Using US credit and ATM cards in Canada

leebee

DIS Veteran
DD and SIL are driving to Quebec tomorrow for Winter Carnival. We live in Maine. SIL thought he could exchange US money at the local bank for Canadian but was told they don't do that. I'm suspecting that DD can use her credit card (Chase Disney VISA) for purchases, or get cash using her her local ATM card at a Canadian bank/ATM. Will this work? Will DD need a PIN for her credit card, like she did in Europe? I'm hoping as the US and Canada share such a long border that the money issues will be fairly straightforward.

ETA: Just learned that Chase has a 3%foreign transaction fee but two other cards don't, so those'll be the cards she uses. They are both Visa cards.

Many of Chase's cards don't have the 3% FTF, but their Disney cards do, so those wouldn't be ideal for using in Canada (though at the end of the day, unless you are spending large amounts, it's not that big of a deal). Any U.S. credit card without a FTF would be preferable. And no, no PIN is needed -- use just like you would in the U.S.

In terms of cash, I don't know if the banks would sell you Canadian dollars without you having an account with them (they might), but you should be able to buy Canadian dollars at your local branch in the U.S. You could also use your ATM card to withdraw Canadian dollars in Canada, but that would also come with FTFs and likely ATM fees. Best is to use a credit card as often as you can (acceptance is high in Canada, just like in the U.S.).

Depending on how large the purchase,,some cards even here require a pin. Most in Canada are tap,,,up to a limit.
Make sure she notifies the card companies as well to let them know you are traveling so they dont stop the card as fraud.

Depending on how large the purchase,,some cards even here require a pin. Most in Canada are tap,,,up to a limit.
Make sure she notifies the card companies as well to let them know you are traveling so they dont stop the card as fraud.
U.S. cards never require a PIN (even for purchases in Canada, regardless of how large the purchase is), because the PIN on a U.S. credit card is only for cash advances at ATMs.

Tap usually has a limit, and not all stores have it. (Can vary by store)

Otherwise, you need a PIN as we use Chip & PIN, not just Chip like in the US.

Tap usually has a limit, and not all stores have it. (Can vary by store)

Otherwise, you need a PIN as we use Chip & PIN, not just Chip like in the US.
I think you are mixing things up. Canadian cards are chip + PIN, not the terminals. When you insert a U.S. card in a Canadian terminal, you do NOT need a PIN, regardless of transaction size, because U.S. cards are chip + signature. As I mentioned, U.S. cards do NOT have PINs for purchases.

I have several U.S. cards (including cards from Chase, Citi, Amex U.S., etc), and NONE of them come with PINs. I have made large transactions (i.e., >$1,000) in Canada with my U.S. cards, and they are ALL approved just by inserting the card into the terminal. Again, U.S. cards do NOT have PINs for purchases, so purchase transactions are approved without PINs in Canada.

I think you are mixing things up. Canadian cards are chip + PIN, not the terminals. When you insert a U.S. card in a Canadian terminal, you do NOT need a PIN, regardless of transaction size, because U.S. cards are chip + signature. As I mentioned, U.S. cards do NOT have PINs for purchases.

I have several U.S. cards (including cards from Chase, Citi, Amex U.S., etc), and NONE of them come with PINs. I have made large transactions (i.e., >$1,000) in Canada with my U.S. cards, and they are ALL approved just by inserting the card into the terminal. Again, U.S. cards do NOT have PINs for purchases, so purchase transactions are approved without PINs in Canada.
The bold section is what is most people are missing. Yes the cards have a chip and will work but you should expect to be *possibly* asked to sign as well. Happens with my Canadian AMEX in certain businesses as well and the cashier is usually surprised to see the message pop up. I suggest the OP mention to her family members to ask if they need to sign the receipt, it's out of the ordinary here so cashiers could get caught off guard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter