using to purchase one adult adventure is $4,680. In actuality, you can call Disney and pay $3800 and change. Pretty easy solution for me... sell your points, buy the adventure in cash and come out way way ahead. Same goes for the Cruises most of the time.

Someone tell me where I'm wrong here?

I read on a piece of their literature that they value each DVC point at $5. I'm with you--rent your points to someone easily for $10/pt and you come out way ahead.

We have gone down the renting points process and just a word of experience. So many people throw around the idea that renting points is just a piece of cake. That is not true.

Adminstratively, working with renters for their dates and prefernces is time consuming. People also break their promises when it is in their interest and we have seen this. Even when you have a rental contract, it is time consuming enforcing your rights.

There are lots of people renting their points for much less than $10. I agree that DVC values its points differently than we do, but when you actually try to rent a large number of points and if you value your time/brain damage - the spread is not as bad as folks make it out to be. As other posters have said, it is seamless and easy to pay for one of the adults with points and the rest with cash.

We used both cash and points to book our Viva Italia trip for June this year. It is easy to book using points, but there are a few things that are different in the booking process when you use points:

1. You have to call MS instead of ABD. MS takes your information, confirms availability of the trip, points/cost and then transfers the call to ABD to complete the reservation.
2. When we booked we called ABD, but the trip was sold out for the early booking discount. However, booking through MS they were able to book the same trip and we got the early booking discount.
3. You have to pay for the cash portion in total when you make the reservation.
4. If you want trip insurance, you only have 24 hours from the time of the reservation to call and purchase. This is extremely important. We learned the hard way. We booked on a Saturday, and didn't call right after making the reservations...we were celebrating. We wanted the insurance, but TravelGuard was closed on Sunday and by Monday we were outside the 24 hours period to purchase. After almost a week of frustration and telephone calls to MS, ABD and TravelGuard, we were able to purchase. Believe me, you don't want this to happen to you.
5. Check with MS or the Member Guidebook, but I believe the points go into holding status immediately upon confirmation of the reservation. If you cancel, the returned points cannot be used for DVC Resort reservations or World Passport exchanges, and the points expire at the end of the Use Year if they are not used. There are also other cancellation guidelines (points and cash) based on the number of days from the start of the trip that cancellation is made. This is a stiff penalty and could affect a lot of points, so it's important to make sure you can go before making the reservation.
6. There is a non-refundable $75 transaction fee for making the reservation.

MS will walk you through the entire process. They will tell you everything you need to know, but there's a lot to remember, so don't hesitate to ask questins. We are thankful we were able to use points and cash, because it made the trip more affordable for us.

I also agree with the previous poster. Renting your points is not as simple and carefree as people make it sound on these boards. For us, renting out points is not an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter