Valet for only cars?

Wislodgers

Mouseketeer
We are going to VWL with my family in Dec. There are 12 of us going and we are driving down in my parents 40 ft motorcoach. My DH and I were laughing about pulling up to the lodge and asking for it to be valet parked.

It started out tongue-in-cheek, but then I got to wondering......Would they valet almost any vehicle, and what would you have to tip :earseek:

We just got back from a 2night Vero/4 night VWL and now I am in full blown planning mode for our Dec. trip! :banana: We are staying 5 nights at SOG and 5 nights at VWL!

Of course you are joking, right? :crazy:

I mean, why would you want someone who hasn't ever driven a motorhome (let alone tried to park one) to park it for you? Were you hoping Disney would pay for a new one???? :rotfl2:

Best wishes -

P.S. Sounds like a fun trip!

Perhaps they will valet it at Fort Wilderness? :teeth:

Seriously though, don't you need some sort of special heavy equipment permit to drive that thing?

MG

DVCconvert said:
Surprisingly--NO! :scared1:

Just an ordinary driver's licence covers it (kudos to the RV lobby)
Over the years I've owned 3 motorhomes, since 1980. Our current one is 34 feet.

I don't think there's any RV lobby about licenses. Remember RV's originally were quite small, and even today some are just conversion type vans no larger than a SUV. And then the other end of the spectrum the huge diesel pusher motor coaches.

Keep in mind it's not unique to RV's. You can go out today and rent a huge truck from U-Haul and drive it using your regular license.

However if you were to drive that same size truck for a local delivery service you'd need a CDL (Commercial Driver's License). The difference is that in one case you're driving yourself and in the other you're being paid to drive.

Back to the original OP, if it's a 40 foot motorcoach it's a diesel pusher. It would be insane to just let anyone drive that thing. I'm guessing Disney would refuse to valet it.

However feel free to drive up that way to unload. Just keep it out of the way of all the others checking in.

You may park an RV that size at VWL, but be sure you park it way in the back out of the way of other cars. Back alongside the exit road is best.

For further information, you cannot park any RV's at SSR. You cannot park any RV over 24' long at OKW. You cannot park an RV in the regular lots at BWV, but can in the outer lot up by the guard shack. At VWL and BCV you can park in the regular lots, but park way at the backside and leave the other spaces available for owners with cars who will be coming and going.

And then the other end of the spectrum the huge diesel pusher motor coaches.

Keep in mind it's not unique to RV's. You can go out today and rent a huge truck from U-Haul and drive it using your regular license.

Agreed.
But it seems to me over the years I have heard or read press accounts that encapsulized the discussion as to if that "class" of vechicle should be regulated or not. And my recollection is that there was an entity or two that argued it should not be. That's all I can recall about it.

I too have rented (once) a camper, the sort your cab is open to the cabin for a week, and it was alot of fun (no 'accidents' either! :teeth: )

Actually, I was kidding...Can you imagine some valet driving that beast through the parking lot! In the past, the valets wave us to the lower "bus" drive through and we unload from there before parking it. Some years some of us have stayed at VWL and others stay in the bus at Fort Wilderness. We were not able to get a campsite in Dec, so we are all roughing it at SOG and the VWL!

We have 3 very capable men in our group that are drivers. All three have their CDL's, but CDL's are not required to drive it because it is classified as an RV.

My parents purchased the motorcoach and the whole family kicked in their various skills and did a complete conversion. We have quite a crew that travels! BTW, the kids have dubbed the bus, "The Disney Express" so if you see it waaaay back in the lot at WL or at SOG, you know we are there!

We have traveled to Disney World in it every year for the past 6 years and even ventured out to Disneyland with it in '02. It takes us about 30 hours to get from home to the lodge in the bus, but our CA trip was 46 hours! Since we have 3 drivers we just buckle the kids in and drive straight through!

I wanted to add....Our kids have driven straight through so many times that their sense of travel is warped. We went for a weekend to a place about 5 hours away. When we arrived at our destination, the kids were shocked that we were "already" there!

Well, I for one, think you should pull up to the curb, smile your sincerest smile, and hand the keys to one of the valets and just wait and see what happens!

I guess I just think that sometimes we become victims of taking life waaayyy too seriously. I'd love to have a photo of the valet's faces when you hand them the keys....Actually, my guess is that they would simply park it.
But do have a camera ready!

Just as an FYI, I was talking to a WDW valet the other night about this very topic. They are not allowed to move RV's, trucks, limo's, any commercial vehicle, or most high performance/exotic/luxury car such as a Bentleys, Ferarri's, etc. In the case of the high performance cars they operate very differently as far as shifting, and unless you've driven one before, you wouldn't want to.

Anne

They always Valet parked my parent's Rialta at the Boardwalk. It was a small Winnebego RV that handled about the same as a van. A lot of the valets knew my parents and still remember them because of the Rialta. Now that they have a much bigger RV they have to park it themselves in the back lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter