V&A - really need a sports coat?

Davids-Coco

I miss the tag fairy.
So, my darling DH doesn't own a sports coat and we are a little worried about needing it for our special evening at V&As. If we buy one, it will be a nice one and definately an investment - that we aren't exactly able to buy right now!

Anyone been recently and know if they truly inforce it? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, but a jacket IS required at V&A. If it's going to be a major investment I'd look into a blue blazer, nice, but capable of being dressed up or dressed down as the case may be. (gee, have I been watching too much Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?) Sorry to be the bearer of "bad news" but look at it this way, he can also wear it to other places around the world.

V&A's is basically the only restaurant in WDW that does enforce a dress code. I've read somewhere (the DIS perhaps) that if a man shows up without a coat, the restaurant will provide one or refuse entry (cut to images of sitcoms and maitre 'ds bringing out yellow and green plaid coats...). We've never seen this happen on any of our trips to V&A's, but I imagine it would be quite embarassing.

If you want to eat there, he's going to have to wear a jacket. It's such a nice occasion to get dressed up for; my fiance's used to spending many hours in a suit as he wears one to work every day (he's kind of a "Queer Eye" guy too). Just think, if you buy one now, he'll have it for all of your future trips to V&A's ;) .

I'd look for sales, JC Penney and macy's often have half price racks with nice jackets on them. I agree with the navy blue blazer, it can go with anything.

Anne

V&A has a nice selection of sports coats on hand for those who show up w/o one. Only seen it once myself--fellow showed up in a purple polo shirt and brown slacks--the blue sportcoat they gave him looked kinda funny with that combo.--. But it didn't seem to phase anyone and he was seated and presumably enjoyed dinner just like everyone else.
IF you do show up without a coat, I'd suggest at least wear something that a blue sportcoat would look OK with.

Just show up and say you forgot to pack your sportcoat. They'll let you borrow one. Happens all the time. I forgot to pack a sportcoat when we had plans to eat at the Empress Lily years ago.

My father just doesn't like to pack a sports jacket when traveling to WDW. He just wants to pack casual clothes. So when I made our reservation at V&A, I told them my father's jacket size. A clean jacket was waiting for him when we arrived. ( It was either black or dark navy) That may be the easiest solution for you.

Is it frowned upon to take your jacket off once seated?

UKDEB, I've never seen a gentleman remove his jacket at V&A so I don't know how they handle that but unless the AC isn't functioning, I think the expectation is to wear the jacket through dinner.

Originally posted by UKDEB

I was wondering the exact same thing! I think my dad will keep his on during the whole meal but it was something I wondered about.

I can't imagine having to wear a jacket like that all evening, even with AC. My dress will have short sleeves and is 'floaty' material.

Louise

I saw a gentleman remove his jacket only once--. It was a Pavarotti-sized gentleman who was obviously in great discomfort due to the restaurant being quite warm. I don't know if he "asked" anyone or not about the temperature (or if it would be OK to remove his coat), but at some point he removed his coat and ate the rest of the way in his shirt and suspenders.
No one on the V&A staff said a word----.

About removing the coat once you're seated, we were there a couple of weeks ago and a couple who had just gotten married came in, wedding dress and tux. They were seated right next to us and the gentleman started to remove the jacket and Victoria quietly explained that it had to remain on and he did put it back on right away. But it was handled very discreetly.

Heather :wave2:

Originally posted by UKDEB

Rant coming -

It is (or should be) frowned upon at any restaurant to remove the jacket once seated. I know that this is now an extremely common practice, but I have never thought it proper to do so and I hate it.

End rant.

Agree with BobNC, you can "forget" your jacket and V/A's will provide you with one. Never been to V/As but once my husband and I went to hear a cabaret singer and the club turned out to be swankier than we thought, so they gave him a jacket. This practice is not uncommon and is always handled with grace and sensitivity. Calling ahead that day to have the size ready is a good idea.

I'm with madalex. It is never proper to take your jacket off when you're required to wear one. To the OP I say that a basic blue blazer is the best idea. If you shop around I'm sure you can find one easily for between fifty and one hundred dollars. Enjoy V&A's, it was one of my top three favorite meals of all time.

Thanks for all the info...

I guess we will probably be buying one... he isn't comfortable borrowing. I know that it won't be cheap - he doesn't have one, and if we are going to spend the money, it is going to be a good one that will last him for years and years and years.

Good idea.
A blue blazer is perfect for almost any occasion (in addition to dining out) and I've had my J. C. Penny one for a # of years now.

Good choice with the blue blazer, it will serve him well. Also, look at it this way... now you have it to go back to V&A on your next trip! (Though... you can probably get a jacket cheaper than the cost of a meal at V&A's).

Can't wait... I'm going there myself in 31 days :bounce:

My husband does not own a sportscoat either. He is so big that one does not fit him in the shoulders and arms. He does not wear a suit or jacket for work, so it is not feasable to have one tailored for him. He changes sizes so much as well. Might I suggest checking out a thrift store? My BIL needed a suit for a funeral and they have no money so he found one at at thrift store and looked very nice. I have eaten in many fine restaurants and think it is silly for a restaurant to require jackets to remain on and such. I eat gourmet in my pjs sometimes and it might even taste better that way. V&A is going for that old school charm, though and it kind of fits in the theme. You might be more comfortable in another restaurant. I like more hip, trendier restaurants myself. Do not stress on a sports coat for a nice dinner. Chances are if he does not have one, he will be uncomfortable. Just enjoy each other and a nice meal. You see, i have given up on my husband years ago!!

You also might want to look at TJ Maxx, marshalls, SYMS, Value City, Ross or K&G. Maybe even EBAY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter