V&A - really need a sports coat?

A few years back we wanted to have dinner at a country club where we were members. The main dining room was 'jacket required', but off of the main dining room was a beautiful porch where we always ate and jackets were not required there.

One night we showed up with DH just in a golf shirt and dress slacks and they told us that a jacket was required. We requested the porch and were told it was being remodeled. They offered to lend DH a jacket which he accepted and we were seated in the main dining room. After a few minutes, my husband said he 'had' to take off the jacket because it 'smelled dirty' as if it needed to be cleaned yesterday or even prior.

Within seconds the maitre d' was at our table and told him that they wouldn't require a jacket unless they wanted it to be worn throughout the dinner and he had to put it back on. My husband told him of the situation and it didn't make any difference: the jacket must stay on.

We left without dinner. We also left our membership expire even though they had a great golf course. Something was unpalatable about a dining room that prefers a multi user smelly jacket over a clean golf shirt.

I realize that this is not the same situation, but best idea is to take your own jacket.

Man, I will never forget how embarrassed DH was when we wandered into a restaurant (it was called the White Horse Tavern) and DH reasoned it was probably pretty casual because it was, after all, a tavern. Well, not exactly. They refused to seat us of course...he has not gotten over it to this day!

this is all so very helpful for me. i just made a PS today for V & A's on our wedding night. i know that the male has to wear a jacket so it's really no big deal to us. but, reading that they lend you one in case you don't show up with one makes things a little easier for me now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter