Using points at Non DVC resort

coruth4

Mouseketeer
We just closed on our DVC property through the secondary market. Our home resort is in Florida. We are planning on using our points for the first time in May 2015 to go to California. I am hearing mixed information on our luck for getting a two bedroom villa at the Grand in May. So I am trying to look at the alternatives in case we can't book there.
Since we didn't purchase directly through Disney, will be able to use points at Paradise or Disneyland Hotel? And if so - which type of room is covered? I see that each of these resorts also offer suites. I found a point chart for these resorts, but it doesn't state the room type. Is it possible for me to book a 2 bedroom at the Disneyland Hotel on points?
Thank you for all your help!

We just closed on our DVC property through the secondary market. Our home resort is in Florida. We are planning on using our points for the first time in May 2015 to go to California. I am hearing mixed information on our luck for getting a two bedroom villa at the Grand in May.

you never know till you try, but the VGC is the tiniest DVC resort and can be tough to get at 7 months out.

Since we didn't purchase directly through Disney, will be able to use points at Paradise or Disneyland Hotel?

i don't think so, no.

so if you can't get VGC at 7 months out, your best bet might be to rent your pts (yourself or using a broker like david) and paying cash for accommodations near DLR.

Being that you purchased from a secondary Market you cannot use your pts to stay at any Disney resorts other than DVC resorts.. Yes it is hard to get into VGC at 7 months, just not that many rooms. Only other thing you can't do is use your points for Disney Cruiseline

It may not be the best use of points, but there are a few RCI trade options in Anaheim.

The non-DVC units are part of the Disney collection and are not available unless you purchase through Disney. Renting a unit with points at the Disneyland hotel or Paradise Pier hotel is expensive. It costs 50 pts per night for a hotel room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa compared to 52 pts per night for a 1-bedroom villa with 2 baths, kitchen, king bed, queen pullout couch and a pull down single inbox the cabinet under the living room tv. We just stayed 3 nights at the Grand Californian villas and 2 nights in the B.C. resort hotel room with 4 adults and 3 children, 5,4 & 2. It was a fabulous resort and still cheaper than paying cash.

The non-DVC units are part of the Disney collection and are not available unless you purchase through Disney. Renting a unit with points at the Disneyland hotel or Paradise Pier hotel is expensive. It costs 50 pts per night for a hotel room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa compared to 52 pts per night for a 1-bedroom villa with 2 baths, kitchen, king bed, queen pullout couch and a pull down single inbox the cabinet under the living room tv. We just stayed 3 nights at the Grand Californian villas and 2 nights in the B.C. resort hotel room with 4 adults and 3 children, 5,4 & 2. It was a fabulous resort and still cheaper than paying cash.

What is the BC resort hotel? Are you saying you were able to use points there? This whole Disneyland thing is new for us! :confused3 Not only are we first time DVC users, we are first time Disneyland visitors!

Thank you for all the information! DisBoards is always my go-to place for questions.

if it was a hotel room, i doubt they used resale pts to book it. you might be able to book an RCI resort near newport beach in CA but that's at least a half hour from DLR...my suggestion would be to try to book or waitlist VGC and if that doesn't work out, get a cash reservation at a nearby hotel (there are a lot of semi-"onsite" hotels at DLR - not much of a "bubble" there outside of the grand californian.) if your pts stay comes through, just cancel the cash reservation.

you might also want to review this thread if you haven't already:

A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

if it was a hotel room, i doubt they used resale pts to book it. you might be able to book an RCI resort near newport beach in CA but that's at least a half hour from DLR...my suggestion would be to try to book or waitlist VGC and if that doesn't work out, get a cash reservation at a nearby hotel (there are a lot of semi-"onsite" hotels at DLR - not much of a "bubble" there outside of the grand californian.) if your pts stay comes through, just cancel the cash reservation.

you might also want to review this thread if you haven't already:

A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

Thanks for the thread link - I will check that out. We are really trying to avoid paying cash. When we purchased we already had points that are banked & if we don't use them we will loose them.
If, as a back up, we book our home resort (AKL) at the 11 month mark - how hard/impossible is it to change to Disneyland? Can we still wait list if we already have something else booked? As much as we want to go to Disneyland - Disney World is an acceptable back up plan! :lmao:

If, as a back up, we book our home resort (AKL) at the 11 month mark - how hard/impossible is it to change to Disneyland? Can we still wait list if we already have something else booked? As much as we want to go to Disneyland - Disney World is an acceptable back up plan! :lmao:

just look at the 7 month window at online availability first thing in that morning (8am EST). if VGC is available, cancel and rebook or else waitlist for VGC.

then keep an eye on airfares and decide what your cutoff is, so that you don't get stuck with the waitlist matching when airfares are too high.

coruth4 said:
What is the BC resort hotel? Are you saying you were able to use points there? This whole Disneyland thing is new for us! :confused3 Not only are we first time DVC users, we are first time Disneyland visitors!

Thank you for all the information! DisBoards is always my go-to place for questions.

Sorry, I sent this from my phone and I ment to type G.C. resort and my auto correct changed it to B.C. I was abrevating G.C. resort for Grand Californian Resort Hotel rather than the DVC villas. Normally you cannot use your points at a non -DVC resort if you purchased outside of Disney, however check with member services because since there are only 50 units at the VGC they may let you use your points at the Disneyland resort hotels.

Sorry, I sent this from my phone and I ment to type G.C. resort and my auto correct changed it to B.C. I was abrevating G.C. resort for Grand Californian Resort Hotel rather than the DVC villas. Normally you cannot use your points at a non -DVC resort if you purchased outside of Disney, however check with member services because since there are only 50 units at the VGC they may let you use your points at the Disneyland resort hotels.

Thank you! That is certainly worth looking into!

I doubt that they would do that. There was a member who bought resale and was able to book PP and posted all excited about it. They got a call later in the day saying that they made a mistake because he bought resale and they cancelled the reservation.

I doubt that they would do that. There was a member who bought resale and was able to book PP and posted all excited about it. They got a call later in the day saying that they made a mistake because he bought resale and they cancelled the reservation.

Bummer. I have another question regarding points. Can you tell I am so new to this!?
We have our banked points from the seller from Sept 2013. Our next points accrue September 2014. If I wanted to book something for May 2015 at our home resort, our booking month would be June 2014. If I only have my banked points by June - and need the Sept points for the trip - will I still be able to book? Would it be considered borrowing the Sept points? Or does it even matter? Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer all my questions!

We have our banked points from the seller from Sept 2013. Our next points accrue September 2014. If I wanted to book something for May 2015 at our home resort, our booking month would be June 2014. If I only have my banked points by June - and need the Sept points for the trip - will I still be able to book? Would it be considered borrowing the Sept points? Or does it even matter? Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer all my questions!

use year is based on when you "use" the pts for a stay - it has nothing at all to do with when you call to book.

you have all of your pts in your contract through 2042 or whatever. you do NOT wait until the start of your UY to have access to your pts.

the limits are:

1) you can only borrow pts from one UY ahead
2) you can only book a villa 11 months out at your home resort.

so here is how you think about it:

1) i am planning a stay in may 2015
2) my sept 2014 UY runs from sept 1, 2014 to aug 31, 2015
3) that period includes my may 2015 stay, so i am staying during my 2014 UY
4) when i am booking my 2014 UY, i have access to any banked 2013 UY pts plus current 2014 UY pts plus borrowed 2015 UY pts (if needed).

to repeat: even if you are staying in calendar year 2015, may 2015 is still in your 2014 UY...so throw out the calendar when trying to figure out use year...

here is more info about UY if you need it - it's probably a good idea to bookmark it:

Understanding Use Year

Bummer. I have another question regarding points. Can you tell I am so new to this!?

Right now your online account should show September 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. 2017 will show on September 1. You never have to wait for points to "deposit", any points you could possibly use are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter